Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery scheduled for this Monday (11-24)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,
I am going in Monday morning for my L4-L5 fusion with laminectomy (not sure what that is). Wish me luck! I have a lot of people praying for me! My NS said it is a 50/50 chance this will work. It just has to!!! I will be in the hospital for 2-5 days, depending on my recovery. It will be interesting when I get home as I have 4 small children (ages 7,5,3,1). My hubby will be home for 2 weeks. Then we have friends/family coming to help out. I will post when I can and am feeling up to it.

Thanks
Jaime
advertisement

Comments

• Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Keep us posted, ok?
  • Thank you, I will. How was your recovery after your fusion?? I will have hardware. Not sure how the pain will be and for how long...??
  • Jaime, good luck to you on Monday. Use your meds, follow the rules, and keep on healing. It is tough at times, but it definitely gets better. Remember, progress is measured in weeks and months, not in days. Keep all that extra help coming, the more the merrier. We'll see you back here soon, so best wishes for a successful surgery, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • I am sure everthing will go well for you.
    I know you said hubby will be home for 2 weeks so save your friends till he does back to work as you will still be needing some help them, especially with 4 kids :))(
    Get the older kids to help, pick up things, make a sandwich for the younger ones etc.
    They will feel good if they can help you too.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Good luck to you hun. I will be in that day to for a different issue!!! O:)
    Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. Huge PLUS hubby could take the 2 weeks off. That will be awesome as your going to want to sleeeppppp I) I) I) I)

Your recovery question. Each person is different. Drag up the recovery thread from Aug/Sept surgeries. They are all very unique. I think we lost it a page or two back 8}

Like others said. Take your meds to the "T". Go by your drs instructions to the "T".
    It will hopefully be a different type of pain. Surgical and not back. It does take awhile for alot of us to feel good, and to know surgery did its job. Some have woken up because the pain was so bad in the first place and felt AWESOME.
    So you will never know till your done.

Make sure you have that grabber next to ya at all times.
    I forget mine alot and OH BOY you can feel it later on in the day.

LOTS AND LOTS of re usable ice packs. Matter of fact I am going to buy more tonight. They feel so good on the incision. It numbs the pain away. Especailly the deep ache.

Anything else you can think of before you leave ask away.
    You shall do just fine!!!!

Terri O:) >:D<
  • As Terri said, all of us have different stories to tell about recovery. =)) Just remember that it is a looong road! Don't even think about holding those babies of yours! O:) You probably won't be allowed to pick up anything that weighs more than a gallon of milk. If you try to do otherwise, those back muscles will really scream at you! It's great that your hubby can be with you for 2 weeks---you will need all the help you can get!

After those first 2 weeks, you will probably be more mobile and might be tempted to do things you shouldn't do...like bend, lift or twist. }:) Don't do it! Even something as innocent as trying to put something in the oven is hurtful to me at 5 months post op.

You will do fine as long as you remember to:

:D follow your docs orders to a T

:< no blt

<:P take your meds on a regular schedule (you won't get addicted in the few weeks you need to take them every 4-6 hours). It's a good idea to write down what you take at what time since your brain will do tricks on you.

>:D< be sure to have prunes or whatever you prefer for constipation...it's a given you will have this unless you are prepared beforehand. Pain meds do that to you.

I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for you >:D<
  • We will be watching for your progress post-surgery! I am sure it will go well.

Like others have said it is very good you have folks coming to help out after your husband goes back to work. You will still need lots of help then. One of the hardest things about this recovery is having the patience to NOT push yourself too much. You feel like you should be doing things around the house, you get tired of feeling so helpless and you feel bad about watching your spouse or family do all the work - so you try to do things yourself and often it is a really bad idea. Will you have a brace? They are a pain but will help you to remember to not bend or twist. It is amazing how little can be done around the house without bending or twisting. But perhaps your little ones can help by picking things up from low shelves, the floor, etc for you!

You asked about pain after surgery - mine has not been bad at all. I had to stop taking pain meds and muscle relaxers after about 2 weeks cause they made me feel so awful. I have used only ice and heat since and it has been OK. I have some aches but nothing awful. But everyone is so different.

Take your meds, let yourself rest and heal, walk when you can - and try to be patient with the recovery process!

Good luck on Monday!

• jaime- best wishes on surgery Mon..Hopefully you will be in and out of the hospital in no time and on the road to recovery...Having hubby there for 2 weeks will help alot as you will be fatigued from all the anesthesia, meds and the surgery itself.
    And all the extra family and friends will help as you will need some extra help with yourself and the family..My church brought meals to me for 3 or 4 weeks and it was a life-saver..I don't think they will ever know how much that meant to me..Just have the house ready for you post-op. There is a list or 2 here of things to have ready...take care...jade
  • I had my 360 fusion at the same level 12 days ago and I cannot believe how far I have come. I have driven, gone out numerous times for lunch/dinner. I have a disc replacement and hardwear and so far so good. I wish you luck and keep a positive attitude. The first days are the worst but not as bad as before surgery. Best Wishes
advertisement