Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kinda Bummed Out

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm really bummed out...I wanted to go shopping early for Christmas and for grandson's birthday. Pain behind the knee now prevents me from going. I can only walk a short bit before it hurts like the dickens. I've been nursing it all week, trying to stay off of it, but nothing seems to help. The doc did up the Neurotin to 3 x a day, but so far it's not helping. I realize it's just another part of the healing process, but it's really a bummer.
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to here your in so much pain. I know how you feel, last year besides my back i fell down a step and snapped my ankle. I had to do all my shopping online. Did you know at 12 am on black friday they have the same specials as in the stores?

And free shipping... It was great... My ups guy k ows me well now.lol He was deliverying everyday. And i will look later i just bought a magazine and it has all the secrets of internet shopping and where to use coupon codes or print out for the stores or use online.

I know its much more fun to look in the stores, but i enjoyed the convienance of online shopping. I hope you feel better.

sincereley, dawn
  • Thanks! I will definitely try the on-line shopping trip. Sounds a lot more doable than going to the stores at this time. Now, why didn't I think of that!
  • I so empathize with you about shopping. I tried yesterday to do a bit of shopping - wanting to get stuff done before Thanksgiving. I did not do much but am really paying for it today! I hate this! (Maybe if I had not tried to do it after an hour of PT and an hour of sitting in a meeting and then out to lunch???) Anyway, back to Internet shopping for me.

How old is your grandson?
  • This grandson will be turning 5. Can't believe the time has gone by so quickly. I also have a grandson who is 18 and a freshman at Radford University, a granddaughter who is 10, and a grandson who will turn 1 on Dec. 31. I am blessed!

Yeah, I think you totally did too much in one day...sorry you're having to pay the price!
  • Aren't the little ones fun to shop for? We have grandchildren who are 3, 8, 9 and 10 as well as the 2 college-age boys of my husband's oldest son. They are all sweeties! We will not be with them this Christmas so I wanted to get gifts shipped ASAP.

But, I, too will look for free shipping on-line and starting clicking!

• joy- I like shopping but it seems I rarely get to as I pay a price for too much activity..sigh..
    I have bought gift cards before at big pharmacies here like Walgreens and CVS and they carry a whole variety. I am the pharamcy alot anyway so I will probably do that..

The on-line shopping sounds like fun but I am terrible with decisions. I tried to buy new curtains and looked for hour upon hour and ended up with nothing. #o I just gave up as I got sore and tired from sitting and then confused as to what the color was on my computer screen. :/
    I would probably give it a go again if I find free shipping. =D> But enjoy shopping for the little ones as it is always nice to see the pure happiness of young children... B) jade
  • joy im sorry hunny ;)
    same thing is happening here and as you can see your not alone in the holiday shopping dilema.
    we went to the mall the other night after the drs. besides my legs that look like i am walking prego. i also paid the next day with my back and such.
    we were going out tonight to just to walmart. i would love to get out before monday BUT BUT BUT to think about what i will feel like tomorrow is not worth it.

i also agree on one hand internet shopping can be a pain. its hard to visualize something without it in your hand. :? :?

joy do you mabye have some arthritis going on back there on that knee?? im just curious even with last yrs surgery it was mainly my hips and lower back. but then of course everyone is different with different pains.

lots of love to ya!! it in the teens here and the wind is howling ughhhhh
  • Shopping tips
    artice: save even more on black friday, save even more on black friday. get ready for black friday sales by printing out the free shopping planner at :

WWW.organizedchristmas.com/printable/houseworks-holiday-plan/sales-planner.COM

ARTICLE" beat the crowds you can get them and even sleep in by ordering from retailers websites at 12.01 am friday.

dont forget AAA card discounts 15% off circuit city and linens and things. plus both of these stores are going out of business in alot of locations so everything is already on sale now.

another magazine: overstock.com save 10% off entire purchase at checkout. promo code: 129399

amazon offers free shipping on most items and they are toys r us too so i ordered alot last year on the black friday sales on the website.

good houskeeping magazine article: go to; goodhouskeeping.com/dec08 for daily coupon calender to save big on holiday shopping avoid crowds shop online.

join now to save and earn 20% back and 30% off gap sephora, walmart, macy's, target, toys r us etc. www.holidays.goodhousekeepingrewards.com

HOPE THIS HELPS ALL THAT ARE LIKE ME AND FIND IT HARD TO SHOP AND STAND IN LONG LINES. I read alot of ho;liday magazines for recipes and ideas around the holidays so im stocked up on ideas but havent had a chance to read them all.

i will definetely post all i can to help as i find the deals.

also everyone who gets bed bath and beyond coupons they are also good at linens and things. and even though they may be expired bed bath beyons policy is there coupons never expire so bring them all or use them online to save 20%.

BE BACK WITH MORE INFO LATER IF THIS WAS HELPFUL TO SOME.

DAWN
  • dawn- thanks for all the shopping tips and especially coupons... :) jade
  • Sorry you are going through this NOW...this is a difficult time of the year to not be able to get things done! Can your children help out by shopping for your grandchildren; i know i did this for my mom and mother-in law when my kids were young...it helped them out a lot and I was better at shopping for them anyway!
    Has the doctor done any tests on your knee? I was having pain in my neck and arm again. After mri for my neck came back good; he sent me for shoulder mri..that found tears and calcification tendinitis..Your knee might me something completely unrelated to your surgery. Hope you feel better soon! Donna
  • Joy, sorry you are feeling bad with the knee. Get it checked out, maybe you can go to some PT to help it out. I see knee people at my PT place all the time. Take care, and yep, the web is a great place to shop. Just make sure to use reputable sites. I bought something once from a store I had never heard of. Well it never came, but of course thay charged my credit card for it. When I tried to call or email no response, so I was jipped. Have a nice weekend, stay warm, and baby that knee. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • I am so sorry for your pain! I am only 27 and also have debhilitating back pain a lot of the time. I have also found the online shopping has been my saving grace (I am a shopaholic!). However, there are those days that I wanted to really go to the store when my pain was really flared up..I have a walker that has a seat on it. Yes, thats right, I am 27 and have been open to using a walker:-)

It is great because anytime you feel tired or have extra pain, you can just sit down wherever you are.
  • I usually get gift cards for restaurants for the whole family. Because they go there all the time. One thing about online shopping is wow you should see the total gets really big. Last time I shopped for new clothes and it came to $430. Sorry you couldn't make it out shopping but online is so convenient. Take care. From Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Joy,
    Did you have surgery on the knee? Did the doctor look at it? Im not sure if this is a usual problem for you ro not. But i get knee flare ups and they call it bursitis. I keep it elevated and use heat after the first 2 days. ice the first 24 hrs it starts. They can give you a shot also to take the inflammation down if neccessary. But im sure you seen your doctor already and asked all this right?

Just dont know if this is a new problem you have or a chronic thing.

feel better

dawm
  • my son goes to Radford University too as a grad student. Just thought it was neat to see that school mentioned.
    julie
  • I feel I can actually go and do some shopping for the first time in years.
    Alas I have no money to shop with =)) Isn't that just typical!
    I have been making all my Christmas and birthday presents. My neices turn 21 nest week (twins) and I have made them sequined christmas ornaments. 21 for each of them and 1 special one with their name on it. Each ball took me about 5 hours so I really hope they apprecieate this as I have been making them since April.

Joy- when I was unable to shop, I did occassionally go to Westfiled and get a ride on scooter to do my shopping with. I know it is a step down but boy it really made a difference. Plus I got preferential parking.
    I am sure your malls would have the same there.

Hope the knee improves soon. Can you get anyone to massage it for you?

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I appreciate so much everyone's encouraging remarks and tips for shopping! The pain behind my knee has let up a little and I might go for a "trial run" today at the Toys R Us store either today or tomorrow. Don't worry...I won't even try to over do! I've been resting the knee for the past 3 days or so. I hope my OS is right and this is just part of the healing process and not a new issue. I've never had problems with my knee before. I guess the pain is more in the hamstring than in the actual knee itself. Will keep ya'll posted. Again, thanks!
  • I used the litle motorized w/c's and it was great, didnthave to walk it! lol My daughter was completely mortified, cuz lets just say they take a little getting used to and stop on a dime, but made it easier on the back and legs. Just a thought....:)
  • When I first had my surgery, I used one of those carts. Oh, boy! What was I thinking? An old woman, on drugs, trying to back up!!! Not a pretty sight!
  • Maybe you should wrap your knee if its and option to avoid hurting yourself. Please be careful. Have fun hon.

dawn
  • I laughed a your post about using the motorized cart. My attempt at that was a disaster! I crashed into displays when trying to back up and at about 2 hours into shopping the battery died and there I was in the middle of Walmart with a full basket and no power. Had to go get someone to tow it back after I transferred all my stuff to a regular shopping cart for checkout. Not a big deal but I felt very stupid. Maybe it is better that I not use one and not shop long as my bill that day was way too much.

But take it easy on that knee so it does not flare up again!
  • I certainly hope your nieces appreciate the ornaments and all the work and love that went into them! What a wonderful gift. (I am always so impressed with people who can make beautiful things - my attempts always look like something a not-too-talented kindergarten child might do.)
  • =)) =)) =)) Way too funny! I can totally relate to your story! At least we can still laugh at yourselves (and why not? everyone else is!)

Sara...what a wonderful thing for you to do! I hope they are old enough to treasure these forever! Can you send me one? What a sweet auntie you are!
  • I could not help but laugh when I visualized the mnotorized cars and especially the car with the dead battery. =))
    I am too afraid to drive one of those cars in the store as I imagine me wrecking or hitting someone..I notice people getting too close to me when I use my cane and either try to pass me or expect me to twist so they can squeeze by. L) .You know, hellooo.. I am having trouble walking so please don't knock me over. L) .I just stop in my tracks and let them twist to get by... #:S jade
advertisement