Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain that goes to groin

redjoyrredjoy Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
I've had lower back pain off & on thru the yrs not alot but when I got it one swift sharp pain across lower back & thats it out of commission. Funny wasn't even lifting anything just reaching for cup etc. This is different pain in lower back that goes to groin area & leg on one side. I've had this quite awhile esp since it turned cold out. Anyone have a name for this & any help. Usually a chiro helps but now trying to find a good one that gives good adjustment.
advertisement

Comments

• I developed pain in left hip and groin about a year ago - it seems to be a mystery what it is. Right after surgery I thought it was gone but as I began walking more it came back. After about 12 min of walking I get hip pain and occasional sharp groin pain. It has been diagnosed as piriformis syndrome. a problem with the psoas muscle, hip bursitis, my lumbar issues and even diverticulitis. In other words, no one seems to know. I have had chiropratic, acupuncture, injections, PT, ultrasound and massage. Actually, massage and some of the exercises I did in Pilates seemed to help more than anything. It is frustrating and sometimes quite painful. Sometimes when walking I can stop and stretch my leg a bit and it goes away for a few minutes.

I hope you have more luck than I in diagnosing and treating the groin pain!

• Thanks, I seem to remember me checking awhile back about the psoas muscle after I got a massage & it was mentioned. My husband had a problem w/that yrs back & it's a pain to try & fix. I never thought of diverticulitis though causing that.
  • can be the source of the problem. My SI joints are really messed up right now, so it affects my hip, then goes into my groin.

I have had work done on my psoas muscle in the past, too; it's a painful one to work on, but I felt SUCH relief once the spasms were worked out of it.

I would suggest you try a physiotherapist instead of a chiropractor, if you can; they work with more manual manipulation, but have the other modalities (i.e. ultrasound, interferential, TENS, etc.) that may help give you relief depending on where the source of the pain is.

Good luck with that....I'm dealing with the same thing right now, and it stops me in my tracks at time when I'm walking or even standing.

Tracy
  • refers to the groin and coccyx, so I am told.

Seems there are a few things that can stir it up. Shame cos mines been a pain (lol!) for a while now!!

Take Care

• During PT., the therapist told me most of my issues were based from my SI joints.She once showed me how referred pain worked it was a strange concept.Back on topic:

I have had multiple severe spasms in that region that affect my hip(cold days aggravate to no end) and on one occasion my groin area hurt real bad thought a hernia had happened.
  • I also started getting the groin pain recently. It hurts :''( . It is like in my upper inner thigh area on the left. BUT, I still have pain everywhere else too. I also get hip pain, knee pain, weird :S :S
  • Yes, that is the exact location of my groin pain, too!
  • I found this forum by searching on referred groin pain. I have been dealing with this for about 10 years on and off. No doctor has ever been able to (or cared to) find out the cause of it. I don't have insurance. I had a car accident 14 years ago and suffered a ruptured disc in my neck (c5-c6) and I've had lower back issues ever since the birth of my son in 1977. About 10 years ago I got my first groin pain. It just comes out of the blue and feels like an electric cattle prod. The pain will last anywhere between 1 and 30 seconds and then be gone. Then another one will come sometimes a minute later and sometimes 20 minutes later. Most of the time the episode will last for a few hours and then be gone. Sometimes to come back a few weeks later and sometimes I will not have an episode for over a year. Whenever I have told doctors about it they, at first, think it's my ovaries. But once I point to the exact spot they all say "oh that's more in your leg". It is in the indentation between my body and my inner thigh. One doctor said it's right on the femoral nerve. The one time that I went a year and half without an episode, I was doing 1 hour of pilates a day. Does anyone have any advice for me? I live in constant fear of the pain, it is so intense. I am always on edge that it's going to strike.

Thanks for listening.
  • I know how you feel & it stinks, sometimes pain in lower back & thigh but it's nothing like the groin pain as you all know. Funny I saw where you mentioned ovaries, I sometimes think that because the pain is just like it. The only thing is it started after the bad fall I took so I never looked into that. Femoral nerve was mentioned to me too. I go this week for phys therapy this week finally so we'll see, nothing else worked except I found a bottle of 600mg ibiprofen & took one it the pain let up. Dr had given me hydrocodene & it did nothing.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.