Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about MMJ and allergies

JWMJJWM Posts: 291
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
There's no definitive 'common side effects; severe side effects; drug interactions' document online for Medical Marijuana, so..

I have mild pollen/plant allergies, nothing extreme though. Every time I medicate with marijuana by smoking, to a 'well medicated' degree, I find that my nose gets stuffy, but dry, shortly after, and then it goes away after 30-60 minutes, sometimes longer. I don't experience these effects when ingesting edibles, or using a vaporizer. Neither of those methods introduces plant material into your body, so I figure it's just that I'm slightly allergic to the plant material, but not the THC. It is not likely related to pollen, as typical medical grade marijuana is harvested from female ONLY plants which contain no pollen.

That would make something like this following article a bit irrelevant unless you work with maybe marijuana cultivation for hemp fiber harvesting I suppose? NYTimes article

I feel like it's an odd topic to start, but it's not really. You can be allergic to pretty much ANYTHING, all the meds we take, foods, plants, perfumes, so why not. I suppose I have just never thought 'can you be allergic to marijuana?'.

That's one area where millions of americans could benefit; if we had comprehensive, unbiased information on this medicine. But, we don't.. (come on FDA! =P)

Do you have the same problem? Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

JWM
advertisement

Comments

• well considering MJ is a plant, it seems allergens to various pollens may happen esp. if grown outdoors.Of course, indoor grown would take that out of the mix more than likely, but, molds may have a bigger degree of fault IMHO.Do you have reactions to molds at all? Could be factors at the grow sites or fertilizers used as well.Edibles are usually cooked so it would negate molds effects if I remember correctly.

I know a friend of mine who for the most part is straight as an arrow-beer, cigs-- is very allergic.We were at a concert and someone in the crowd lit one up and he breathed in a bit cuz he got wheezy, red eyed, and fatigued within 20 minutes.Being musicians the substances go around our circles and I have seen it happen multiple times now.
  • Thanks for the reply. You're definitely not wrong about any of your ideas on why it could bother; the pollen one is mostly negated by the fact that the plants used are all female and don't produce pollen, unless contaminated after cutting them. It is possible a mold forms that is not visible during the curing process.. Molds are known to be relased from forests/etc during fires(burning), which is likely why the vaporizer helps; it heats the substance to just the point where the useful chemicals become a vapor, and the rest never burns.

The edibles do avoid this problem all together, as does the vaporizer, for me at least. Well, I just wondered if I was the only one.. there might be a better forum for this question, but the info could be important for those in legalized countries/states considering using it. I'm on a quest for a solid answer, as it's really not a typical allergy response, doesn't happen with tobacco, etc, and will post if I find anything compelling.

• Yes, indeed that would be informative to say the least.