Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie Intro - Looking for advice, experience with 2 level fusion (one level healed but still severe

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, all. Of course as a newbie, I forgot to post my intro before posting to a specific forum. LOOKING FOR LOTS OF ADVICE AND YOUR EXPERIENCES THAT ARE SIMILAR TO MINE.

My spine surg is recommending PLIF, L4-S1. Had a microdisc in May 06 for foot drop, sciatic pain; Had ALIF at L5-S1 in Jan 08 with therapy for six weeks starting Sept 08--not effective, went back to spine surgeon. Had two discograms: Nov 07 revealed + for L5-S1 and - for L4-5; 10/22/08 revealed severe pain in both levels, hence his recommendation for surgery. Says L5-S1 fusion healed but pain due to primarily a mechanical problem so only chance for recovery is surgery. I am 43 y.o. woman, married, 7-1/2 y.o. ACTIVE boy and 3 wonderful cats (Tuxedo, Marshmallow, Lucky). Am in same boat as most here...unable to complete most ADLs or completely exhausted from simple things like taking a shower, going to the grocery store, etc. Back pain makes history of depression/anxiety worse. Typical no sleep/pain cycle ongoing. :''(

Appreciate any and all advice and comments, experiences.

Kathy Mae

MEDS: prozac & valium for anxiety/depression (LONG history; prior to back issues); pravastatin for familial high cholesterol; tramadol, two 50 mg tabs every six hours; percocet prn--take when past a 7 pain level...not every day but 2 or 3 times per week...perks take away pain but give me this bizarre awake state, can't go to sleep, so wind up messing up sleep schedule, so prefer not to take unless above 7 level pain.

SURG:
May 06 - Microdiscectomy
Jan 08 - ALIF, L5-S1 with one titanium cage, no hardware
Proposed PLIF, L4-S1, as soon as cleared for recently diagnosed blood clotting disorder (Hemat appt on 11/25/08)
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i do not share your particular problem but we do have pain in common. ~X( i like cats too. if you can't sleep be sure and drop by the "Sleep problems" forum. I) it can make a long night less lonely. i know someone will stop by who can give you some of the advice you seek. :? good luck with your pain treatments and make yourself at home here!! Jenny :)
  • thank you for the kind welcome, Jenny...I'm hoping I'll at least gain some hope and humility as I endure these medical issues

Kathy