Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Human Body - And the Stero Effect

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
The human body is an amazing intricate work of mystery.
When its fine tuned, it can outperform any man made machinery or computer. However, when something goes wrong somewhere, it is amazing to see just how fast that can travel wrecking havoc unless it is properly treated.

We recently returned from a two week vacation in Italy. I did more walking over cobble stone streets, volcanic ash, dirt, hard stone and sand and I felt great! At the end of the day, I was exhausted and my legs said they had enough.
But I was till operating on all cylinders.

When we came home, things slowly changed. At first, I started feeling a lot of tightness in my lower lumbar and shortly, a flare of of sciatic started. Then my neck started in, I was having trouble turning. I am already limited in the range of motion because of ACDF surgeries and plates, but I had been doing fine up till now.. Still nothing alarming.. Then my thoracic area start to burn and stab and I know once that happened, the rest was going to pile on. I had troubles with my shoulders, my pecks we so tight, I could not lift my arms more than 45 derees.

So back to my Deep Tissue Massage person who told me the solution to my problem is to retire and head back to Italy!.
I wish! He started on my thoracic area, but has been concentrated on my major and minor peck muscles and THAT HURTS. I am also in PT for Ultrasound, Heat/Ice and mild stretching.

So, here I went to feeling pretty good, doing more than I have been able to do in over a year, did not overdue anything (my wife wouldn't let me) and my human stereo kicked in. First it was there, then it traveled and not to be undone, the other side of my body started.

It is amazing to see how the body operates. All it takes it for something to go wrong in one area and in a quick time, it starts to snowball. This is nothing new and it happens to all of us.

Good thing to know is that I am older and perhaps a bit wiser to know this is a flareup and I take the correct measures to get me back on track.

Maybe instead of a stereo body, I could be Mono!

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Ron I am glad you had a wondewrful holiday. I think you should just thank you finely tuned body for turning down the volume and allowing you to get on with things. :P

Seriously though, I hope things settle for you soon. Linda

• RON,

I TOO WENT TO ITALY FOR A MONTH IN 2005.

RON You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Istarted for sight seeing in rome.

Then stayed in napoli /naple. I love it there it is the real deal. alot of hill steps, walking and you dont even realize it because your having so much fun.

The food is so fresh and delicious. I took ferry to capri, ischia. and drove to positano, which positano was wonderful place to go and a grea bakery there too.

I wanted to move there as my family all came from calibrea

no exaggeration i lost 25 pounds that month and i did alot of eating. tried every restauraunt and fresh markets to cook myself. best tomatoes i ever had in my life.

where did you go? what part? I have tons of fun pictures if anyone would like to see my trip just let me know.

I love italy =D> and ron made we want to go back. :)))

my doctor told me americans have the highest level of stress and pain because we are always in a hurry, rush, rush he says. he is from europe. and he is right i came back pain free at that time and went off meds i was taking and i was taking methadone and percocet at that time and just stopped and stayed off.

when i came back it slowly creeped back up again as it did for ron.

come on ron when is the next flight o italy? lol lets go....

DAWN DE NARDO.... ITALIAN GIRL FROM THE USA
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Ron, When that happens to me, I get depressed, bad, I need to take a lesson from you!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I have the same thing when I go on cruises! I absolutely love the Caribbean (southern especially) and even tho I hurt, something about sitting out on my balcony drinking coffee seems to melt the pain away from the sightseeing I've done. When I do get sore at the end of a busy day I just hop in the hot tub and relax and that feels oh so good! (I need to get me one of those at home!) ;)

Not sure when my next cruise will be, but for me, the 2nd best thing is Florida, and I'll be there in 7 months! =D> 8>

So glad you had such a great time, and glad you're back too! :)
  • I'm going to Italy. I'm tired of the shoulder pain and PT. Sounds like I just need to get away and enjoy some beautiful scenery for a while.
    I wonder if a trip to the Smokey Mountains might suffice for now? Just to sit on the front porch of a log cabin and breathe in the fresh mountain air and watch the bears. Now Ron you have me thinking. :?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.