Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dynesys spine stabilazation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi im new here.i had the dynesys fusion to L4/5 and s1 8 months ago. I am doing well but still have some bad days, i have trouble bending to use cylinder hoover, carry heavy shopping, or drive for longer than an hour. Also trouble sleeping in any position except for right side.I dont take pain killers except paracetamol but use hot water bottle a lot. I walk a lot but this gives me quite a lot of discomfort. Intimate relations with my husband is difficult and can be quite painfull. Does anyone els still have pain at 8 months?. I am very depressed as i have actively been applying for work for the last 3 months, but no-one will take me on, i think as soon as they read about my surgery they dont want to know. Has any one else had this problem and any suggestions please !!!
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to SH.

I hope you find support here on the boards.
    To answer some of your queries -

I had Dyneses as well, however it failed to secure my spine so it had to be removed. I had significant reduction in my pain problems for at least 3 months though before it all went wrong!!

Regards your work applications - get holdof Access to work - they can help you back into work and via a disability adviser at Jobcentre.
    Disability Discrimination is big stiff - look into it. Employers can't not take you on just because of your health
    issues. Look up Disability Discrimination Act.

Regards exercise and stuff - do only what your body will allow. The no bending lifting twisting rule is good for us spine patients for now and forever. Be super careful and see if you are not aggrivating your delicate spine in simple daily movements. This is one area that has taken me forever to master as my pain triggers after the event.

Relations - Be passive and gentle. There is info on this site, ideas etc.

Don't be depressed, you are doing so very well thus far, you are only taking paracetamol (an under estimated medicine I add) which is very good in the scheme of things.

Take Care and keep smiling!!!
  • Hi Julia and welcome to spine-health.com

I have had a fusion at L5-S1, but no dyneses. My pain took over a year to finally subside. I know its tough going for you, but it can take quite a while. Did you do any form physical therapy rehab programme after surgery? I think that such a programme is extremely important.

All the best and keep us posted with your progress... Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hi Julia -

I had a Dynesys there, too. I had mine there and the level above it.

I had it for discogenic pain.

I still have ALL my original pain. I am worthless! It has been 13 months now. I have my original pain PLUS surgical pain -- I have NOT gotten over the surgery -- I have surgical pain plus muscle issues -- I can't drive until around 11am in the mornings -- It was NEVER like that before surgery. I can't sleep b/c of the pain -- I used to sleep so well once I was out. Sex is horrid and frightful. I'm trying to hang on w/ a husband and little kids, and it hurts just to get to the mailbox. I just now, at 12 months post-op, got released to sedentary work several hours a day -- I don't know how in the world I will do that, but I will try. Nobody wants me, either!

Hang in there! I've heard of people feeling better as late as 12 or 18 months post-op ------- 8 months is pretty early, I think you'll do fine! My pain md actually said he looks for the discs to begin healing at 6 months , so you might actually be on track! Good luck!!