Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Guess it's my turn

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Spinal Injections
Well here I am 6+ weeks after my RF Rhizotomy, and I can tell no difference than before the procedure. I understand that it can take 8 weeks for the full effects of the procedure, but by the day my discouragement grows. :W

It saddens me to see others post because they just need to vent, but it sure is good to get it all out! Thanks for letting me step up and waste a little bandwidth when there's others that certainly are more entitled to do so.
Jay
advertisement

Comments

• I don't see this as a waste of bandwidth. I feel that you have a legitimate reason to vent and am glad that you did. I've had 6 rhizotomies and never did any of them take more than 4 weeks to make a noticeable difference. I've had a couple that didn't work at all, a couple that lasted 3 months and the other ones are still holding. It's really crazy how the nervous system reacts. No guarantees with any of it.

Have you had a follow up with the doc that did the procedure?

"C"
  • I had a follow up 2 weeks after the procedure, next visit is on Dec 16. If my current meds are close to running out before then I'll try & schedule sooner but I'm pretty sure I know they'll advise me to be patient (as opposed to 'a patient').

When yours didn't take, how long after did you get another? I'm a bit worried that I may have to do it again but I don't look forward to scheduling it a month out and waiting another 2 months after that to see if it works. :(

Jay
  • My PM docs recommended that I not have any of them repeated since it appears that I am developing CRPS in the adjacent area. I have since had a spinal cord stimulator implanted and have to continue using the anti-seizure meds to help control the pain from those nerves.

I found that each doc has their own thought process, methodology or time line for if and when they would redo a rhizotomy.

"C"
  • I am so sorry to hear that you haven't got any relief yet from this procedure. This procedure is the only thing that I have found that helps my pain. I am curious, were you awake during the procedure? My doc says that is the only way to make sure that the correct nerve is burned. I am always awake and able to tell him when he hits the correct nerve.
  • Yes, I was awake and had to tell the doc when he was stimulating the individual nerves. Weird thing is each nerve had a different feeling. I have an appointment in 2 weeks and will see what the doc says. I hope the pain levels stop increasing by then, in the past week they've been worsening a bit.
  • Jay, I thought it was 8 weeks for the nerves to die, and that was the time when your pain can actually be worse. I wouldn't get discouraged just yet.

Wishing you the best.
  • Thank you, I tell myself the same thing every day, it's not 8 weeks yet, don't get too worked up yet :)))

I have two weeks for my next doctor appointment, I'll be telling the doc I want to discontinue the Valium unless he can give me a reason to stay on it and see what they say about the rhizotomy.

I think I drive my family crazy because I don't complain, they keep a pretty good eye out for me because I will do things that I shouldn't be doing. I sure hope we can beat this!
    Jay
advertisement