Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

They use this for kids but why not for adults?

ouchoouch Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Depression and Coping
I have noticed that with children, therapy for depression and or anxiety, anger and so on includes art. They give the children colored pencils, crayons, art supplies, etc and have them draw their illness, family, disease or source of pain. Psychologists use this regularly with children, but why does it have to stop with children? I think that as adults, we should tap into our inner thoughts and feelings as well. Why not express ourselves through art or drawing? It doesn't matter if we can draw well, that isn't the point. It is expressing what we feel through art. I have heard that journaling is good, haven't you? So, as we journal, why not draw what we feel ... ask yourself "What do you feel like today neck?" (Or whatever body part is injured on you) Then just draw. Let the pen flow. Draw what your injured body part would say in return. I did this just this morning after my cousin recommended it on Thanksgiving day. It was interesting, and I must say that when I tried it, it brought out some sad feelings that were buried. But it helped to get them out and to express them. Try this and let me know what you think. I don't know what this expression is called if anything and I am not a shrink. I am just someone hurting just like you, looking to both be encouraged and to encourage others. Good luck and good drawing!
advertisement

Comments