Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heyas! New to site.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey all just wanted to drop in here and give a lil back story about me since I just joined the site.

I'm 29 years old married to my *rock* we've been married for 7 years and he has been through the death of my mother, 26yr old brother and 3 back surgeries with me. I can't imagine a better match for me :)

I first had a Laminectomy by an Ortho at the age of 16. Everyone was hesitant because of my age but I was barely able to walk cause of the nerve pain down the buttocks/leg. I would do it again in a heart beat it worked great. This time was L5-S1

Fast-forward to 2007, 12 years later. I was at work one day and the child I was taking care of (I am a nanny) was sleeping. I was sitting on the couch when all the sudden my entire left leg went numb. All the way from my buttocks to my toes. Getting scared I immediately had the father come home from work and rushed to the ER. By that time I had started also having severe back pain. Had the normal work up of seeing the Neurosurgeon, MRI etc. Decided on a Micro Discectomy on L4-L5 I was very happy and recovered quickly.

Fast-forward to August 27, 2008. Standing in my kitchen making dinner started having acute pain down my left leg, buttocks and back. By the time I woke up ( or in reality tossed and turned all night awake) my husband took me to the ER. It was a weekend so I really was just going to get some pain relief. Having been through this so many times now I knew what was going on. Just needed to wait to see Neurologist on Monday.

Again went through the tests etc. Dr. came back and my L4-L5 that was fixed 10 months ago was herniated again. After much talk and thought I decided to have a L4-L5 fusion.

Went in for surgery fusion went routine. The following 4 days I cried in agony my husband says ( I was out of it on morphine) of pain in my Right leg (pain was left leg initially before surgery). Dr. did a CT scan and it showed an unfastened/ mispositioned screw. So 5 days after initial surgery here we go again. They opened me back up to fix what was wrong.*cough* Sent home 3 days later in quite a bit of pain still but was dying to leave the hospital after 7 days.

The following weekend about 5 days later after a very painful day I just couldn't take it anymore and had my husband take me back to the ER. Luckily the DR on call was one that assisted on my surgery. They immediately admitted me and started to run a bunch of tests. Blood work, CT's and a CT guided Aspiration (that showed very little bacteria growing) Everything seemed fine and I was discharged 5 days later with new meds from a Pain Management Dr.

At my first post-op visit a few days later to my Neurologist he had me go have blood work done. Found out I had a Sedimentation rate of 80 (under 15 is normal for women. I was immediately sent to see an Infectious Disease Doctor.

SO here I am today 6 weeks later with a PICC line in my arm administering IV antibiotics daily for a Staph infection.
5 days ago had a visit with my Neurologist and he told me that my fusion might not be holding SIGH!!

Well sorry that was so long, guess I had a lot to get off my chest.

If you made it this far thanks for reading!! :)
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. well, i ruptured two of my discs at sixteen myself, L4-L5. :''( i did not have surgery till many years later just because i was so young. anyway, i am sorry you have acquired an infection. ~X( stick to your doctor's instructions. i wish you the best on your fusion. not much you can do if it doesn't take. keep in touch with your doctor about this. :-C have a look around the different forums and make yourself at home. good luck with your future pain struggles. Jenny :)
  • You are my worst fear realzed. The only thing that scared me about my surgery (mine was cervical)was ending up with an infection as if you haven't been through enough. :(
    I understand how tough it can be with a PICC. My son now 17 had septic arthritis in his knee when he was just 3. We spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital with him most of the time on constant antibiotics. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. Knowing I couldn't do anything but sit and hold him all day long was just heart breaking.
    Welcome to the forum! Come vent to us anytime you need to. We are all in this together. :H
  • I am so sorry to hear of everything that you have been through. And now you may be facing a failed fusion to boot. You have found the right place for understanding and support so never feel that your posts are too long for us. I hope that you can get some type of relief soon and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • I'm sorry you've been through so much. I hope you get well soon and hope that you've fused. Isn't it a bit early to tell? Anyway we're here to support you any way we can. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yeah it is a little to early to fuse so i thought. Two weeks ago he told me it was fusing perfectly and now its not... I actually picked my records up and am going to a University Medical center. Just got tired of his back and forth and inability to do right.

• My goodness, you are going through a trial right now! Thankfully, I've never had an infection to deal with and hope I never do. It is a little early for fusion, but I hope all is not lost.

For me, I had 3 surgeries and now have a stable back, but have permanent nerve damage. There is no further surgical intervention that can be done for my spine. I am going for the spinal cord stimulator trial on Thursday. This will deliver electrical pulses to my spinal canal and will intercept the pain signals coming from my damaged S1 nerve. I will feel tingling or buzzing instead of pain - that's the plan, anyway. If the trial relieves 50%+ percent of the pain, it is considered successful and we will move forward with a permanent placement.

I would think your first concern is to make sure your back is stable, and if it doesn't fuse, that would need to be addressed. I've heard doctors say give it a year to decide. I had 3 surgeries in a year because my 2nd surgery - a non-hardware fusion, was a failure and left me with a missing facet joint and massive instability. I'm a fusion success story now after a 360 PLIF with the works, but suffer intense pain 24 hours a day, and must stay reclined as sitting (and everything else) triggers a nerve flares beyond the pain I have constantly. Luckily, my boys are teenagers and that is a big help.

Isn't it great having a wonderful spouse to see us through all this trauma?!! Mine's a keeper, too.

Hang in there, join in the fun here, and keep us posted. I've found the sharing to be invaluable. There's something that can't be equaled with being able to talk to people who truly understand.

Welcome!

Cheri
advertisement