Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please HELP!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I has my lower lumbar less-invasive fusion surgery this past Monday. Ever since I have been awake my right thigh (top part) is numb and so is my big toe. The NS PA is hoping it is just from swelling. He started me on steroids. I am 6 days post-op, still in a great deal of pain in my back and right leg/thigh. Has anyone else experienced this? I am really scared that there is a nerve too close to a screw. If so, he will have to go back in and adjust. ugh.. any thoughts?? Thanks
Jaime
advertisement

Comments

• Sweetie, you just had surgery on Monday and I'm sure a lot of what you are feeling is mainly from that. Try to stay positive...if you don't, your body will tense up and make the pain even worse. Give it a while before getting too upset, ok? Even a "less invasive" surgery is still SURGERY. You probably have an appointment with the doc in another week, right? He should be able to tell from the xray if the screws are positioned correctly. In the meantime, rest as much as you can and take your pain meds exactly as prescribed, even if you have to use an alarm clock to wake you up! It's really important to do this! The more comfortable you are, the better you heal. IMO, the first 2 weeks are absolutely the worst! Hope you feel better soon! >:D< >:D<
  • I too had a TLIF on 11/21. I too am also having numbing/tingling in my right hip and buttock. It started as an acute burning, very painful right after surgery. I have been on a steroid pack and the burning has gone down, but the numbie feeling is still there. I am also having tingling and pain down my left leg. I am remaining optimistic though and hoping that is not a side effect of the surgery, and that it will go away.

Hang in there and talk to your doctor if you have any problems.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • It's almost guaranteed that you will feel at least a handful of new things after surgery. Pain, tingling, numbness, pressure, etc... It's all part of your body adjusting. At 6 weeks post op I started getting this pressure feeling where when I squat down and then stand up, my legs feel a lot of pressure and tingling and pain and I have to pick them up and squeeze them for it to go away. They said it's part of the healing of the nerves. I've had all kinds of new pains that come and go over time. It's normal. Don't be too worried. Stress can have a major effect on the healing process... So stay positive. I've stayed optimistic through my recovery and I'm 2 months post op and feeling like I'm 6 months out of surgery. I walked out of the hospital after a 360 fusion with no help from anyone. Was up the morning after surgery walking on my own, no walker, nothing. Well, I did have non-skid slippers. Haha. Toe socks that I brought myself. Can't tell you how many nurses would comment on them when I would go for my hourly walks around the entire floor. I was taking care of myself and doing everything like normal 2 weeks post op. I feel pain, of course, and I am still on Percocet and Valium... BUT I have ALWAYS had an optimistic outlook and I'm doing great. My surgeon and I both consider my surgery a great success... And I am already starting to fuse, at TWO MONTHS post op! That is nearly unheard of. The psychological side of things can make such a major impact... So be careful how you choose to look at things before you close your eyes to go to sleep at night. The way you feel when you wake up in the morning may depend on that.

I hope you feel better soon. Don't get too worked up. You're only 6 days out and you're doing well enough to get on the computer and type legibly and in a way we can all comprehend (lol) so that's something! Just relax, and like they said, keep up on your meds... Even if you feel okay, STAY ON SCHEDULE... Don't try to be the martyr and skip doses of meds just because you feel like you should limit them... There is NOTHING wrong with being on them if you need them. Take them as scheduled, once you fall behind you will have a lot of catching up to do, pain wise.
  • Jaime, glad you are now on the other side with us. The first 2 weeks are very rough. I am sure your surgeon did xrays in the OR to make sure the screws were in place. Often times our nerves are irritated from being manipulated. You need to rest, take your meds, walk as able, and rest some more. I hope you have lots of help with your kids. Make sure you follow all those post-op instructions to a T, no BLT etc. Hopefully the steroids will help settle your nerves. Take care and let us know how it goes. >:D< Cali-Sue
advertisement