Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4 L5 S1 ALIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Having surgery 12-3-08, what should I expect post op?
advertisement

Comments

• I just wanted to say welcome to the group. I am also having fusion surgery on L4-S1 on 12/3 (2 days away!), but mine is a minimally invasive TLIF. So, your surgery won't be the same as mine. One thing that I would suggest is to read the sticky post about what you will need at home and for the hospital. I would call your surgeon about any concerns that you have about what to expect. Good luck with your procedure! >:D<
  • I'd expect to be walking a lot, as soon as possible in the hospital. I had a 360, so your recovery will be a little different than mine, considering I was cut open on both front and back, so I had to wait certain amounts of time to do certain things, like couldn't using a heating pad til my staples were taken out of my back, couldn't get them wet for a few days, but my stomach incision was covered with steri-strips and I was able to get them wet right away.

Honestly, the stomach incision in my opinion is worse than the back. They cut your stomach muscles and move all your organs to the side, and your digestive system is really messed up for a while. My stomach incision still hurts to this day, over 2 months post op. In the hospital all 4 days I was on a clear liquid diet... The gas was so bad I looked pregnant and my stomach felt like a rock. It was HELL. I would have MUCH rather they just done the whole thing through the back and left my stomach alone. When I cough or sneeze my incision still hurts, and my belly button does too, for some odd reason. The incision goes from next to my belly button on the side, and then down. So I dunno if it's maybe just the way my skin was sewn back up, but it sucks.

Also, when you wake up from surgery, first thing you will most likely be thinking is WHY DID I DO THIS? You will probably regret it for the first couple of days. Lol. But it gets easier pretty quickly. The first few days are the absolute worst. Once you get home it gets a little better but the first two weeks are generally still pretty rough.. And after that you should, God willing, make slow and steady progress in your recovery. Don't let any bumps in the road get you down. They are normal. You will have your ups and downs, and good days and bad.