Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My name is Stephanie and I'm new...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm an unemployed 25 year old woman in a lot of pain. I just posted a blog on my MySpace page about the things that are wrong w/my back. I'm going to share it with you even though I'm sure everybody knows the definitions of my problems :) So sorry for the length. I joined this group b/c I have been dealing with severe depression recently from the pain. I've been a chronic pain patient since May 2007.

DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE: Involves the intervertebral discs. Those are the pillow-like cushions between your vertebrae in your spine. They help your back carry weight and allow complex motions of the spine while maintaining stability. As you age, the discs can lose flexibility, elasticity, and shock absorbing characteristics. They also become thinner as they dehydrate. When all that happens, the discs change from a supple state that allows fluid movement to a stiff and rigid state that restricts your movement and causes pain.

HERNIATED DISC :Herniated discs are most common in the lumbar (lower back) region, occurring there 15 times more often than in the cervical (upper back) area. A herniated disc refers to a disc that has ruptured, spilling its interior (the nucleus pulposus) out into the spinal canal. Often, this nucleus comes into contact with the thick cord of 31 nerves that runs through the canal. In the lumbar region, this compression causes symptoms of pain or numbness in the legs, feet, and buttocks. Severe pain in the lower back usually accompanies a herniated lumbar disc as well. Often this pain is so intense in some positions that certain activities become impossible. The pain of a herniated lumbar disc may be exacerbated by actions such as coughing, laughing or straining.

FORAMINAL NARROWING (Compressed Nerve Root): Nerve root compression can be a result of disease or injury. Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings. Regardless of the cause, the result is usually the same--pain. Pain is sent from the source through the spinal cord nerves to the brain, where pain is interpreted. Before resolution can be obtained, it is crucial to determine the specific location in the spine where the compression exists. If the pain is acute at the onset, it is usually a result from an accident or trauma to the spinal column. Common causes are automobile accidents and falls. If the pain begins intermittently and progressively becomes worse, it may be disease related, the result of degenerative disc disease or arthritis. Regardless of the origin, successful treatment options are available.

FACET DISEASE (Osteoarthritis): In the spine, the facet joints are what allow the vertebrae to move in a flexible, controlled manner. Each vertebra has two facet joints, one on either side. Like knee or elbow joints, the facet joints are covered with slick articular cartilage, which allows for motion without excess friction. These facet joints are frequently in motion. Over time, like the other joints of the body, wear and tear may lead them to degenerate. When the cartilage in the facet joints deteriorates, the body may try to compensate for the weakened joints by producing osteophytes, or bone spurs. The joints can also become enlarged. However, the bone spurs and enlargement often only complicate the problem by projecting into the spinal canal.

SCIATICA: The sciatic nerve, the largest nerve in the body, is formed by a bundle of nerve roots that come out of the lower portion of the spinal cord. This complex nerve runs from the sacral plexus into the spinal column on each side, out through the buttocks, down the back of the leg, and extends into the calf and foot. Pain associated with the route of the sciatic nerve is known as sciatica. Pain from sciatica is often more prominent on one side than the other, depending on the underlying cause. Because the most common cause of sciatica is a ruptured disc, one side tends to be more compressed than the other. In some cases, however, the total joint can be compressed, thereby affecting both extremities.

RETROLISTHESIS: The spinal bones (vertebrae) are all stacked up like children's blocks. Sometimes because of aging or trauma, one bone slips out of alignment and moves backwards, causing a retrolisthesis. The consequences of this are variable. If there's a minor amount of slippage, then this may not be an issue. If there is more movement, then the nerve at this level may become pinched. In addition, if there is too much movement, the facet joints at this level can become painful. If there is excessive movement, then the bones may irritate the spinal cord, causing numbness/tingling/weakness in both arms and legs.

advertisement

Comments

• What if any operations have you had? I am new to this place also but everyone has been GREAT. You will find,love and support here. John
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    I think it would be helpful if you posted your condition and situation vs some spinal definitions. At Spine-Health there is an extensive glossary of terms, plus complete details of various conditions , treatments, many which are supplemented by videos.
    While some of the verbage you post is true, it is unclear to me if you are explaining conditions that you have. Some of the best feedback you get from this site is describing you medical condition(s) and then see how many other members post with similar situations.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I haven't had any surgeries. I am in the process of having all of my doctors write letters requesting more coverage from my health insurance which is through the state but isn't Medicaid. I am so tired of feeling like this :( I fell down some stairs a few weeks ago and was going to the doctor to get Toradol shots every few days. I've since had an X-Ray (the technician said she thinks she sees a fracture in the vertebrae that has retrolisthesis, but she isn't a radiologist so she really can't say) and have seen a Rheumatologist at the University of Michigan. Wednesday I will get the results of all the tests he ordered.
    When I was first told that I was going to need surgery in May of this year, I was devastated b/c I've heard so many horror stories where the pain was worse afterward. But I did a lot of reading and research so I'm praying these letters will help my caseworker to understand how important it is for me have SOMETHING done (it won't pay for any of the 6 1/2 months of Physical Therapy I had, and I've never seen a pain management doctor b/c nobody in the area takes my state insurance.
  • I am Stephanie as well. :) I wish you luck in deciding which way you should and could go with your back pains. Everyones path is a little different here but we all share some commonalities. If there is anything that I can answer for you based off of my own experiences alone, I'd be happy to do so. Hang in there, you are in the right place.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Welcome!! I've had many issues with my L5-S1, but last year I fainted and ended up with spinal fracture. That pain was really terrible. I hope you can get treated for that spinal fracture quickly.

Good luck!

Cheri
  • I hope you're pain gets more under control. Do you have a pain management Dr. yet? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am so sorry that you are in such pain with no relief available to you. Your issues are almost the same as mine so I truly do know how you feel. I hope that you are able to get some results with your insurance with resulting pain relief. Good luck and please keep us posted.
advertisement