Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

work and chronic pain, watch out they are out to get you

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
When I had my last surgery, I gave my work, the union and H.R. my note with limitations. Well of course this was ignored and I have had problems since I got back. My principal complained that I went out this year and last at the same time referring that I went out so I would not have to finish the year. I was very angry, and got into an argument with her and I also received a bad evaluation. I have taught for 21 years with fully effective evaluationns. I went to union and h.r. and complained. notes were taken but of course nothing will happen about this. In fact they want me to go to my dr and get another note with limitations even though everyone on the planet has a copy of my last one. watch out, they are out to get you if you work and have pain

jon
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement

Comments

• To hear this Jon.

I was treated badly as well, would have had a good case for a tribunial but am too busy getting better to look back over my shoudler but this enrages me so.

Please look into discrimintion laws and employement issues. Th elaw is on your side, not that this makes it easier.

Did you say you had union represenation? If you need another doc report, get it and for goodness sake, work it as it says. IT is NOT your fault you need this help.

Aside of this, I was reading your history - did you have ongoing pain isues? Was the stenosis after the fusion?
    Thanks
  • stenosis was fixed after last surgery. unions take notes and nod that is about what they do. i am not sure h.r. and union talked to my principal. i just know i said i want to go to another school voluntary, and they gave me a form to fill out and said to call the principals of those schools. so i will see. i just know i filled out the form and if i can i am out of here, also i plan to retire in 2 years i would like to work 3 but if not 2 years and i am out. that ticked off my boss also i told her it was her fault i have not healed. they made me go to a class when i was still out from surgery. as a result i have never healed and it was her fault. i told union and h.r. this also. like i said i don't know if they discussed these with her

thanks for concern
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Not at the union level. But I've watched my company scrutinize someone's work to the point of even noting every time this person was 5 minutes late or not getting an assignment done on time. All the while feeding it back to HR. What it all boiled down to was the fact that she had been out for a year because of a near fatal motorcycle accident and they blamed "people like her" on our rising health insurance premiums and they wanted her gone. It was the saddest thing I ever witnessed because of course without her job she lost her insurance and most hope of continuing her recovery at the level she had been. She just didn't have the energy to fight back. I'm glad that you do.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    I have had my share of this. Putting everything together from my first surgery till now, I have about 2 1/2 years of out time due to my spinal conditions.
    When I returned to work after all my lumbar surgeries, there wasn't problem. That was because I actually was at my work place. Management and HR in the company I work for was great during that time frame.
    Things have changed somewhat since 2000. Thats when I first starting working from home. Initally it was 1 day a week at home, then it went to 2 days, then to 3 days, and since 2006, I work exclusively at my house.
    So what I am getting is "You are not visible, people dont know you ore what you do" So that translates into lower appraisals. Now its become the topic of being laid off.
    I know what I can do from home and it is more than what I was doing on site. I dont have the interruptions and since its at honme, I can get up early to work, take an hour off, get back on, etc.
    At this point in my career (34 years) its really not going to make any differnce if I left today or left 2 years from now. I've almost taken the position, if they want me out, so be it. I harbor no ill feelings because of all the time they did give me over the years without any problem.

So netting it out, in the type of job I have (Data Center Control, Workstation setup, Network configuration) that can be done from home. So its more of a 'Perception' problem for me.

I know each company and person has its own policies on this.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You are one of the very lucky few that actually seems to work for a decent employer. Most of what I have experienced and heard of are employers that want to get rid of you if you have any health issues. They look at you as too much of a liability. Many employers view their employees the same way that they view the machinery.

Jon, I really do feel for you. It is hard enough to deal with the pain without having the added stress from your employer. I wish you luck.
  • "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you!" and I am real paranoid. Financially they don't really want to lose me. I'm SpEd certified, experienced and they don't have to withdraw the SpEd students they send to ISS and lose ADA on them. I am not a liability on the schools insurance since I am retired.
    However, I do have a weird sense of humor and my principal doesn't enjoy it. He told me last year that any more smart remarks sent out and he would fire me. They can do that since they don't consider me a real employee. Wonder who that fool is that opens my room at 7:20 every morning for Early Detention, handles ISS (everything from 1st grade up), and does a Credit Recovery Program for the "darlings" who, through their own stupidity have failed and all of a sudden they want to pass. Or else got hold of some bad weed and had a real bad trip at school and is not wanted on the HS campus - by anyone.
    Hang in there Jon. I will send up good thoughts and have my unreal daughter do a chant that we both can make it.
    Later, Lynda
  • education has gotten weird the last few years. now the students run the schools and the administrators back them and not the teachers. i gave all, school, hr, union, etc my work slip from my dr with all limitations on it. my dr also wrote a note later dismissing me from my after school activities because watching footall games means i have to walk up stairs and walk around when i am not supposed to. apparently the notes were not read or ignored. i told hr and union that my back never had time to heal because i was told to attend a seminar on a new reading program during the summer when i was still on disability. i told them i would be happy to do it but it takes a year to heal from fusions. no response etc. i did this so i could remain at my school and if i did not i would not be there. by the way they cannot force someone to work during summers. i did it to be a good soldier. anyway, back never healed due to stress of walking, carrying loads over 5 lbs etc. i complained but no one did or said anything until my meeting on monday. i complained that i still have to do things dr does not want me to do. if i mention law suit, do you think things will get better or worse. i agreed to do this seminar but warned everyone i was still recovering from surgery. what do you think?

thanks
    jon-by the way merry christmas and happy honika-spelling? to everyone
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.