Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One of the Lucky Ones

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:O :?? ;)) I posted a similar topic last week but it seems to have disappeared. I don't **think** there was anything offensive or off limits in the post. Maybe a little bragging but nothing more that I am aware of. If I remember correctly there were even 3 replies that I didn't have a chance to respond to. I'm not complaining here. I understand that sometimes weird things happen in Cyberspace... =;

Anyway today marks 4 weeks since my 360 surgery and as far as I am feeling right now the OS got it right this time compared to the TLIF last year at the same time post-op. <:P <:P <:P =))

Last Wednesday @ 3 weeks 1 day post-op I was feeling great and the leaves all over the yard were bugging me (my wife says I'm anal that way (amoung others)). I couldn't rake as that would involve the no-no of twisting. :T L) :T

Since my wife was off to work, I got the bright idea of jumping on the 'ol John Deere riding mower, mulching 'em up and bagging 'em. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> The yard looked great for Turkey day (anal me) and my wife agreed but gave 50 kinds of heck for doing it.

Afterwards I was expecting to be in pain, but actually there was no more pain afterward as there was before I started. Last year @ 6 months TLIF post-op I could barely walk for 2 days after doing similar chores.

I do realize that there are apt to be some not so good days in my future and my back does get tired and stiff after a long walk, but I am amazed at the things I am able to do now with very little discomfort. My balance isn't so great though.

Sorry for being so long winded but I am very pleased with my progress so far. =D> :O)

KevinB in Houston, TX
advertisement

Comments

• I think that is wonderful and I am very happy for you. <:P <:P <:P
    Just because you are feeling good doesn't mean you should push it though. I understand wanting to do things when your feeling good but it is not worth a set back.Just be careful, okay.And again, congrats, that's awesome that your feeling so well. =D> <:P
    Jeanette
  • 4jkasper said:
    I think that is wonderful and I am very happy for you. <:P <:P <:P
    Just because you are feeling good doesn't mean you should push it though. I understand wanting to do things when your feeling good but it is not worth a set back.Just be careful, okay.And again, congrats, that's awesome that your feeling so well. =D> <:P
    Jeanette</blockquote>

Thanks! After my antics of last week, I have been banashed from the mower for at least 3 months. I believe that my wife has even hidden the key. ~X( I guess the yard will have to look like every one elses for a while... :O)
  • Unless there is some yard upkeep contest going on in your neighborhood I would suggest just ttrrryyy to take it easy. I know how hard that can be. But it's good to hear that you're feeling so good. And I don't blame your wife about hiding your keys. Sounds like that's the only way to stop you. :D
  • tonya42 said:
    Unless there is some yard upkeep contest going on in your neighborhood I would suggest just ttrrryyy to take it easy. I know how hard that can be. But it's good to hear that you're feeling so good. And I don't blame your wife about hiding your keys. Sounds like that's the only way to stop you. :D
    No contest I've come to the conclusion there are some things that I love to do and one of them is working in the yard. Anal???

Hiding the key isn't too much of a problem if I just can't control the urge. All I have to do is go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy another. THEY'RE ALL THE SAME!!! :O :O
  • That's funny about your wife hiding your key. It reminded me of my mother-in-law's husband who had an artificial leg and was an alcoholic. One day she got so tired of him going to the liquor store that she stole is leg and hid it. =)) Boy did that tick him off!

Hang in there - nice to know you're getting better!
  • You are too funny! :))( I am the same way. Here's the thing tho (not to be a downer), but after my microd in January, I felt fantastic. 1 1/2 weeks after surgery I was bending, kicking my leg in the air (couldn't lift it an inch off the ground before surgery), and doing all sorts of "normal" things again. <:P Keep in mind I did not have any restrictions from my doc after surgery. Well, in March I noticed all the old familiar pains slowly coming back. Long story short, went back to my surgeon in April to discover my disk had COMPLETELY collapsed, and am now getting ready for my fusion. :SS I was supposed to have a fusion initially, but because of my weight, and my docs preference to an anterior approach, they did the microd instead to get the pressure off my nerve. They told me that there was a slight chance the mircod might be enough and I may not have to have the fusion at all. I had an 11 milimeter herniation, which is huge. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    What I'm trying to say, is please, please be careful. Who knows, if I had just chilled for a little while longer, my disk may not have fully collapsed. I will never know.
    I am SOOOO happy for you =D> that you feel so good. I remember how much better I felt after my surgery. But please just be careful, and listen to your body. I was warned by many people on this board to take it slow, and I didn't listen, and now I'm paying for it.
    Again, so stoked for you that you feel good, really I am. :)

Caity
  • Hahahahahahahahaha. I feel like a jerk laughing at that but that is hilarious. THAT is comedy. That should be like, a scene in a movie.
  • Chances are you would have had to have it done anyway. If it collapsed that fast... Just getting back to normal activity shouldn't kill a disc. Over time, that disc would have gone. 11mm IS big. That's nearly 7/16 of an inch.

So I definitely don't think you should get down on yourself thinking it was from anything you did. I also had a MicroD, and then I had my fusion less than 5 months later... I am only 22, and normal weight, no injuries, etc... "Normal" wear and tear. Quotations because I don't think think wear and tear on a 22 year old requiring a fusion is normal. But.. It wasn't anything I did. I also went back to doing things like normal a week after my fusion. It was the fact that my disc just sucked. If they removed 11mm of your disc, it's only a matter of time before the thing goes. Doing more at a faster pace of course would speed up the process, because it's the normal actions that would deteriorate the disc... So unless you planned on never returning to normal function, then the disc would have gone just like it did... When you started returning to normal activity.
advertisement