Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sick Days

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Im sure most of you have heard of my troubles at work but nowIm probably really in trouble. Both of my kids have been sick with the stomach bug. I had to call out Tuesday and today as my husband is in Chicago on business. I cant wait for tomorrow in work.
advertisement

Comments

• I hope your kids get to feeling better soon. Mine got sick last month and it was hard, especially when you're having back pain. I know how it is (|:
  • Well, Im getting called into the office. I have to meet with my big boss tomorrow. I need to bring in a letter from Daycare that my kids were sick and were not there on Tuesday & Wed. This is what will happen...Ill get written up for taking time off ( with no sick time left as I used it all on FMLA) and my back will go out and I also have 4 Dr appointments in December. Im gonna get canned. Can I collect Unemployment if I get fired?
  • I know some places you're able to take personal days when your children are sick. I think you should get a warning first. It's pretty unnerving though to have to wait till tomorrow. It's too bad you didn't have a sister or Mom or friend take care of the kids when they're not well to free you up to work. If you're let go ask them to lay you off so you can collect unemployment. I don't know what it's like in the U.S.A but in Canada if you're fired you can't collect unemployment. I think it's different there though? Call and ask unemployment. Good luck tomorrow. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have no help at all with my kids. My parents are very sick, I dont have sisters or anyone else to help with the kids. Most likely Ill be written up tomorrow and if I take off again Ill be fired. With my bad back and all of my Dr appointments its just a matter of time when Im out again.
  • :) hi! :H sorry you are having such struggles at your job. there should be give and take and i don't see anything but take on their part. from what i understand you cannot collect unemployment if you are fired. :? do all you can to prevent this from happening. i see you trying so hard and yet one thing after another is getting in your way. good luck and i know things will turn around for you! Jenny :)
  • Maybe you can start your sick leave so you won't get fired if your back is too sore you should be on meds and getting treatment for your back. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • charry, I used all my sick leave and vacation and FMLA and personnal days. I just got back from my meeting. I did get written up and If im out again before Jan 1st ( when I get my vacation ) Im fired. I will be allowed to go to my Dr visits, but if I call out again because of the kids or my back Im done. Its really just a matter of time. Im tired of worrying about it. Ive been trying so hard and I just keep getting knocked down. I have no fight left in me. Every day is excruciating. Not only my back but the way Ive been treated at work. Mentally and physically Im worn out.
  • I'm sorry you have things so hard and I wish your workplace was supportive to single parents. My husband doesn't have sick days, and he has had to take off a few times on my account or if he was sick. But he always tried to make up his time and appeased his supervisors. I don't impose on him unless absolutely necessary, such as a ride for procedures. But never for regular appointments because jobs are gold in this current economy. When you meet with the boss, assure him despite the position you're in, that you can still perform your duties. Don't tell the full extent of the back troubles because he can use it against you and say that things won't work out for you there. It is very hard to find a job nowadays; you would get unemployment if the worst occurs and there is an extension of benefits implemented. But try to hang on to it if possible because you don't know when the next job opportunity will come along. Have you ever thought of applying for disability? It will take around 3 years if you get approve and you'll need a lawyer. Also, do you have short term disability and long term disability policies? It's crucial nowadays to have it in case something happens to you and can't work. That gives us a little bit of a sense of security and you can never have too much coverage. I hope things smooth out for you and your children.
  • Is there a "labour board" or something similar in the States? In Alberta we have a labor board that protcts the employer and the employee. An employee cannot be fired for going to Dr's appointments (I may be mistaken, but i believe that the employer also has to pay you if it's during work hours). The labour board also prevents an employer from firing an employee for medical reasons, if the sick time is used up the employee may not be paid. However the job is still secure.

Up here there is one recourse the employer still has. If they fire you and do not give a reason (not required by law), as long as they pay all vacation and severance due, the employer is free and clear.
advertisement