Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just when I thought it was safe to back into the water

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
a revised Shark starting coming my Way!
Most members who have been with Spine-Health a long time, know my long time spinal problems and surgeries.
I've been hanging in the best I can day to day, and making sure I do the right things from preventing a major slide backwards.
My wife and I just returned from our vacation in Italy. There I walked, walked and walked. On dirt, sand, volcanic ash, cobblestone, etc. It never bothered me.
So back to home, back to work in within a couple of days, I started having several problems. I could not lift my shoulders more than parallel to the ground, I was having lower back pain along with sciatic, my thoracic discs were burning. So, started up the standard Physical Therapy and such. They have been working on my pecks, major and minor to allow some mobility in my shoulders. Well basically as soon as that started, I was getting more thoracic pain and numbness down both arms. After discussing this with my doctor and Physical therapist, they indicate that it is a clear sign of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Which up to know, was never listed as one of my problems. The work being done on my pecks, especially the minor pecks is loosening some of my muscles, but pulling on others. So, its sort of a catch 22, work on pecks, shoulder feels good, but Thoracic flares. Stop work on pecks, can move my shoulders, but Thoracic calms down. So its trying to figure out the best course of action and I know that the people taking care of me and my outlook we will come up with a way.

Oh, btw all my medical professionals tell me the same
thing:
Retire to Italy and stop working on Computers!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Well the retiring part won't do it, maybe the Italy part will. My PT has me doing the same thing, which is as you say a horrible catch 22. I need to work my shoulders, but I have to stretch out my pecks. I need to work my chest, but I have to stretch out my pecks. It's very frustrating. I feel your pain!

"C"
  • What do you do? work thro the pain or stop?

urious.

I hope you feel better soon. Its just plain mean when you do have a good spell - shows what life could be like.
    Oh well, back to dreaming...........
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    there will be good times.
    I've learned to except the bad times, prepared to do what is necessary to minimize that.

So, in a way, I am just on a setback, I have taken a step backwards or fallen down.

But, whenever you fall, you know you will get up and have to
  • You may be down, but not out. You'll be back to your usual level soon.

I do hate to hear you're having a flare, though.
  • you have to put yourself first :) You know this may sound silly but the stresses of everyday life can increase the pain, combined with working on computors. The bright side of things is you have the support of your wife. If i were you , and could afford to take early retirement, and do some free lance work when you feel well, inbetween the good days and bad days. ok im waffling. Its one tthing i have learned where work is concerned you do have to put yourself first.

Angie
  • Well Ron we know once those thoracics' kick up they hang around. Rest it. The Michigan weather has me in it's grips right now. I havn't been good in weeks. It's time for the D@# shots. I havn't forgot how bad the last one hurt. Any progress?

Lois
    :''(
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    Lois, thanks for asking... Yep we get Michigan (Brighton) from some family members and Chicago before it hits out here.

We are narrowing down my current flare. I have been having treatment on my shoulders because of limited mobility. Well, they got them to move, worked a lot on my major and minor pecks... So, good news I can move my shoulders better, bad news, is by loosening the peck muscles, that put strain on my rhomboid, so the current flare in my thoracic, which then in turn trapped some muscles in my upper neck. This also brought out my Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, which until recently, I thought was dormant.

So this has been my first flare up, that I personally did not do something to get it started.

Now, that we are pretty sure what caused the problem, we are working an action plan to correct it...
  • I was so impressed that you made that trip!! Wow!! And the photos are beautiful. I can only imagine what that did for your mental health and outlook. Now I want to visit Italy!

I guess your brain just said bring on the endorphins while you were over there? I'm not familiar with cervical issues, so don't fully understand. But it does sound very painful.

I hope you get the flare calmed down quickly.

( (HUGS ) )

Cheri
advertisement