I've spent a good while roaming the boards here reading a lot of posts and did also go to Chirogeek website.
I have to say I am pretty overwhelmed.
I better start out by saying that I 30 yrs old and have had pinched nerve "issues" in my right hip for approx. 10 yrs. Nothing bad...I'd go to the chiro and he'd fix me up.
Well, this time it was ALL different. on Nov 11/3/08 I went to the chiro with the "usual" pinched nerve in my hip. I woke up 11/5 early a.m. in excrutiating pain in my pelvis/upper legs. I thought I was in labor all over again.
To make this short and bring up you to speed...I have had X-rays done by my Primary Dr which then he referred me to get an MRI. He also put me on the Medrol dose pack and that seemed to help a bit. A few days later I had to get some pain meds from him.
Overall I am doing much better than the "feeling like I was in labor again" days and actually have gotten to where I am not taking in pain meds or maybe just one Vicodin a day.
The MRI I had done was on 11/19 and showed:
L2-L3 small central disc protusion with associated annular fissure. Mild spinal canal stenosis.
L3-L4 very lar extruded disc as described severly narrowing the spinal canal/lateral recesses.
L4-L5 disc buldge with associated annular fissure with moderate L4-L5 neural foraminal narrowing.
I then went on to see a Neurosurgeon on 12/1 and he recommeded a nice hefty back brace (not the turtle one) and to take it easy (no lifting, etc) for the next month to see if my body will "dissolve" the disc fragment. If it does, I will then go on to physical therapy and possible epid. injections if needed.
I also am set to have the EMG done tomorrow morning and go back to the neurosurgeon on 12/15.
Here is my questions/thoughts:
1. After reading here I am pretty discouraged that it seems I will struggle for the rest of my life with this. I am *amazed* at how many people have re-herniated discs over time.
2. On one hand it seems surgery is better to do as conservative therapy doesn't seem to help but then it seems as though surgery isn't good either?!?!? Kinda confusing. My neurosurgeon did tell me that in the end I will be the same weather I do conservative therapy or surgery (seems to match what the Chirogeek site said).
3. I am TERRIFIED of having needles put in my spine (thus why I didn't have pain med while in labor with both kids) and now it seems I will have to get over that....possible more if I have to have surgery.
4. In my mind I don't seem/feel like I am THAT bad off. I can function. The hardest is sitting at my desk all day at work. The pins and needles feeling in my left foot is the most irritating to me. I would say PAIN wise I am not that bad at all. I get flare ups every once and awhile.
5. This one is personal and I hope I can post here....I will keep it nicely worded.
My neurosurgeon said to "be careful" in regards to "personal relations" with my husband. What can I do to "be careful?" Is one position better than other to be "more careful?" Just thought this would be the best place to ask.
Is there anyone out there that has been in my situation and did your body "dissolve" the fragment? What can I do to keep from re-herniating my disc? I know I have 2 buldging discs I want to keep from getting herniated too!! I am pretty confused at this point.....any thoughts/info is greatly appreciated.