Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm back.

Sparky123SSparky123 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
You will never believe what happened, I'm home, but I almost died. @) Yay! @) I guess they had a really hard time getting the breathing tube down my throat and when they finally did my blood pressure and O2 levels went way down, enough to start to call a "code blue". So they took the tube out and everything went back to normal, but my surgeon said he didn't want to try again today because I've already been through a lot. He then canceled the surgery and rescheduled it for Dec. 19th. He thinks I just have a very small airway so the next time I will have to be awake while they do it (not fun) so I can jester to them if something is wrong.

God I'm pissed, but at least I'm not dead. Maybe today just wasn't meant to be the day, just means I'll really be laid up for Christmas, but the doc thinks I should definitely be home before then.

Off to sleep, my throat feels like a ate a handful of razor blades.
advertisement

Comments

• You poor thing! I'm so sorry for your ordeal. But I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

Get some rest. I hope your throat feels better soon!

Caity
  • That's a little upsetting for you. I hope your throat pain is gone by tomorrow. Popsicles or something cold may be soothing. Take care. Have a good rest. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am sorry you had to go through this yet you have to do it again, awake! Take Care of yourself and know that that was not the day for you, I believe there was a reason...Cold beverages/popsicles and rest..
  • Popsicles? What is this, the 90s? Go for the ice cream cake!!!! Lol :P

That sucks, but you know... You're right. At least you are alive. Everything happens for a reason, and today was just not your day to have surgery. It wasn't meant to be right then and there. God doesn't want you yet... So, he found a way to keep your butt on this planet until he says otherwise.

I'm sure that's got to be nerve wracking, especially knowing you're going in next time without general anesthesia and are going to have to stay awake through the process. Is there any chance they can give you something that calms you down and makes you sleepy? When I had my son, I was having an anxiety attack during my c-section because of the Spinal, I felt like I couldn't breathe... So they injected something in my IV and it made me like, fall halfway asleep. It has to be safe for surgery, since I had a 10 inch gaping hole and a nice boyfriend standing next to me telling me how he could see my intestines. NIIIIIICE. Lol. I am guessing they will give you some form of sedation... But maybe you can express extra concern to them about that. Do they think it is going to be a very long process? I'm not sure how long minimally invasive surgery takes vs open procedures. My surgery was a one level fusion and it took 6 hours... BUT they also did a radical discectomy, and had to remove fragments of my disc floating around in the back, which required them to move the nerves and everything out of the way, because they reached the BACK of my spine from my stomach... I think that had to take a lot of time, and my surgery was a 360 degree fusion. I am hoping that it won't be a 6 hour surgery for you... That would really be hard to handle awake. I am like, stressing over this for you... And it's not even happening to me. Lol. Let us know what they're going to do regarding that? I am curious to know how they are going to handle it.

I think you'll be out the 23, for some reason. I felt like guessing. Lol. Anyone wanna start a pool? LOL ;) I get dibs on the 23.

I'm sorry you had quite the eventful day... I hope that the next go is what you need, and gets the job done... As painless as possible, and as short a hospital stay as possible. Hopefully you can still enjoy Christmas. Hey, maybe if they give you REALLY good pain meds upon discharge then you will LOOOOVE Christmas this year. Lol. Request them as a Christmas gift. Hehehe.
  • Sorry about that.Like the others mentioned it just wasn't meant to be today.All for the best IMO.

I've had 13 operations and only had general anesthesia for two of them,and only then because they won't let me have local anesthesia for throat surgery.I cannot stand being put to sleep.

They will make sure that you are really comfortable & you will even fall asleep off and on during the procedure believe it or not.Unless you are really freaked out and nervous,in which case they will give more meds in your IV to relax you.

Some of my surgeries took several hours,but I felt no real sense of time,and it seemed as if they were always over quickly.7 of my operations were on bone with drilling,cutting,and hardware installed-but they put a curtain up so that I can't see-and the local anesthesia was always my choice.

Anyway (enough about me-lol-I was trying to give you an idea of general surgery to ease your mind),I'm sorry for your scare today.

Good luck on the 19th :H
  • but I think Sparky meant the tubing will be done while awake, not the actual surgery. I could be wrong. :)

I hope you are resting comfortably I) and that your throat feels better. :)

Caity
  • hope you're feeling better!!! I'm glad to hear you're ok :-) >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Sorry to hear about what happened today for you, Sparky. I've heard of that situation occurring and wondered if I'd experience it. Before they took me to the OR, the anesthesiologist did a thorough "pipe" inspection . . . said I was good to go. Did yours do that?

Okay . . . I know it's difficult waiting again -- especially for surgery so close to the holiday, but know that we're all here for you.
  • lol,my bad...and I was going on and on... :))(
  • Quote "Maybe today just wasn't meant to be the day"
    Sounds right to me, even though the other wont be plesant at least you wont have that trauma to go through again.
    Sorry thin had to happen to you.
    Ice cream is wonderful. I had the tube in for 24 hrs so my throat was like yours (razorblades). I could only eat ice cream (seemed to coat it a bit) and custard for the first couple of days then mash for the next couple.
    Blessings sara O:)
  • Should have said "they will be keeping me awake when they put the pipe in", but one BIG thing I forgot to mention is if it doesn't work next time, they will have to do the surgery with me awake (spinal tap). :SS

I was just finally able to eat a little bit without choking, man I was hungry! Never thought apple sauce could taste so good. :D

*Had to start my ticker again Dang it!

vvvvvv

• Sorry about what happened to you. How scarry! I have a question and that is how are they going to keep you from gagging when they tube you? Every one has a natural gag reflex. I hope they at least sedate you. Maybe you'll get some really good meds. Well good luck to you!
  • I am so sorry you had to go through that. I know you have been anxoius to have the surgery over with & now this. Like the others have said I too believe there is a reason.
    Try to enjoy your ice cream & try to relax. >:D<
    Take care
    Kim
  • Wow, how awful for you! You must of been shocked to wake up and find out they hadn't even done anything yet. Well like everyone said, it must of happened for a reason.

I am sure they will give you some sedation type drugs that don't impair your breathing prior to your next intubation attempt. Perhaps they will spray your throat with numbing spray also to prevent the gag reflex. They do this on people who are having an endoscopy so they don't gag on the scope.

I have heard of obese patients being awake for intubation because their airway tends to collapse when they are given rapid sequence induction prior to intubation. You don't look obese, so that must not be the problem :))(

The problem is when they give you rapid sequence induction, and then can't get the tube in, you are not breathing on your own anymore, so they have to bag you with an ambu bag to make you breath. They stop and try again, and then your oxygen and vitals plummet cause you aren't getting any oxygen in. Very scarey.

I don't think they had any problem with me, but I definitely had a sore throat afterwards from the tube. I hope you have lots of yummy icecream to sooth your throat. Take care and perhaps you can get in some Christmas shopping with this extra delay before surgery. >:D< Sue
  • Sorry to hear of your ordeal, but so glad you're alive. I'm about to post about what happened to me. I don't think the stars were aligned properly for mid- to late-November surgeries!

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • sorry you had to go through this! It must be so aggrevating, but like you said, at least you are safe...
    Hopefully they will sedate you to help you calm down when they insert the tube. This may be a dumb question: but, do the tubes only come in one size? or do they make smaller ones? they must for children I guess? but not sure how that would work..
    Well try to rest up and relax now that you are home for while..Donna
  • Wow, that doesnt sound like fun. With all the stuff that goes on during surgery...., not even going to think about it lol.

I didnt even have a sore throat after I came out of surgery. I wonder if I even had one because it didnt feel any different then when I went in.

Any way, hope You have better luck next time. Its going to be alot easier to have a tube inserted into your throat while awake then going through a spinal fusion while awake.
  • I am certain that you were not supposed to have surgery that day, because you didn't. I hope that next go around will be the right one. I am sure that they can give you something to ease the insertion of the tube. Glad that your surgery decided to err on the side of caution. That is a good sign in my opinion.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • The surgeons office called today and said they were able to move up the surgery to next Friday, the 12th. Tonight I talked to a friends friend who is a ER doctor and he said I will probably be pretty sedated when the try to stick the tube in but he also said they might have me try sitting up while they do it so the airway isn't flattened by laying down. Boy I can't wait! 8}
  • When I go in to my EN&T surgeon he puts the scope through my nasal..not the same as intubating,but I've been intubated as well while awake,and IMO pulling the tube out is a little worse.Still not bad,but it makes me cough and choke for a second.

If you are awake-you won't be 'wide awake',you will be sedated..I think.Of course I can't be sure,I'm not yer doc(lol)and only speculating...because it's late(early morning) and I'm here awake with nothing much to do and I saw this post.

Wow~That was a quick change on the schedule change.Maybe somebody had to opt out of surgery due to illness or something and the Dr had an opening.
  • Tell them to use crycoid pressure. I'm glad you're surgery is moved up. I hope things go okay this time. We're all hoping this time. God bless. O:) Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wow, what a bad experience....its best they backed off and rescheduled so they can sort it out.
    Just be grateful the tickerfactory is the only ticker you had to restart! #o

I'm sure you will be successful next time...do your best to relax..
    take care

Tom
  • Glad that they were able to get this done sooner. I can only imagine the anticipation after having been in once and sent home without results. I will keep you in my thoughts as I am walking walking walking!

One Love,

Stephanie
  • you have to go through all the nerves again...but I agree...all for a reason.

Good luck. >:D<
  • Sparky-

I just saw your post and I am sorry things didn't go as planned. I will thinking about you next Friday.

Julie
  • I'm so glad you are still with us, I am sorry about your experience and it is so frightening. I know you want to have your surgery so you can get to feeling better, and I know your doctors will take more precautions so that this doesn't happen to you again. I am so glad you are okay and I hope your upcoming surgery goes well. Our thoughts and best wishes are with you.
advertisement