Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multi screw breakage?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I understand its not that uncommon for "A" screw to break...I have multiple...at least 2 maybe more now...they will remove what they can in 34 days...I realize ive done more than I should.."lifting..lifestyle...everything", but is it that common for that many screws to break? Surely it cant be? :?
My fusion,"bone" didnt really take..still cant imagine why though...anyone with the same problem or know why, give me a shout! 8} going nutz thinking about everything!
advertisement

Comments

• Someone... :?? No one.... :W Anybody! :SS Maybe I am just weird like that? surely someone else has broken more than one? :S
  • Hi Eren, when was your fusion and what levels? I have heard of someone having a broken screw on here once. More often I have read of loose screws. What new surgery are you having? Are they gonna redo your fusion since it didn't take? Good-luck to you. I hope someone with a similar experience can post soon. Take care, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • i had slipped bone graft that resulted in a redo fusion for me. i had a wire in there holding the bone graft in place. wire was loose apparently.

screws do break. there actually is very little on net about it. but there was one site i came across that showed xrays of broken hardware. i will try to find it again.
  • i had slipped bone graft that resulted in a redo fusion for me. i had a wire in there holding the bone graft in place. wire was loose apparently.

screws do break. there actually is very little on net about it. but there was one site i came across that showed xrays of broken hardware. i will try to find it again.
  • My understanding is that a screw moving, or more than one part of hardware moving, is basically a sign that your not fusing.
  • dunno for sure what was fused...as in L1 or whatever...my lower lower back...bought as low as ya can go...and no, not fusing...some started to...then stopped...anyways my xrays could be worse now? One screw is fractured and broke...another one is bending bad, bought to fracture...everythings moved around now...not good no fun... pictures can be seen on myspace...got multiple xrays so check the date...some are right after surgery when nothings wrong! If u myspace need to add as friend to view Xrays...click on my pic and choose album! http://www.myspace.com/erenzcherrybomb
  • ..it would be possible but quite rare I think. Purely from an engineering perspective all the screws are sharing the load associated with holding the fused vertebrae rigid. With one less screw, additional load is placed on the remaining screws so another could break. Sure would be quite rare though but certainly possisble.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• to profile now...so maybe peeps can see whats breaking...everythings kinda shifting around all weird now! the screws were all straight in a nice row...now, not so much! :''(
  • I posted on here about 3 months ago of this year, 2008, about my screw breakage problem. Had 3 vertebrae lumbar fusion surgery in August. 8 weeks later a screw broke in the S-1. 4 weeks ago just had it removed and had 2 more screws put in below it to stabilize my back which has other scoliosis problems and still lordosis problem. I am feeling better, able to move around more and walk, still in quite a bit of pain, but manageable. Just don't want any more screws to break.
    Question? Do you smoke? Is there any other reasons that the doctors have given for your screws to break so much?
  • your initial post said you've done more than you should have. My hubby's OS said absolutely no BLT until fused, especially since this was a revision surgery. He told him of previous patients who had broken their hardware by bending. Given that you have frail bones, you may need to be extra careful to avoid BLT. Good luck. Terri
  • I would like to talk to you a bit more about your hardware breakage and how and why it is going on. I hope to speak with you soon.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I am living proof of that. The two at S1 both broke but will remain because my fusion was successful. My surgeon said that there always is movement in the back even with hardware. Their hope, is that instrumentation keeps movement to a minimum until fusion can form and technically is no longer then needed. My screws broke in the middle of each screw and he said since they are doing no damage inside me they should stay. Much more danger in removing them then leaving them alone. Fine with me. Imagine my back is stronger than titanium screws. WOW.
    julie

• I think that someone from the previous SH board had multi-screw breakage. Her screen name was mamasmitty. I could be wrong on the exact screen name, that's been a while. If you look at the archived back surgery threads, you'll find stuff posted by her. Don't know if she registered for the new site or not, but she is very nice and I think would be receptive to questions if she's here.

I am 18 months out from lumbar fusion surgery and I am not fused, many other problems including loose screw, having 2nd clean up surgery since fusion next week.

Also, I looked at your myspace. If you want to chat, send me a PM. I know some surgeons(by reputation) in your area, both good and bad.
advertisement