Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for Supportive Friends...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
:) Hello Everyone,
I've been thinking of joining for quite some time now and finally took the plunge. Y'all seem to have good information and lots of problems I can relate to so I hope I'll fit in. I'd be grateful for any pointers about this community. I am in a constant state of frustration not to mention pain (I'm sure that goes without saying). Over the past several years, I have been told that I have bulges on L4,L5 and S1, some stenosis, some arthritis and degenerative disc disease - one neurosurgeon even told me I may have torn my piriformis muscle away from my sacrum...
But supposedly none of this could be helped by surgery!
All of this was prior to an accident where I was rear ended while sitting still by a car going 50mph - this did not help matters at all! Now they are talking about surgery (that whole cadaver bone thing) on my neck which was damaged in the accident but doesn't really bother me nearly as much as my back! I am 43 and walk like an 80 year old woman! I'd love some input from y'all!
Thanks in advance! Sorry so long - just wanted to give some background...
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to SH, there is plenty of supportive friends here day and night and a wealth of information and experiences. It's hard to understand your doctor's thinking, so maybe you can ask why specifically you aren't a surgical candidate and hopefully they can give you a clearer answer.
    I'm in my thirties and I walk like I'm 80 too and rely on a cane. Both my microdiscectomy and 2 level fusion of L4-S1 didn't work out, so I take multiple medications to stay afloat. I hope you get a lot out of the advice here that will help you with your back problems. :)
  • Hi I know you will find lots of support here so welcome
    best wishes
    Dawniee
  • Thanks for the quick replies - I look forward to getting to know everyone here. Especially people who can relate to living in constant pain when often other people tend to think you're faking or a hypochondriac or some such thing...
    Dana
  • You've come to the right place for supportive spiney friends. I've been a member for a couple of weeks and have gotten some great advice, support etc. You should consider seeking a second opinion, maybe from an orthopedic surgeon. In my opinion, I wouldn't jump into surgery until you have exhausted all other methods of treatment such as PT, pain management dr etc. I'm 30 and walk like an 80+ year old as well and trying to suck it up and get a cane to help me out.

Good luck and stay in touch.
  • Everyone here is GREAT! They help you without judgement and thats hard to find. I also walked like I was 80 until I just couldn't take it anymore and had a 360 degree fusion at L4/L5 with ADR and hardwear. I am 3 weeks out and feel soooo much better I cannot believe. I feel like I am in a different body but unfortunately not.LOL!! I wish you all the best and good luck. Just remember to try different approaches to pain free living before surgery. When it's time, get a second and third opinion before doing it.
  • Well, you found us! Welcome to SH. I know that it is hard to accept when surgery is not an option because we all want a quick fix in order to get on with our lives. Unfortunately there are no guarantees with surgery either. You will see many failed back surgeries here that are in worse pain than before surgery. I wish you luck and please keep us posted.
  • :H
    I can totally relate to being hit. I got ran over by a semi. He pushed me into a rock wall and my car rolled 6 times before it stopped. I have now had ACDF c5-C6 in Oct. just weeks after the accident. I was experiencing things like feeling like I was falling out of a chair while sitting. Walking sideways and unable to hold anything in my left hand. So even though your back is probably killing you right now you're neck is really important to take care of to. I had spinal cord impingement and myelopathy. Are you having any strange symptoms like tingling in your fingers or numbness in your arms? If they are talking about surgery then your doc is concerned about your spine most likely. Right after my car got smashed I hurt all over so it was really hard for me to tell the doctor on my first visit what really hurt. You've come to the right place. We're all friends here helping friends get through the tough times.
  • I would look for a pain management Dr. or your Dr. needs to refer you to an orthosurgeon or neurologist. Take care and keep us posted as to your progress. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please have a look around and make yourself at home. =D> i cannot be helped by surgery either and use lots of conservative treatments to help with the pain. it is possible to get your pain under control with alot of trial and error!! :T a good pain mamagement doctor would benefit you greatly! good luck with your future pain treatments. Jenny :)
  • Dana and welcome to the forum. You will find so much support and understanding here....our members are absolutely amazing , the best around. Please continue to keep us posted as to how you are doing and what all is going on. If there is ever anything that I can help you with then please feel free to just let me know.....take care.....Miki
advertisement