Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

crashh's law- Whatever can go wrong, Will go wrong

crashhccrashh Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
~X( :O
Well, Hello everyone. It is me again. I hope you all had a great holiday so far, mine was not too bad considering So I am now 4 months post-op L4S1 discectomy. I am still have very bad pain down left leg and now my right upper leg gets totally numb. Very bad stabbing pain in my lower back area. I still have some kind of fluid leak. After seeing another surgeon because my original surgeon basically threw me out of his office saying I was beyond his skill level. I went yesterday to a highly recommended doctor about 100 miles away from me. I took my original MRI and my post-op MRI. He came in the office and said I don't know what the other doctor did but he did not fix you. You have a ruptured disc L4L5. This was there before the surgery and now is still there after the surgery. He said he does not know why the surgeon did not fix it the first time. Nore does he know what the previous surgeon actually did do while he was in there. I now need a spinal fusion. The problem is that the fluid is blood not spinal fluid. So they can't operate until they find where the blood is coming from. So I have to get CBC ESR CRP MRI next week( I dont know what the hell that means) and biopsy the fluid. Then drain it and see what happens. He said it is too dangerous to do the fusion now. I am sooo pissed at that other doctor. I wanna go kick his ass!!!!! So here I am again stressed the hell out and scared to death. I only get 6months of disability and that means in Jan I will have nothing coming in. My job is ready to fire me that means no insurance in the new year. I was hoping to be recovered by then:( I just dont know what to do.
advertisement

Comments

• I agree with KIn, get all your notes and reports together from both the previous surgeon and the hospital. Did you have any x-rays fillms done after your durgery?
    It may well be that the first Dr did fix it but the herniation had become worse since so dont jump the gum just yet. Get everything together first then deal with this later.
    At this time you have to concentrate on your health, so please try to put your anger aside (I do know it is difficult)
    Now CBC, ESR,CRP are all blood tests that will check, red& white cells, check for aneamia, infection and inflammation.
    The MRI you know.
    I really hope that this new Dr comes through for you
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hey that sounds like a messed up deal, but wow I'm glad you went to another surgeon "sooner than later"!!! Don't sweat the tests, those are normal and just paint a better picture of your health for the doc. Keep your strength up, keep your health up and it will make the second surgery easier to recover from. Hang in there!!!

"C"
  • thanks. I am having a hard time with all of this. I am so on edge, even the meds cant really keep me calm. I am trying though...very hard. I am flipping out on my girl and I know thats not right. bahh... On a better note, after 7 years I have finally asked my girlfriend to marry me:) she said yes of course. So I will try to stay positive. I think I will ask the doctor for something to help me sleep. Right now I am taking the Neurontin/ Tramadol and sometimes Percocet. Like now cause I am so pissed and in pain I took 2 percs 10/325 but I know now I will be up for a while cause of it. What did you take to help sleep? I maybe get 4 hours per evening.
  • CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's fantastic that your girlfriend said yes!!! She is a very lucky woman.

Well the sleep thing is really a difficult subject, because some people would give anything to have just 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. You need to get some though if you are facing more surgery soon. Talk to the doc and explain that you can't sleep and why and what the Percocet does etc... He may have his own tried and true combination for getting patients to have more nights of sleep.

My PM docs have had me use Melatonin and also Benadryl. Both are OTC and easy to get, but I recommend just seeing what your doc suggests.

No need to flip out on your fiance, you can come here and flip out all you need. Someone is always around.

"C"
  • I really do. First, are you getting behind on the pain? That might be causing some anxiety as well.

But with my second surgery (a fusion without hardware), I never got better. In fact, I was much worse. When I finally went to a neurosurgeon (I had hesitancy because 2 surgeries in 3 months had not helped), the ns could tell on x-rays alone that I was missing a facet joint at L5-S1. X-rays that I had in my possession, meaning the 2nd surgeon ordered them and reviewed them!! (Results verified with MRI, CT Myelogram, etc.) I think the 2nd surgeon didn't know how to fix me, "above his paygrade" kind of situation. So, why not pretend nothing is wrong and send me on my way? (Oh, he did offer me an ESI, but I left, got my records and never went back.)

So where did that piece of bone go? I think it broke off accidentally during the 2nd surgery, but is not mentioned in surgery notes and that surgeon did not stabilize me. I had dangerous over-rotation and shearing as a result.

Sometimes, docs are just worthless. I'm sorry you might have had a surgery with one. Many also have this "success complex". If you aren't a surgery success, then don't want to deal with you. It should be disallowed, but we just get screwed and suffer sometimes. But I guess the blessing is - this doc WON'T be touching you again, and had he continued to work with you, he might have screwed something else up!

I can imagine your anxiety - try to get the pain under control and get some sleep. All you can do right now is try to take a big deep breath. Maybe this new surgeon will be amazing and it will make sense why you were led to him.

What a mixed bad - I will pray for you with the issues. Also congrats on the impending marriage. Nothing better than having a compassionate loved one to help us through these tough times.

( (HUGS) )

Cheri
  • That is just too scary, Crashh! The good thing is that you found a capable surgeon. If I were you, I would request an Surgery Report from the hospital where the previous doctor performed your procedure. I would show that to the new surgeon. If there is a good reason to believe that the first surgeon did something wrong or did not do what he was supposed to do, there may be grounds for a malpractice suit. You could deal with that later, right now the most important thing is to get the proper treatment. It was smart of you not to take the first doc's words at face value and sfound a second surgeon.

Good luck! let's hope you finally be able to get relief.

Kin
  • Congratulations! Let's hope that with a good woman's support and with the help of a competent surgeon you will overcome these difficulties.

Wishing you and your Honey all the best!

Kin
  • Got to say this sucks for you. I'm sorry to hear this but very glad you've found a surgeon who has identified the problem and has a plan to fix it.

You mentioned sleeping meds. For me, if I take some sort of sleeping meds, I'm worse off in the morning becuz I've been knocked out and therefore haven't changed position all night. I think maybe it was Ron who sometime in the past mentioned he had taken Zanaflex as a muscle relaxer. I spoke to pain doc about it, and he prescribed it for me at bedtime. I love it. It is a great muscle relaxer and makes me sleep. I don't wake up with a hangover feeling. I can only take it at night tho, becuz it does knock me out.

I was very angry when my first surgery and postop was not handled correctly. It took a lot for me, but I've tried to turn that anger into being productive and researching every single thing I can about my condition. Moneywise-go to the hospital's risk management department and tell them of your quality concern. You might get them to write off the bill or help with the future bill if the first surgery was not handled correctly. I understand that there can be risks and no firm guarantees with back surgery, but if the 1st doc violated the standard of care in some way, the hospital may be willing to cut you a deal so that you don't bear the financial burden.

I feel for you, I really do. Anger is not so bad an emotion, it is better than depression and it sounds like you're willing to fight! Use that anger in a positive way. Determination will help you during this long haul.
advertisement