Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who is your support system and how do they support you?

lulusheartllulusheart Posts: 4,273
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Maintenance
so many of us have our husband or wife or maybe some one else as a major support system. >:D< i was wondering what role these major caregivers play in your life? i let my husband do the talking when i go in to see my doctor, any doctor dealing with my back. we weren't getting anything accomplished with my pm, John stepped in and now i have my meds and a reasonable relationship with that doctor. John picks up my meds and sees when they need to be refilled ( and we are talking about 15 or so differet meds.) =D> he is there when i need a back rub or a shoulder to cry on. :''( who is your support system and how do they support you? Jenny :)
advertisement

Comments

• This question is easy yet hard to answer!! My husband is my support system (along with my 2 teenage boys), and there literally isn't anything he wouldn't do. We actually pay our 16 year old to e the housekeeper/laundry person. He does all the housework/all the laundry. That is such a help for hubby since he works full-time, and I'm reclined full-time. Son is thrilled to get the extra money and he is actually (if you can believe it) doing an excellent job for us.

Hubby is wonderful, the best friend, and truly understands as much as he can, how I feel and does everything he can to make my life better, even when there's not much that can be done. That's why this is hard to answer - there's almost nothing he wouldn't do. My mom, sister and dad all live 8+ hours away. And I know this isn't the life my hubby signed up for 21+ years ago when we married. But he truly meant "in sickness and in health". I'm blessed.

Cheri
  • My best friend is 600 miles away and yet it sometimes feels like she's sitting in the chair next to me. The miles just melt away when we need each other. She gives me advice on my ACDF recovery and I give her support with her PLIF recovery. You guys have been wonderful to offer so much information so that I can relay things to her via you guys. At home I have teenagers but I have to admit my youngest who is 16 is the BIGGEST help physically when I need him. It's been just me and my 3 children for a long time now and I never dreamed how they would step up to the plate the way they have. My 16 year old doesn't leave the house without kissing me on the top of the head and asking if I need anything while he's out. He's even learned to do some cooking. And he even offers shoulder massages. I have a great bunch of people in my life whom I count on and are always there for me. I am blessed. :X
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,714
    My wife is my number one support. She has been with me through thick and then. There have been many things she has had to give up because she knows that I cant do some things, so she doesnt do them either.
    She is there anytime I need advice, a shoulder to cry on or a voice that will tell me I am doing something wrong.

Beyond that, its my Son and Daughter. I could never had asked or even imagined the level of support both of them provide for me.

With them, I dont have to worry who will support me, I just have to make sure I do the right things.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My entire extended family is there for me but it is my wife and 15 year old son who are always right there for me. As I am for them. It works out wonderful when you have a strong family. I don't know how people do it without this............Paul
  • My husband has learned to understand but it didn't come easily to him. He's gone all week so mostly I'm on my own.
    I started going to therapy a couple of weeks ago and came to the realization that I rarely ask for help of any kind. I'm trying to work on that. So, in reality, I've learned to be my own best support system.

Of course, all the folks here at Spine Health help a great deal. I don't know how I would have made it through all of this without you! Just being here and trying to help others helps me more than anyone could imagine.

Griff
  • :) griff, that must be especially difficult to be on your own so much and have pain. :''( i am glad you find SH to be of company to you. i am up so much at night that i find it a great companion as well. =)) perhaps with time your husbands' work schedule will change and your time will be spent together more. :X it is nice to have you around! Jenny :)
  • My husband has been an angel in this whole ordeal. He took it upon himself to get the house prepared for me prior to going in for surgery. He stayed overnight with me in the hospital when he could. He learned to do some of the household chores I was handling. He even tried to cook, bless his heart. ;-) He really has been my cheerleader.

My spiritual community has been great to me too. They have brought food or company or a walking companion. The Center for Positive Living. I am not shy anymore about asking for help. You would be surprised how many are willing and wanting to help that are just waiting for an invitation. Don't be afraid to ask!!! Seek and ye shall find. Ask and it shall be done.

SH and my other online friends have built me up as well.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement