Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What could you have not lived without during recovery...

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The list on this site is amazing =D> (Love It!!), but I don't have the time or $$ to do all of it. What would be the things you absolutely would not want to do without from hospital to recovery?
advertisement

Comments

• After much reading, I was really concerned that I didn't have a recliner to sleep in after my 2-level ACDF. I read a lot of posts on this forum that suggested a "wedge pillow". I paid $40 (including shipping & handing) and bought the pillow that was 12". I don't know what I would've done without it. It allowed me to sleep in a reclined position (getting in and out of bed was challenging, but the pillow made it easier), and I could also prop myself up a little more to watch TV!
  • Definitely my grabber and the raised toilet seat!
  • I love my laptop computer, it is easy to handle and kept me occupied. I have books, television shows I taped in advance to watch later and my grabber. I was given one to use and it helps. I know this one is personal but we are all here going through the same things so here it is...a toilet tongs. It will help you reach your bottom because you cannot bend too much post fusion. Also, make sure you put your most used items in a reachable position. Pots/pans on the countertop, refrigerator items on top shelves. Whatever you don't have, don't worry, you will feel so good in a couple of days it won't matter. Oh, and have someone to stay with you for some time. Best Wishes
    P.S shave your legs before you go!
  • I agree with laptop. I took my to the hospital too because they had free wifi but I was too doped up to use it only once or twice. I used it and still use a lot post op to occupy me. I did shave my legs and I had someone put my hair in braids because I wasn't able to wash my hair while I was in the hospital for 4 days and I didn't feel like it when I got home for a day or 2 and I'm used to washing my hair everyday. I brought my own nightgowns with buttonup in the front and my own comfy robe and underwear. I was not expecting to wake up to a cathetar and no undies. I couldn't wait to get that thing out and get my panties back on =))
  • I love the shaving legs reminder..
    I have to ask what are toilet tongs and where do you get them... or are they "hand crafted"?
    Might be a good project for my hubby who just got laid off .."Hey can you make me some toilet tongs?" =))
  • My husband found them at Walmart in the kitchen supply area! What a guy! They were regular tongs that I wrapped toilet paper around and wahlah!!! It takes a little finesse when releasing the soiled paper though. Try 'em before the surgery to get a hang of it. I also bought some flushable baby wipes to "freshen up with". Good Luck to you and remember to have someone with you from pre-op till the next day to make sure you have what you need when you need it.
  • my grabber (have 2 or 3 around the house), my laptop and my laptop caddy that pulls right up to me when I'm reclined in my sofa. It is an adjustable desk on wheels that pulls over my chair and can be tilted for the best level. I can be on the Internet every minute if I need to be (for distraction.)

And definitely my recliner, and if I hadn't had one, I would have rented one for a month or so.

Good luck!!

Cheri
  • Believe it or not can be purchased online are relatively inexpensive and will save your family from having to help you out in that area and from complete embarassment if your two daughters are the only ones home. Try googling Medical Supplies.
  • okay, I am going to ebay toilet tongs and start practicing.
    My family will LOVE this one. Especially my husband who still thinks farts are funny. :))(
  • steps for my small dog to make it up and down to the couch, bed, and chair so I could hold him. The elevated toilet seat....that sucker's a loooooong way down when you are freshly post op. =D>
  • I wish I had heard about toilet tongs pre op. Do you use them for the salad when you are all recovered =)) Just kidding that is so gross. :sick:
  • :P I wouldn't want used tongs from ebay. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> =))
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Laptop, grabber, plastic bag to put on the seat for car ride home, silk blanket or sheets to make turning over in bed easy, bendy straws, med caddy and schedule, and laxatives ;)

My hospital OT came to see me and gave me a kit with grabber, sock puter-oner, scrubby on a stick, and TOILET TONGS :))( (just like salad ones but rubber tipped, I actually didn't need them).

Best of luck to you with your surgery, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Oh, yeah! I forgot about that one. Really important now that it's cold! Brrr.
  • For me, it was my grabber and my sock aid. I din't need the toilet tongs, I found them hard to use, so I just managed. I have a friend who is an RN and she helped me with that detail.
  • if you are any whaere near that time of the month....pads---its almost impossible to bend enuff for tampons....
  • Hi all :H I read the threads often..but I don't post much. I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed this thread today! As they are the necessities we need, I still got a chuckle reading some of the posts =)) It has helped lighten my mood on my upcoming fusion! >:D<
  • Before my surgery, I moved all of my stuff to the top drawers in the bedroom and the bathroom. This made it so that I didn't have to bend over when I needed pj's or my brush. I then borrowed a bench for the bathtub since it is impossible to take a shower without getting your back wet but really impossible to get in and out of the bathtub. My husband bought me a walker and a raised toilet seat. and last but not least, the good ole laptop. So these things I could not do without:
    Everything where I could get to them
    Bench for the tub
    walker
    toilet seat
    and the good ole laptop
  • The stool softners. Lord knows they came in handy WHEW
  • Besides of the above suggestions, which are all good, the thing I needed the most was a 3'' memory foam mattress topper. That made sleeping so much more comfortable. As a bedside table, my husband also set up a computer side table as my night stand. We could adjust the height and it can be mobed over the bed or to the side. Great!

Kin
  • Thanks everyone, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed but this thread has helped me prioritize my preparations. I am feeling so much closer to being ready -less than 2 weeks til my surgery!! I still need to get the toilet riser & TONGS! and my satin sheets.

• Definitely the grabbers - actually one for every room, raised toilet seat with handles on the sides was very important. In public places I still prefer the "handicapped" stalls - they usually have higher seats too. and +1 on rearranging frequently used items (socks, undies, PJs) to top drawers. In the hospital it would be lip balm, foam ear plugs, and if I had thought of it before - throat spray with some numbing action from when they took the intubation tube out.
  • I forgot about lip balm but yes my lips got chapped and I had a sore throat too from the tube they put down your throat so I ate a lot of ice chips. I also had very dry hands from using those wipes to wash up with so I had lotion with me.
  • The biggest thing that helped me was someone around to advocate for me at home and do the things that I can't do.

I didn't get the tongs, but in the hospital the OT showed me different options for using the wet wipes.

I also love my grabber, satin sheets, etc. Oh, and on the satin sheets I only put the bottom one on and a flannel sheet on top since it is cold.

I dwe will don't have a walker, but they did send me home with a cane and one of the sock assisters.

One thing I wish we had was a better recliner, and as soon as it is in the budget we will be getting one.
advertisement