Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A Farmer that's glad to find this forum. Lower back problems.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
<):)
Hi. I'm a 45 year old organic farmer that has developed spinal stenosis, degenerative disk, and arthritis in my lower back. I've got one decent disk left in my lumbar region, the others are slowing fading. I'm sure like most of you, I have my good days, but not too many. My PT has limited my lifting to 25lbs, but that tends to make farming a bit difficult.

I'm looking forward to gleaning ideas on how to exercise without doing more damage, how to deal with the bad days, and maybe even how to get some of this weight off.

I'm glad I found this site (actually someone from Easter Seals directed me to it). Living in a very rural area makes it difficult to find a group of people that understand. I look forward to giving and learning.

Mike.
advertisement

Comments

• We have alot in common. I suffer from the same ailments that you do. I also started with PT and moved on to injections and finally to surgery for an annular tare. I can tell you that as far as the arthritis in my facet joints the best relief that I found has been from rhizotomys (nerve burns). Everyone is different though and what has worked for me may not work for you. I use alot of heat and sometimes ice on my lower back. I actually got a back wrap that you heat in the microwave and it gives off moist heat. It wraps around your entire low back and fatens with velcro. It is also safe to go to sleep with since it can not burn you. Hot baths are helpful on bad days also. There are lots of conservative things that you can do that will help with the pain. I do use muscle relaxers sometimes because I do get severe muscle spasms. You have come to the right place to meet lots of friendly folks that are eager to support one another. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. It is a great place to meet others who share the same afflictions and also a great place to learn things and garner new ideas.

What exercises and stretches if any does your PT have you doing? Are you able to do anything to strengthen your core muscles?

Anyway, welcome aboard.

"C"
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it sounds like you need to learn some new ways of lifting and moving and even exercising. :? you don't want to hurt yourself more. you must feel rather isolated where you are. i hope we help with those feelings. being alone with your pain is the worse!! ~X( have a look around the different forums. try the "Chronic Pain or Arthritis" forums for some new input. good luck as you seek pain relief! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to the site, you will definaley find people here who will understand what you are going through, I have recently seen another farmer her as well.

I am not in a rural area, but am isolated as well with my spine issues, pain, etc, and have found this site so useful, and have made many friends here,

Again, a big warm welocme to you
  • Wanted to comment on the living in an area where finding anyone who understands being very difficult. I really really really understand that one, and if it weren't for the Internet I would have lost it a long time ago. I live on an island 1000 miles south of Tokyo , Japan. My computer became my "window to the world" when I injured myself. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Welcome to our ever expanding world!

"C"
  • I am sure that I everyone would agree that we are happy to have you join Spine-Health. Especially with the wonderful attitude that you seem to have brought along. I know that this will be a symbiotic relationship. :)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Welcome to the forum. Did your PT give you a list of exercises to do? Mine did and they hurt me to do them but in the end it helped even more. Since my back surgery i am limitted for the rest of my life to not lifting no more then ten pounds. I'm 62 so the age range has something to do with it as well. I like the way you stated your issues and that you are willing to learn and recover quickly. I wish i had some info to help you but i'm very sure someone here can. Lots of luck.
    Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
advertisement