Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why can't things go right?

4jkasper44jkasper Posts: 231
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Matters of the Heart
I went to the NS yesterday and he basically said there is nothing more he can do unless I become in danger again which Iam not right now. I have a herniated disc above my fusion, one in the thorasic area and a large bone spur in my fusion area.NS feels more surgery will not make things any better but says he thinks a spinal cord stimulator will help with the ongoing pain I am in.Well, I called my insurance company and they said IF I get it in and finished by Dec. 31, 2008 it will be covered at 100% because of all the medical bills I have had this year.I can't find ANYONE who says I can get it done that quickly, I even tried 2 hours away in a larger city and can't find anyone.
So, I will not be getting it because of the cost and we can't afford it. I just wish things could go the great way once in a while, it seems our luck isn't so good lately.
Jeanette
advertisement

Comments

• Hey 4j: I have thought that same thing about my life now and again. Why? Why me, why so awful, why did it happen this way? I have found that "why" is like an empty, dark tunnel because it seems there are no good answers. I can only say, I can relate, I sympathize, and I care. You have been through quite a journey. If you can, surround yourself with supportive people. Distract yourself, if possible, with things that make you happy and laugh...For me, that is the Bible, my Savior, my church. What is it for you? Nurture yourself. Do you journal? It helps me. I am thinking about you and praying that you will get a break...that things will turn around for you and that the holidays will lift your spirit. Hang in there sweety. PM me any time.
    Laura
  • Me and you have something in common, we're at a crossroad as far as treatment is concerned. It's a hard pill to swallow, but I can say I have already made my peace. I'm sorry you weren't able to get the procedure done by the end of this month. Maybe you can ask them to put you down in case of a cancellation. I know that it's cutting things close but that's about all that can be done for now. You have to keep going and continue to live as best as you can. It's hard but I am thankful to have these forums here where I can relate to others with my problems. Just take things one day at a time because it's the best we can do.
  • I apologize if this is too personal but I saw that you had to quit your job, have you thought of filing for social security disability? Maybe that extra little bit of income would help with your medical related expense - maybe you could consider it. I filed for s.s. disability as soon as my doctor told me to quit and a few days after that my surgery was scheduled for Feb. I realize I may not get it and if I do it may be 2 or more years away, however, I did file and If I receive it, it will add to our income, not what I used to make but it would be something. My surgeon said he wouldn't be able to correct my entire problem with the anterior and posterior fusion and discectomy and I would always have some pain. I hope that mentioning filing for disability wasn't too personal. I'm like you though, if I could have gotten my surgery in before the end of this year, I would have been at the 100% mark too - but I don't think it will take too long for me to drive up my bills to be at the 100% mark again after Jan. 1st. I blame myself though, I am the one who resisted interrupting life to have surgery. Again, it was just a suggestion. I hate to think of you having to put off or not get pain relief, I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better, Susan
  • is not too personal for me anyway... I have filed for SSD, I just got my denial letter last week so I will begin the appeal process. But, thanks for the idea....
    Jeanette
  • When i had my surgeries i was told by social security that i HAD to use up my State Disabitity first before i could apply for Soc. Sec. I was so surprised when they said that because i know nothing about these things. I will keep you in my prayers and a journal is a very good idea. I have been keeping one for about four years now mostly because when a doctor ask me a question i don't remember the dates.

I am the type of person that would lean on the ins. and my doctor till they are blue in the face from my calling and writhing them so much even tho i know the answer will be no i don't let that stop me. Hang in there, we are pulling for you!

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I'm so sorry. Yes, the process to get the SCS is usually long and involved. Why didn't that doctor mention this before? Ugh.

I'm also 42, and just finished my SCS trial (which is almost always required.) Mine was for 5 days. My pain is mostly radiating nerve pain and the trial was amazing. I had the AND Eon Mini and couldn't be happier. I got the leads removed today and now am anxiously awaiting the appointment to talk to the neurosurgeon to schedule the permanent placement.

The buzzing of the SCS literally for me blocked the pain signals from getting to the brain. That's the point, of course, but not everyone gets relief. I feel very lucky. If you search my name, you will find posts with some details in the Pain Management forum.

So do you have mostly nerve pain? That is the most ideal pain situation for the SCS. How does your insurance work? do you pay 80/20 come January? I was told the trial costs $2000-4000, and then the permanent is around $30,000. (My 3rd surgery, also had 3 surgeries in 12 months, cost over $120,000. I am thankful every day for my husband's employer and insurance.

The SCS was recommended to me last year by another doctor before we moved, and I just wasn't ready to accept I was that bad. I'm there now, with 24/7 burning nerve pain.

Maybe you can get some of the process done yet this month - the psych evaluation, if your insurance requires it, for example.

Many gentle ( ( HUGS))

Cheri
  • Could the NS who recommended it pull some strings for you to have it put in quicker? I have explained the situation to my doctors before and they have been very willing to help. Just a thought for you to try. Good luck.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I did call the NS and he will be in surgery until Friday but the pain clinic said there is no way to get all of the process done in time, this is what everyone said that I called. But, maybe the NS will give me a miracle....

As far as my insurance, I will have to meet my deductable 1st then it pays 80/20.But, with my not working that is just not possible at this time.My husband is already working 2 jobs just to make it now, I can't do that to my family, we just can't afford it...

Things happen for a reason and I guess it just isn't time to have the procedure, when the time is right it will work out...Still doesn't make it easy to totally except but, I am trying.
    Thank You everyone....
    Jeanette
advertisement