Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Half good Half bad

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I finally saw the neurosurgeon yesterday and he explained to me a lot more then my OS did. You see, the S1-L5 area is solidly fused. YEAH!!! L5-L4 has absolutely no fusion. He said that I should have fused there as well in the same amount of time. What's a girl to do? I was put into PT to try to strengthen my muscles. I have to get an EMG done along with Xrays. I go back to see him on Jan.8 and I assume talk about another surgery. Has anyone else been in this predicament and if so how was it handled? Any input would be most welcome and I strongly feel that I can learn from other peoples experences. Thank you!

Carrie
advertisement

Comments

• I'm having the same problem, different location. I had a 3 level ACDF revision in May and the top 2 level fused beautifully, the lowest level has not. Add to that the fact that the screws at that level have moved out of the bone and we have a real quandry.

I go Thursday to see the surgeon again and we'll discuss what we're going to have to do. Who knows, maybe I've magically fused LOL! We can always hope, can't we?

I hope that you don't have to have a revision. This would be my third surgery in a year but, if it improves my situation, I'm all for it as I'm sure you are too.

Let me know how it turns out for you, okay?

Griff
  • Griff, you are a very strong women to be able able to deal with all of this. I busted out in tears and wanted to scream at my old doctor for being to scarred to tell me the truth. Maybe we all will wake up one day and be magically fused. What a day!!! Then we can run, ride bikes, and play like little kids. Until that day we can keep the faith!
    Thanks Griff for making me feel better like you always do!
  • Really, I'm as freaked out as you are! I'm clinging to hope, we always have to have hope. It's what's going to get us through all of this. My biggest fear is that there isn't anything else that can be done. I won't ever be able to run again, I have too much damage and would run about 2 steps and fall flat on my face! At least I can still laugh at myself when I do it LOL

I found out about 3 months ago that the screws were coming out of the bone. My surgeon is very conservative and wanted to wait and see if the level would fuse before we made any decisions. I Imagine that yours may want to give it more time as well if the level is stable and the hardware is holding it in place. The hardest thing is trying to keep a clear mind and not to overthink it until you get there. It's something I battle daily. Thank goodness I only have 2 days left!

Is your leg still bothering you or is it all back pain? I know so little about lumbar problems but have some of the same "symptoms" from damage to my spinal cord. I can't imagine having surgery on the back, it must be really hard.

PM me if you need to rant, cry or even scream, really. It took a LOT for me to get to this point of acceptance and I still have bad days too. While I don't often talk about what's currently going on with me this is such a great support system and just sharing with others helps me get through my bad times.

Hang in there Lady, you're pretty darn strong yourself :)

Griff
  • The only way to actually tell for sure if it really is fusion and not artifact is direct visualization(surgery.) Did you have BMP used during surgery? If so, the scar tissue could actually be bone growing on your nerve root. Loose hardware can cause all kinds of havoc on nerves.

With your complications, I hope your surgeon does want to open you up and take a look. CT and MRI are very limited because of artifact from hardware and just because you look fused on film doesn't mean you are.

I've got scar tissue, I'm not fused, I have BMP induced bone growth on nerve roots. Thankfully my second surgeon recognized the issues, and I am now waiting for my 2nd corrective surgery(had to do 2 cuz I'm not fused.) I hope your new doc can help you, he seems to be on the ball.
advertisement