Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck muscles hurt and leads to a raspy voice?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've noticed that when I have to talk more than the usual (meetings, seminars, etc..) my neck feels like someone has contant grip around my neck and my voice starts to sound raspy.
My neck and throat feel so strained almost like I'd been singing opera for several hours.

I've had ACDF - c3-4, c4-5, c6-7. If anyone else out that has experienced the same please write. I don't know if this is something that is common or perhaps I should see a doctor?

Thanks
Mich
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Michelle, I know just what you are talking about. If I raise my voice (yell, etc) or talk for a long time the front of my neck feels very tight and uncomfortable and I start to sound strained. I think this is fairly common for ACDF surgery. Mine was C3/4, C4/5 and C5/6.
    LJ
    michellyr said:
    I've noticed that when I have to talk more than the usual (meetings, seminars, etc..) my neck feels like someone has contant grip around my neck and my voice starts to sound raspy.
    My neck and throat feel so strained almost like I'd been singing opera for several hours.

I've had ACDF - c3-4, c4-5, c6-7. If anyone else out that has experienced the same please write. I don't know if this is something that is common or perhaps I should see a doctor?

Thanks
    Mich
  • I find that if I talk for longer periods my voice becomes very raspy and hard to understand. I am only 5 weeks post op . I am also unable to raise my voice or yell at he kids. They like it although it can be frustrating.
    Bethy
  • I had C5-6 fusion over a year ago, and my neck muscles still hurt if I talk too much, and I get hoarse. Worse than that is when I cry. It hurts so bad :''( Now when I sing (I used to be pretty fair singer) I am an octave lower, and cannot get thru one song without my throat hurting so much I have to quit singing. It is very frustrating. I think it is probably permanent. I've just had to lear to live with it. Good luck to you, just do the best you can.

Maggie
  • Although I'm just 7 weeks out, the same thing happens to me. When I cheer for my favorite football team, I really feel it afterwords and the next day. Singing has also changed, although I really only sing in the car. My vocal range has narrowed quite a bit. I'm also assuming this is forever, but it's ok as long has my left arm works. :D
  • I'm glad I'm not going crazy,, and that all of you know exactly what I'm talking about.
    It's been hard to explain to my friends and family how my neck hurts.. so it becomes even more frustrating.

Is there anything we can do to help,, apart from just not talking too much : )

Thank you all for writing back and sharing. We're an elite group aren't we?

Take care and God Bless!
  • This week has been weird for me too. I'm almost 6 months post op and at times have had to stop, swallow and try to talk again. I noticed it more though right after surgery.

My neck muscles are killing me as well. It feels like someone is just gripping the back of my neck and pulling tight. I've been using heat to calm it down.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,359
    something about them having to move the laryngeal nerve to the side when doing ACDF's .... Sometimes the Ortho's have an ENT there to "do" that part of the puzzle .... horseness and the such is NOT an uncommon side effect post ACDF's ... How long will it last? Will it get better or worse? ... Lord only knows.

D
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I had 2 level ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with anterior plate and screws and donor bone. My surgery was March 2008. Since the day of the surgery I have not been able to speak more than a very quiet whisper. Neck feels very strained and still have numbness in left arm and hand.
    I saw the neurosurgeon who said my voice will return but can take at least six months. Well its been 9 months now. I was referred to an ENT who went down my throat with a mirrored lighted scope and found right vocal cord is paralysed. I used to love to sing and chat so its become a very lonely world now. My husband is hard of hearing and I don't go out as I have low back issues also. Legs give out completely. I cannot drive, can no longer work. I just joined forum today because I decided there must be people out there going through the same problems. I never knew the impact of not being able to talk. ENT mentioned a surgery where they put teflon on your vocal cord to make it stand up. Three of my dr's do not recommend. They suggest learning to live with it. I hope and pray any of you who suffer from lenghtly vocal cord problems will get your voices back completely. Most do and it can take a long time. If anyone's continues longer than six months I would go see an ENT just to make sure your vocal cords have not been damaged.
  • I had ACDF with plating at C6-7 July of this year. Postoperatively my voice was high pitched, raspy, I couldn't sustain speech without losing air, and I coughed and choked. I have a paralyzed left vocal cord. On December 2nd my ENT doctor injected the paralyzed cord with a product called Radiesse Voice and now my speech is almost back to normal and I don't choke and cough. My singing voice is not very good now but I am grateful just to be able to talk normally again. The injection is not permanent but should last for a long time which will give my own vocal cord a chance to recover. I feel like I got my life back. I do some of my work on the phone and it was incredibly difficult without a normal voice. On another positive note, I got great results from my surgery - no more pain or numbness and improved function. I too would recommend anyone with voice problems lasting more than a few months to seek out an ENT doctor.
  • Hello,
    I am post op almost 3 months..artificial disc replacement C5-6. I too have strain when I talk too much (retail and customer service) and feel like I am being strangled or swallowed something thick a lot of the time. Although I don't wish this on any of you I am so glad to hear that other people have this experience. The doctors and PT's don't tell you these things that may happen even when you have recovered for quite a while. Sorry to hear that even a year out there may be problems, but the positive news for me,at least, is the lessening of headaches, tingling, numbness, and heaviness of my arms. So, for now, taking the good with the bad. Hope we all get relief.
    Mary
advertisement