Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin New Hampshire not from PCP or GP's starting 2009

DaveNHDDaveNH Posts: 58
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
Today I had another follow up visit with my PCP. Today was also the day that my oxy ran out and it should have been ready at the drug store. I had called my doctor on Monday and left a message on the refill line. When I went to the store they told me that it could not have been called in. I had to go get a written script now. So any way, when I got to my appointment, I was told that all oxy prescriptions in New Hampshire had to be picked up at the doctor's office now.
Also starting in January, local PCP or general health care providers will not be able to prescribe oxycotin any more. To get oxy you will have to go to a pain management center. The doctor told me that the reason was because the number of deaths by overdose on oxy was traced backed to PCP type facilities prescribing
oxy.
So, she then gave me a referral to a PM center and said she would make the call and forward my charts and stuff. She still want to see me every two weeks but
says she can't do the oxy any more. This is going to suck because I had a great doctor that I trusted and loved and felt that we had a great rapport. Just another stone wall we the honest ones now have to cross.

advertisement

Comments

• I still see my PCP for everything.She treats me the same way that she always has and we have a great relationship.The only thing that she doesn't do is prescribe my pain meds.She referred me to PM last year & my first appt was in Nov.07-but I was told (by my PCP) that once my pain was treated and leveled off that she would take over the treatment once again.

She explained everything to me,and I felt bad about it at the time.Sort of like she was betraying me,or maybe she didn't like me even.Maybe that sounds odd,but that was how I felt,and keep in mind that I had never heard of PM at the time--so I felt that she was getting rid of me as a patient.

She told me that I could get better pain control this way,and she would not have to worry about the DEA or other Drs in her office.Basically it was for her comfort.At first I didn't understand at all,she then went on to explain that there is about a 6 week waiting period to get into the PM,and if I needed ESI's or other treatment that she could not do-that I would have to go on the list each time,and that at the PM they could raise or change my pain medications without the concern of questioning because that is what they specailize in..perhaps giving me better/more options.

I'm certain this is what is happening with you,but even better,your doc actually won't be able to prescribe to you--so you will have the added benefit of the PM,and still maintain the relationship with your PCP.

Look at it this way,at least you are not laying on a grass mat somewhere in the middle of the Amazon with a witchdoctor chanting over you. :))(

..But I understand & know how you feel ;))

• Hi Dave,

I am living in NH. I am currently going to PM. If you want you can PM me the location of where you live....if you live near me,I can help you out the PM doctors and such.

Nikon
  • Thanks for the offer. My PCP gave me a referral to a place in Somersworth. It's about a thirty minute drive from my home. I had tried PM at the hospital in Exeter (15 minutes away) earlier this summer but I got a letter Monday saying they were closing thier doors December 31. They listed this new place as an alternative. I did a search on them and .... they have a nice web page. :|
  • Hi Dave

I sent you a pm with some information about pain management places in the area. It sounds like you and I live pretty close to each other. :) I hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,

Angie
advertisement