Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is wrong with my back?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

This was a problem for me, about 2 to 3 years ago that went away after a week or so which was caused by lifting up a box full of canned mushrooms.

Anyhow, whatever was wrong then has returned. Since the lower back pains from 3 years ago I have dealt with lower back discomfort and a small decrease in motion. Not entirely a much a decrease in motion I guess as it would be the inability to move certain ways without a very slight discomfort.

Yesterday I was leaning over (Not all the way) at the hip, to pick something up and I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. I knew the pain, because it was the same pain I had from a few years ago after lifting a box of canned mushrooms.

I was hoping that it would only be painful for a few minutes or seconds but it appears whatever was wrong with me then, I have re-injured.

The pain is best described as completely debilitating. Seriously, this is the worst, horrendous pain you could possibly be in, but it's not a constant pain. If I am in a sitting position and go to stand up it takes a while and it's very painful to straighten my back out.

Likewise, while laying down it's VERY hard to find a position that isn't causing constant pain. I eventually find a way to lie down which doesn't cause severe pain but minor pain nonetheless.

If I am laying down on my back flat it is very hard to raise either leg up in the air as it will cause very bad pain in my lower back. Things like putting on socks are very hard because I cannot reliably bend at the hip without causing extreme pain. When I look at myself in the mirror my abdomen even looks crooked. It looks like my midsection is shifted to the right. I guess the best way to describe it would be to say I look like a belly dancer who moved her belly to the right and it got stuck that way.

I am unemployed at the moment and without any health insurance as I was back when I had a job. Going to the doctor is an extremely last resort unfortunately and I am curious of what methods or things I can use to help alleviate this pain until it decides to go away as it did once before.

Thank you
advertisement

Comments

• My doctor told me when you start to have nack pains here and there not constant, it is your back giving you warning signs.

If I were you, and I am not a doctor, but I have lived my life in pain, I would ice and heat 20 minutes on 20 minutes off, maybe you need to see a chiropractor to make an adjustment. I once had this horrible pain in my back ,I went to a massuese, she made it worse , then I was numb and the pain traveled all the way down my arm, I went to the doctor and they just put me on pan meds, went to the chiropractor and he popped me back into place in a second, I had a rib popped out of place and OMG the pain was intense to breath, talk , walk, but after the adjustment I felt 100% better. Sometimes you can find a chiropractor to give cash discounts, call one and explain how you feel and let them know you are unemployed and ask if they have a cash discont plan, I am pretty sure most do!

Good Luck, I know how bad this back pain stuff is, MISERABLE!
  • Perhaps there is a free clinic that could help you see a Dr. You probably need further testing and medications for the pain. Some Drs are able to tell you what's wrong through a physical assessment. I'm concerned about chiropractor manipulations before you've had an MD assess you. I know it may help for some but not everyone to see a chiro. I agree with the ice treaments for 20 minutes about 4 times a day and also heat after a few days of injury. I hopoe you're feeling better soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello-welcome to S~H :H

I personally never advise going to a chiropractor before finding out what is wrong with your back.Manual manipulation can worsen your problem if you have something going on back there.I mean no disrespect to the previous poster,this is only my personal opinion.

Do you have a free clinic in your area that takes walk in patients? Perhaps if you call your regular Dr they will know of a treatment center that you might be unaware of.A lot of communities have free clinics where you can at least get x-rays and other tests done,and maybe some medication to treat your pain.

Without insurance I don't know how,but maybe the Dr would order PT or other forms of conservative treatment.Is there any chance that you could apply to socail services to get emergency medical coverage-or is there any type of medical coverage offered to the unemployed in your area?Your Dr might know.If not look up the Socail Services in the yellow,or blue pages of your phone book.

I hope you get relief.I've had that pain before.It lasted a couple weeks each time and I get it off & on.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you might try bed rest and aspirin for a few days and really stay off your feet. Ice is a good idea as well. if the pain persists you might try a teaching hospitol. there is a small article about them under the "Health Insurance" forum. good luck! Jenny
  • Thanks for your advice. It's not any better this morning. I can barely walk without holding onto walls and can barely get out of bed. This is horrible.
  • Made me feel better at first but actually ended up worsening my condition in the end. You really should try and find a way to see a medical doc first. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I too would have flare ups like that about once per year for about 10 years or more and I would go to the chiro for adjustments and be better in 4-6 weeks until next year. I would always do something stupid, slam dancing, 4wheeling, having a non-professional crack my back, slipping on ice. Then after about 10 years my back started going out at the slightest things, like just getting out of my car and I knew something was wrong because I wasn't responding to treatment. I to had the pain in my low back. I think the chiro did more harm than good. I would suggest getting xrays, mri if you can find some assistance with medical bills since you are unemployed.

Please keep in touch and updated on your progress.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.