Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

frustrating post surgery findings

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had another MRI yesterday to check on the cause of continued (worse) sciatic pain following a microdiscectomy(L5-S1). Luckily the disc did not re-herniate (as many of you assured me of… THX). Turns out, there is a bone spur putting "slight" pressure on another nerve. Neuro said something like the size of the herniation blocked this in the original MRI and since he didn't see it, he didn't want to go fishing around while in there so he didn't catch it (I'm getting more annoyed by this the more I think about it, but what can I do at this point). Anyway, he decided the best course of treatment would not be to go right back in a fix it, rather he is putting me on Neurontin 300mg 3x per day and is sending me to PT. For those who've been there, does this sound like a good plan? Things have been OK lately, but I'm due to go back to work after the holidays. I'm a kindergarten teacher so the thought of taking it easy at work is NOT an option.
Everyone on this forum has been so helpful through this, thanks again!!
advertisement

Comments

• Anytime a spine issue can be handled with medication and PT, I would recommend that over surgery. That is, until you get to a point where that isn't helping and you need more permenant relief.

Surgery is a 50/50 situation. You may get relief or you may get more pain. I don't want to sound gloomy about it, but a lot of folks I think sometimes under estimate spine surgery and recovery.

Just educate yourself about your options and ask questions. Be up front with your doctor and tell him/her is the conservative treatment is working or not.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I would take PT and anything else as preference to surgery.
    Suragey is great if it is really needed and all other options have been exhausted but if your pain is decreasing then go with the PT and meds.
    Blessings Sara O:)