Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg has gone Numb and Weak

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I had microdiscectomy on my L5-S1 disc, I also had a calcified bone spur in that area that was removed. This happened on the 21st of November so its been a little over 3 weeks. After the surgery I still had pain. It had lessened a little but it was still pretty bad. I took an oral steroide 6 day pack and felt alot better while taking that.

Before surgery I had very little numbness, just a little tingle, and no weakness. Now 3 weeks after surgery my leg has gone completely numb and is very weak. I have another MRI scheduled for the 15th to see if they missed somthing. I just dont know how or why my leg would be getting more numb now after the surgery then it ever did before.
advertisement

Comments

• It could be your nerves healing. I've heard it can take 6-12 months for them to heal. If there is nerve damage I don't think it will show up on the MRI so if continues please let your doc know and have them do a nerve test. I didn't have numbness and pins and needles feeling until a couple of months after L5/S1 fusion. I just had SI joint injection and that only helped a couple of days, now I have to got back to drawing board with PM this week to see what other options I can try.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with your MRI tomorrow.
  • Good luck with your MRI today. Let us know what the report says.
  • I'm 3.5 weeks post-op with L4 & L5 Fusion. Prior to surgery I had no problems on my right side. 2.5 wees post-op i felt what I would say was a hamstring pull in the right thigh. a couple of day afterward the problem went away and the next day a small spot on the outside between my knee and my hip was numb. 2 days later most of my upper thigh on the outside and about the middle of the thigh has went numb. I called the PA and they told me to come in ASAP. To not I had a localized pain in my lower right back in the lumbar area. This is intermittent and seemed to be worst when walking a bit. I reduced my walks which were no more then say 500 yards three times daily to twice daily and lots of bed rest. This has helped my back but the numbness in my thigh continues. The PA and OR Nurse spoke with me and noted everything and said all of us would keep an eye on it, my next follow-up is on the 26th of December. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Terry
  • I had decompression and fusion of L4/L5 in August and my recuperation was going very well until about a week ago (6 weeks post op). My toes started going numb and now the top of my right foot and into my ankle are also numb. Of course it causes some difficulty walking as it feels as though the foot is asleep.
    This was not the case before I started physical therapy. I have informed the surgeon and the therapist but no one seems to be too concerned. Why would this start now after so many weeks of healing?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

beaglemom
advertisement