Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about meds?

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
Hi there,

I'm fairly new here...posted a few times. I believe the last time I did I was saying how disappointed I was in my PM doc I've seen the past 2+ years who made me feel bad the last visit (about 2-3 months back) b/c she mentioned a psychologist. Since then, my family doc sent me to a spine doc who sent me for a repeat cervical MRI (showed nothing changed...still DDD and 3 bulging discs from 2 years ago) and a NEW lower MRI for NEW severe sciatic pain (which is why I was upset and told to see a shrink) and just got diagnosed with L5-S1 disc...does not require surgery thank God. The surgeon was really conservative...gave tramadol...did not work and Rx PT which I am doing now (makes me hurt though). I have been on Fentanyl patches the last 2 years for cervical pain, but recently weaned off. Since I knew this new sciatic pain was not in my head (as so many of us are told), I did not go to the psychologist and I didn't go back to the PM doc. I took my results to my family doc and he was completely wonderful and understanding! He's felt this pain before! That's exactly what we all need...is someone who has actually felt this chronic pain before...to know what we are feeling. Anyway...sorry for the long intro...but here is my question...

My doc gave me oxycondone 10mg to take every 12 hours...but its not an extended release form. Then he gave me percocet to take for breakthru pain in between. Is anyone on this regimine or been on it? I also take topamax...but he mentioned lyrica which I may consider again b/c I took it a while back and it worked, and this sciatica is more 'nerve' pain than my cervical discs caused. I think most people take the oxycontin which is longer lasting than oxycodone...is that right?

Thank you for your thoughts
advertisement

Comments

• Oxycontin is a long acting pain med. Oxycodone is short acting. I have seen members here that do take it though. I take methadone which is also an opiate and percocet for breakthrough pain. Soma for spasms.
  • Thanks...I know that the fentanyl patches provided the best relief ever...but I was so excited to get off of them a couple months back...now I'm back to taking something around the clock again anyways. Oh well...I'm hoping PT will help and this will be temporary for a couple or few months.