Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OK, silly girlie question - don't laugh

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am now 4 weeks post op. My incisions are healed - look great. I don't see my doc for 2 more weeks and at that point I guess he'll release me to drive (hope). But that's not my question...

I long for a nice, hot bath. I'm so tired of using my hub's shower and a shower chair to "attempt" to shave my legs! In my tub (not a whirlpool tub), I can keep the water level overall to just under my incision so it doesn't just soak. But can anyone here tell me what the protocol is for bathing? I have a good handle so I'm not concerned with falling. Seems like I've read that some of you are swimming at this point?

(I had a PLIF level 4-5 with decompression and separate incision over hip for bone graft)

Isn't it funny how the least little things become so important once you are restricted from doing them??????

Kathy in Atlanta
advertisement

Comments

• HHMMNN, I am still shaving in the shower chair,lol.

I was told the pool was OK once the inscision was completely healed (about 5 weeks for me). Swimming in a deeper pool is allowed because the water takes a tremendous ammount of pressure/weight off of the spine. So those bending and twisting movements that I was not allowed to do out of water I was allowed to do in the deep water because of the lack of weight resistance. This is how my doctor explained it to me.

I have avoided getting into the the tub because I had no way of getting in and out without breaking my BTL restrictions. I fell last week and still needed someone to get me up off of the floor, so sitting in the tub is still off limits to me.

Hugs,
    Shell
  • All those little hairs floating around you? To each their own ;)) Just teasing you, but seriously, you should wait until you see your surgeon-it's just 2 more weeks of this inconvenience. Good luck!
  • Nobody ask me about shaving. Lol. I am the last person you want to ask. Pop! Whoopsie!!!!
  • I cannot bend enough to shave anywhere right now. Thank the Universe that I have a loving sister who came over and used Veet on my legs after 3 weeks of no shaving. My doc told me no baths until my incisions are completely head which I don't think they are at this point. :( Anyway I can't get in and out of the tub on my own.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • My NS gave me permission to go in the pool at 2 weeks post-op. I didn't go until 4 weeks, cause it was being replastered at the YMCA. I could not have gotten in and out to the tub with my BLT restrictions. You could always call and ask the surgeons secretary to find out and get back to you. They are used to questions. Good-luck, Sue
  • I was able to get in the pool at 2 weeks but even now I am not keen on getting in a bath. My tub is quite low and I would be sitting awkwardly in it.

I didn't even bother shaving my legs till I got to about 4 months. Now I can do it if I put my foot on the side of the bath while standing or use the veet and a long handled brush to wash it off :))( (we become very inventive)

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Sara, you are lucky you can make it 4 months without shaving! If I went 4 weeks without shaving my legs my dear sweet hub would probably mistake me for the "missing link" :))( and call the local zoo keepers!

My tub is pretty easy to get in and out of and is large so I can stretch out. It is much, much easier to shave legs in than my hub's shower. I may call the doc and ask.

Kathy in Atlanta
  • May I recommend you have someone put Nair on your legs, wipe them off with a washcloth and then you can rinse off in the shower. Just a suggestion. I am so glad I have long arms, I could reach my legs when I put my leg on a shelf in the shower. Otherwise I would ask my sister to help, I shaved her legs when she had here hips replaced. I wonder what happened to Lo and her shaving experience, sounds interesting.
  • I am fortunate that I live on my own so dont have to think about anyone else. It was also winter for me and though I was going to the pool most of the other pool people were about 70+ and couldn't see a thing without their glasses :))( so I was safe being hairy.

I also had a bad expereince a couple of years ago where I shaved my legs but hadn't realised how numb they were till I saw the blood all over the floor. I have scars from where the razor sliced up my legs, just because I couldn't feel it. So I am a bit wary now.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement