Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stiches or staples

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All, This is one of those curiosity questions.
I have often read here about members having their stiches out or staples out or incision opening after stiches were removed.
Now I had the disolvable stiches which is pretty mush the norm for any surgery done in Australia. Using stiches or staples went out many years ago.
So I am curious what everyone had and where you are from. I know the UK and OZ are more similar.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement

Comments

• I am in Michigan in the USA and had staples, 20 to be exact. They were removed 1.5 weeks after surgery. The incision never opened up and the scar has healed nicely.
  • I am in the US and had stiches and they were removed after 9 days this past Friday(surgeon thought it was close enough to his 10 day timeline). Unfortunately my incision opened up on Saturday and started bleeding, so I had a trip back to the ER to have two stiches put back in (so not the whole length). I will have to go back in and have these stiches removed on Dec 29.

When I had my first laminectomy 5 years ago I had staples, and I can now say that I much prefer stiches. They are a lot more comfortable.
  • I'm in Virginia, USA, and had the disolvable stitches. No problems.
  • I am in North Carolina in the US. Eight years ago I had a discectomy and staples were used. To close me up after my recent TLIF, they used disolvable stiches at two levels internally and a glue called dermabond externally. The glue started to come off on it's own after a while; Although I am almost 4 weeks post op and there is still a bit left. It feels like a mixture between wax and rubber cement.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • California, USA: I had dissolvable internal stitches and steri-strips on the outside that my sis removed for me on day 10. My incision looks great, and no little dots along side like staples leave. I keep putting vitamin E and coco-butter on it every day. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • In Singapore and had stitches. When I had my surgery to remove my hardware 7 months later, the surgeon cut through the old scar in exactly the same way, and used ordinary stitches again. Both times stitches came out at 10 days. Scar has healed beautifully and after 2 years it is virtually unnoticeable.

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I'm in Texas and had the dissolvable stiches, glue, and little steri-strips. No problems. It's so pretty. Well, maybe not "pretty"...

Haylie >:D<
  • It is interesting to hear your replies. I got the impression (wrongly I guess) that most of you had staples or catgut stiches.

I dont like staples either, had them when I had my gall bladder out and the nurse left one in my belly button which sealed over and I had to get cut out a month later. :O I kept feeling something sticking into me!

• hi im from the uk and 8 day's post op.i have been told that my stictches are like a platic..on the other hand they gave me scissors to take out the staples...which is next week so will let you know lol( THE NURSE WILL REMOVE THEM )
    im sure it is stictches...i try not to think as im very squeamish :&
    lol
    middlesex girl
  • I had staples. They removed them after 10 days. I had one problem. One of the dissolveable stitches that was under the staples decided not to dissolve but instead work its way out. It hurt bad. the surgeon called it a pimple because what it does is make a pimple looking white head on the incision and then points out like a sliver. He pulled it out quickly and showed it to me. OOOH it hurt!!!! but then healed nicely.
  • Hi Sara:

I am from California,USA. I had stitches with my back and colon surgeries.

Ellen
  • sounds yucky! I could feel it coming out as I read it :))(
    Sara O:)
  • I had 9 staples after my MicroD, the surgeon who did the op didn't put them in as he was running over for his next operation as mine was more complex than first thought. The Doc who was assisting him did the staples and I had them out a week later.

I am a good healer so for me a week was too long and the scar had healed up really well, absorbing about 6 of the staples. The nurse who had to remove them was kind, but there was no two ways about it, those 6 that were stuck really hurt when they came out, I would rate it by far the most painful bit of the whole surgery experience!
  • I'm from the U.S. Massachusetts to be exact. With my Discectomy I had internal dissolvable stitches and dermabond glue. With my fusion I had both staples and stitches. Stitches in the front that were dissolvable, covered with steri-strips, and on my back I had over 20 staples that were covered with dressings in the hospital and came off 5 days post op, the morning after I got home. They were removed after 2 weeks, and I hated them so very much. VERY itchy, very uncomfortable, when I would sweat from wearing my brace, the staples felt so gross. I have frankenstein scars now, though, and I have to admit I love them. I absolutely love scars.
  • You are such a wierdo, and so am I. I think scars are cool too! :)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I have NEVER had staples so I have no clue what to expect. Can you guys please pray that my surgeon has a change of heart =)) I requested stitches but they said the staples would work better. For who, them or me????? :S
  • I'm from California. I have had two ACDFs and a posterior decompression and this was done for all of them. I only have two neck surgery scars - the Dr. went in the same place for both ACDFs. I also have a scar above my lip from skin cancer removal and for that I had stitches. I was self conscious about them at first but they have healed well and now I like my scars too. I think they give me character ;))
  • Will try to put in a good word for you :))( so you can have stiches not staples.
    I hope everything goes well for you and I am sure it will
  • It appears people have different reactions to the staples.

In my case, the dressing came off the day after I got home. It looked really ugly at first, but the staples were not itchy at all. It may have helped that I was very thorough about washing the incision area every day in the shower.

Some of the "ugliness" was a touch of dried blood near the incision. Also, I had a small indentation near the top of the incision that was caused by swelling. Everything looks normal now.

I had 20 staples. Removal of 2 or 3 of them was a bit uncomfortable, but overall the experience was not bad.

Since then, the holes on either side of the incision where the staples were inserted have all but disappeared and my scar looks really good (for a scar, that is).

Going in to the surgery I would have preferred stitches, but I trusted my surgeon and everything worked out well.
  • For my ACDF's they used dissolveable stitches and steri strips, but for my Laminectomy they used both dissolveable stitches and 28 staples to keep things together. The staples were removed after 10 days.
    mark
  • I think suturing is more of an art, whereas staples go in quick without much expertise required. I have seen both done, and staples are much faster to put in. Personally I think that is why they use them so much ;)
  • in Florida, I'll be having a PLIF with dissolvable stitches and that clear type seal over them...I'll take that over staples anyday. But it's not like the NS asked me my opinion on the subject
  • Mine were itchy as hell, but I can tell you right now I am one of the cleanest, most hygienic people I have ever met. I am a germaphobe. Thanks to my OCD :) Lol. I don't think cleaning them really has anything to do with whether they itch or not, I think it's based on your skin. My skin is more sensitive than the average person's. I'm allergic to wool, which makes me break out in hives. As a kid my parents could only use Dove soap on my sisters & I. So, I dunno if maybe mine were itchy because of that... But who knows. I just know that being clean doesn't prevent itchiness, unfortunately. Lol.
  • yes, that makes a lot of sense Cali-Sue and maybe some surgeons are just not the sewing type!
    Sara O:)
advertisement