Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 month post-op 3 level ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just had my 2 month post op from my 3 level ACDF. It went great! Best news - NO MORE COLLAR! Not even a soft one. <:P
My NS said I could start physical therapy and use my PT that discovered my myelopathy. Again - YEAH!
I still have back spasms, dysphagia, and voice issues - all of which he brought up first and said he wasn't surprised with the level of difficulty of my surgery. I brought my list and just checked things off as he talked. ;) He said they will all get better in time.
He gave me a another script for SOMA and asked if I wanted more Vicodin, which I declined. He said to not hesitate to call in a refill.
I'm excited but nervous about carrying my own weight without support for the first time in 2 months! :))(
advertisement

Comments

• Would someone please come over and pound out the knots between my shoulders and my back.
    Holy cow! :''( It's quite different without my collar on. I guess my head/neck got used to that support and they are "revolting". I can't really "Soma" it since I'm at work either.
  • Hi,
    Good luck to you. It will get easier in time. In Feb,08 I had a 3 level ACDF too. C-3-6. partial corpectomey,cord decompression. I was about 1 1/2 months from quadraparalysis according to my Neuro.
    Wearing the collar is a pain, but you kinda get used to it, sort of like a "security blanket". While it's nice to finally get rid of it, you do have to be careful because those muscles haven't been used in a while........Just take it easy and b careful, especially in vehicles..

Paul
  • Pt can work out the kinks in your back during the recovery, PT can be painful but if you let it go it can eventually start pulling your ribs out of place from you spine. Speaking from experience! and that sucks!!
  • Oh, chele, what a bummer! I was wondering how you were doing. Too bad you can't do your muscle relaxer - I can actually take my Flexiril while at work because it doesn't affect me, just relaxes my muscles a bit.

So sorry about your pain. Do you th [( ink we'll EVER be out of pain? I'm beginning to think not!

Take care,
    Cath

PS I'm still wearing my collar nyah nyah :))(
  • Chele, yep brace weaning is no fun :( I'm not sure if you just gave it up cold turkey, but I would recommend gradually getting rid of it. Maybe go without it 2 hours a day, then 3, etc. My doc said to do it over 2 weeks. I had a TLSO for 10 weeks, and ever since getting out of it, my upper back has not been the same. Oh well, maybe time will fix us hopefully. Good-luck to you. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Hi
    First time on a blog and first time ACDF surgery. It's 1 week now and NOTHING has changed. All original symptoms are still there in addition to the whole and lump on my neck. I am frustrated. Is this normal?
    Thanks, Cindy C.
  • We need more information as to what your situation is, are you post or pre op? Can you add more info please? Thanks!
  • Surgery was Feb. 6th on C3 - 5. Dr. said "success". Home within 24-hrs., no collar, didn't feel too bad. After the anesthesia and Percocet wore off in one day, I went back to ALL of the original symptoms -- entire right side of body numb, on fire feeling, pain. I rested, people brought me food, I didn't go anywhere. Did everything I was told to do. It's as if I had no surgery, except for the scar and lump on my neck. Shouldn't the original symptoms, at the very least, have subsided? If anything, they are worse.
  • I hope you will get more feedback yet on this thread, personally I found my multi level relieved many of my symptoms, but in many cases it takes months for the nerve damage to begin to heal, If I was in your shoes and felt symptoms were worse I would have them x-ray, or check in what ever way they do, and see if something may have moved or the hardware may be impinging, which does happen. I had my right arm totally numb after surgery and they said it was not anything bad unless it does not improve and I was asked over and over for signs of improvement. If you don't feel improvement from symptoms contact the surgeon and stick up for how you feel because sometimes they feel someone is too anxious but you know "YOU" better then anyone. I hope this helps, and I hope more give feedback for this. Good Luck and keep us updated as to how you are.
advertisement