Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 months post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was just wondering if anyone expericeried what I have. And, I do not know all the lingo, so bear with me.
I had an ACD with donor bone on c5-6 4 years ago. In july of this year I had an ACD with donor bone on c6-7. The major pain I was in is gone, but I do still have pain in the middle of my shoulder blades, and feels like a pinching under my right shoulder blade. When I dry my hair is whenI feel it the most, and it can be quite bothersome throughout the day. My dr doesnt seem concerned etc etc. I am going for an X-ray on Monday just to make myself feel better.
AFter my first surgery I was pain free for a few years. Now I am so worried I will be in pain forever. Anyone experience this? Thanks!!!!
Susan
advertisement

Comments

• Is herniated w/ pinched nerve & I have the same pain pattern as you. I was scheduled for a fusion on that disc 4 years ago but canceled it after my ESI made it tolerable. However, I still get this pain flare twice a year or so & it takes awhile to calm it down. I know what you mean about feeling it is pinched UNDER the shoulder blade..that is the hardest pain to describe, noone knows where I am talking about.

I hope you get some relief soon.
  • I had a ACDF c6-7 5months ago. I still have the shoulder blade pain as you describe but it is slowly becoming less painful.
  • Thank yhou for your responses. gulfpearl has your pain been there since surgery? The pain in my shoulder blade has been here since surgery(some days I don't have it)but the achey pain between my shoulers has just appeared in the past month. Im worried something is wrong, but my NS does not seem worried at all. It is not the pain of herniation..its a new pain. I was thinking it could even be arthritis. I go for an xray today..so we'll see.
    Oh, and how is your pain when sleeping? I am a stomach sleeper and I hear that is the worst thing for someone with neck problems. I try my hardest to sleep on my back but always end up turned over...and I can feel it in my neck.
    Susan
  • can anyone tell me if you had improvement with pain and weakness after surgery and what exercise helped most or does it just take lots of time.my injury was very long term.i had acdf in aug 08
  • I am also nearly 5 months post op. my surgery was july31 for C5-6 ACDF with instrumentation. I know the pain you are talking about as well. My main problem pre-surgery was right arm pain/numbness. that resolved after surgery. Neck pain diminished..but now has returned again....I think the more active I am the more it is hurting. I see the doctor January 2nd to discuss return to work.
    I did have a return of the shoulder blade pain along with increased arm issues again. MRI showed fusion doing fine. Then doctor sent me for mri of my shoulder:::torn rotator cuff with calcifications pressing on tendons. A cortisone shot in my scapula area worked like magic! now getting PT. I also had great difficulty lifting my arm up to do my hair, etc..That is a symptom of the rotator cuff injury.
    So, how does one tell where exactly the pain is coming from when symptoms are so similiar for different body areas????
    But I understand about the shoulder pain and the general feeling of just wanting it all behind you at this point. can be very frustrating
advertisement