Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Severe Pain 24/7 Would Like To Hear About Medications That Work For Others

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
http://www.spine-health.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Yahoo/wave.gif
Hi To The Pain Med Group, My Husband Signed Me Up And Is
Pounding The Keyboard For Me. I've Read Some Of Your Past Threads And Sounds Like JVM And Others Are All Too Familiar With The Different Pain Meds And How They Work Or Don't Work!

I've Had 6 Low Back Surgeries, 5 Spinal Cord Stimulators,
And A Morphine Pump. I Now Have Had These Removed, As They Didn't Help! I've Had A 3 Level 360 Degree Fusion With Rods And Screws,A Rod Broke And Procedure Was Repeated!My Last Surgery Actually Helped One Of My Major Pain Issues, It Was An Arthritic Crustation At The Right Nerve Root Canal Of L-2!
However, I Suppose Due To The Rods And No Fusion-- I've
Developed Scoliosis In The Past Several Years In The Low Back Area!If We Draw A Line At The Center Of My Low Back;The Tendons,Ligaments And Muscles Above The Line Are In Constant Spasm Pulling Up Toward My Head! The Ones Below The Line Are In Spasm Pulling Down Toward My Back Side; This Is Very Painful And It's 24/7!
I Tried Some Form Of Oxycotin But, It Made Me Nauseous!
The Doctor Gave Me Some Water Downed Version Of Oral Morphine,Made Me Sick And Didn't Help The Pain! For The Past Several Years I've Been Taking Narco 10/325Mg.2 Per
Dose Sometimes With 2 800Mg. Of Skelaxin Just Takes The Edge Off For About 30 Minutes!I've Seen A Doctor Concerning The ScoliosisBut,He Wanted The Spinal Cord Stimulator And The Morphine Pump Removed, So He Could Do An MRI! Neither One Were Working, Nor Had They Helped My Pain! All Of That Said, I Have Had 3 Pain Doc's And They Either Don't Know
How To Or What To Give Me For My Painhttp://www.spine-health.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Yahoo/silly.gif Or They Don't Care!http://www.spine-health.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Yahoo/devil.gif
http://www.spine-health.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Yahoo/crying.gifI Desperately Need Something To Give Me At Least Some Relief! I'm Aware Most Of The Group Are Not Doc's, Which Is Perhaps A Plus But, I Would Appreciate Any Thoughts You All Would Share With Me! Thanks To All In Advance http://www.spine-health.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Yahoo/clap.gif
advertisement

Comments

• You seem to be is such pain. I feel so badly for you! You have been given some very strong meds and tried different things-all of which has helped some people, but not everyone. This is just my experience- I am not a doctor or even an advocate for any of these things, but just telling you what seemed to help me the most.

I found valium helped-it is a muscle relaxant and mood relaxant. Have they tried prednesone for inflammation reduction? That helped my pain as well by getting rid of the inflamation caused from the nerve compression.

If I was in your boat I would go to a well respected acupunturist and see if I could get some relief from the pain-hey, I saw where they did brain surgery on someone using just acuputure! I would ask if botox injections would help in the very tight areas, and I would ask for medical marijuana- I would be willing to try anything if I was in as much pain as you. Probably my next step would be to go to the Mayo Clinic for pain.

I am so sorry and hope that a medicine will be found soon that will help you! I think you know we all care and a few can even relate.
  • is some type of ER med that you have not tried? I also tend to get nauseated from Morephine, oxy and fentanyl. I am having fairly good results from methadone for now. I was nauseated at first but that subsided after the first two weeks and I have done OK on it ever since. It is so hard to say what may work for you since everyone is so different. Good luck and I really hope that you find some relief soon.
  • I just increased the dose to 150mg twice daily and it makes me feel kind of wierd, but that's about all the side effects I have had with it. I think the wierd feelings go away after a week or so, so I hope so. I seems to be helping with the nerve damage pain. So sad you have had such trouble. Sounds awful! :''( Hope you can find some combination of meds and therapy to help. I agree the Mayo clinic would be my next vacation! :)
  • I take Opana-ER, which works very well for me. And the side effects are much less than other pain meds I've taken (oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc.)

Your PM doc should be willing to keep trying different meds, until you find one that helps you. I wish you luck.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. I am curious about the 5 spinal cord stimulators and why so many and how long you had each of them in prior to removal. What kind of leads did you have and were those removed each time too. How long in between each SCS implant? Were they for lumbar issues?

Knowing what drug or drug cocktail will work for you is virtually impossible and may take your PM doc a good while to get tuned in. Why did you have to have the pain pump removed? Did they try anything other than Morphine in it?

Sorry you are in such a bad way. I hope the docs can figure something out for you soon.

"C"
  • Hi Helen,
    Welcome to Spine Health.... >:D<
    I'm sorry that you find yourself dealing with such pain and are in the position of trying to find something that will work to treat your pain.
    Not all pain meds work the same for everyone, and unfortunately, they all have side effects. You may be able to take another med , even if it causes nausea, by treating that with an anti nausea med as well as the pain med. I know that none of us like having to do that, but if you are getting decent levels of pain relief from a medication, and the only real problem side effect is the nausea, it may go away on it's own after a week or two, or you may need something similar to phenerghan to treat the nausea. It is not unheard of. You may have read before that sometimes we have to deal with the less than pleasant side effects of our meds in order to experience relief and that is true.
    It sounds to me like you need to seek out an anesthesiologist or more experienced PM than what you are currently seeing to find out why you've had to have 5 spinal cord stimulator surgeries and a failure of the pain pump??????? That's alot of failures and there must be an explanation for it. Did the leads migrate? Did the catheter for the pump move? It seems to me that those failures should have been explored more before removing those devices, or they should have done more testing to make sure they were going to work for you before putting you through permanent implantations.... @)
    I can't suggest any medications for you pain wise, since I am not a doctor and don't know your medical history, but I do suggest that you start by getting some answers about why those devices failed and why they had to be removed, rather than try to fix them so that you got better pain relief.
    Best wishes to you,
    Sandi
  • On the bright side, you must have absolutely AMAZING insurance coverage to get them to pay for 5 stims! =D>
  • I am so sorry you have been put through so much. When I"m feeling miserable all I have to do is read a post like yours and see how much worse things could be for me.

There is no way to compare our situations but I did suffer excruciating pain with muscle spasms. I'm going to feel like an idiot, but has anyone suggested Baclofen? It's a muscle relaxer and thats basically how it's marketed. It worked wonders and was a Godsend for me. It even helps with my muscle and ligament pain AND helps me sleep rather than waking every hour to cry.

Have a Merry Christmas, and my Christmas wish is for you to find relief immediately.
  • At last, after a long time, I found a site that meets their deliveries because Tramadol buy for my pain and after so much testing here and there, I recommend this site www.EDITED.com first and get a good deal, something that made me doubt the first, but to try to buy it, then shipping is fast, and the product is original, that gave me confidence and the second was the same, and I may rely on such companies, looking to see logically follow that meeting. <:P >:D<

Edited by moderator paulgla. Spine Health does not condone the use of online pharmacies.

advertisement