Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

prolotherapy advise needed

saliquessalique Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
hi everyone, :H
I recently went to another pain management dr and he suggested prolotherapy. I have done research on it but I wanted to know if anyone else has personally gone through these shots and what they felt like. I also wanted to know if they work for you and if you had any complications?
I feel lost and have had a big set back and can't seem to find my way after two fusions within three years and tons of pain still......I feel like I go from doctor to doctor and no one has the same opinions or solutions. I feel like there are no answers and I have to live with pain, I some how have excepted this but now I have to feel comfortable as much as I can on a daily basis and I am having major trouble dealing with just every day tasks. I have tried making rountines but I feel like i don't get anything accomplished and the days start to blur into eachother and to me that is not a good sign. I have an extremely supportive and loving family and husband but still feel lost and not myself. Please help in any way possible :)))
thank u
-salique
advertisement

Comments

• I really don't know much about this, however, had a friend who has SI joint problems that saw 2 pm docs about it. She was told that it is considered controversial and if it were to work for SI joint problems, would have to be done very early in onset of symptoms.

I don't know if insurance would pay for this. Have you asked? I'm curious.

I'm all for trying just about anything for my own pain, including many complimentary/alternative treatments, but this one sounds kind of strange to me(but I'm a bit leary of lots of stuff till I've heard it works.) This is the treatment where they inject glucose into your pain area to stimulate inflammation, right?
  • thank you for responding.......yes, this is where they inject a sugar substance, dextrose into your pain area, mine would be next to the middle of my spine on my lower back on the rt hand side.

Insurance only covers the test shot that the doctor said they do first to see if it will help, the other 3 shots are paid for out of pocket. I am skeptial a lot myself, however, these days if it is not surgery I am more opt to try b/c my pain is so unbearable. I have had the epidural steriod injections in the past and unlike those, the dr said this treatment goes inside the area of pain but not straight into the discs themselves.
  • Do you have back pain or leg pain or both? Do you have disc material left or was all removed during your fusions? If your doctor says this treatment goes inside the area of pain and your pain is in your back, how do you know that the discs themselves are not your pain generator? Do you have scar tissue in the right lower spine? Just curious as to where and what is causing the pain.
  • The big problem is that no one exactly knows where the pain is coming from. I am having pain in my lower back on the right side, and in my right knee. I am not sure if the pain comes from my back or it is just manifesting itself there and coming from somewhere else.

Also, I get different answers from different doctors that I go to, some say they left a piece in my upper back (L2/3)and some say the MRI looks clean and looks like a good surgery.

How do you know if you have scar tissue... do u know how I can tell? Most doctors say that I do but I don't know if they give me that answer b/c they are not sure what else might being going on to cause my pain.

I am actually going to another surgeon tommorow , to see if he may have any advise......
  • I went to a PM that wanted to do the prolo thing. AT first I was thinking ok this might help. He explained it to me that when they do the injection they basically re-create the pain(and actually make it worse then your current pain), then the med that is injected stimulates that area to "heal itself". Most insurances DO NOT cover this at all. The doc said that the injections are 200-800 bucks EACH! So be careful there. My PM wanted to inject the SI area also and said that I would need 1 injection every 2 weeks for 6-8 months!! Now IF your ins doesnt cover this could you imagine the cost that this would bring??? Man O MAn!
    I DID NOT have the procedure done. Not only because of the cost but because the doc wanted me on a small amount of non narcotic pain meds, that didn't even take the edge off of my pain as it was, and that although the injections would more than triple my pain level he wasnt going to help me in that aspect and said that I would have to deal with it! I have a 2yr old and a 7yr old and there was NO WAY I could function as a stay at home mom in that amount of pain, I can hardly function the way it was. But he said in order for your body to heal itself with these injections it was better to have the pain and no meds. So please research hard and long, and ask too many questions before you decide! Hope this helps a little!! MJ
  • In my case, prolo was used to ease my neck and back pain, but mainly to stabilize my pelvis; when the lidocaine and dextrose is injected, it brings circulation to that area quickly and creates new collagen (scar tissue, I suppose). I had to travel eight hours to where my therapist was, and it was worth every trip. It was NOT covered under insurance; I paid for it each time, but it was only about $250.00 Canadian at the time. I had some amazing results right away, my pelvis was stabilized for about two years, which decreased a lot of my other pain that would be cause from the instability, and I feel it was worth every penny.

That's my two bits' worth; hope it helps!

Tracy
advertisement