Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stand Up Desk? Does it help?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:/ I am wondering if any one has a "stand Up desk" that they have found beneficial post surgery. My job is pimariiy sitting at a computer however, sitting all day is not something that I can do a t this point! My boss told me that work would get me a stand up desk if my doctor writes a note of medical necessity.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks. S.
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, I bought an "air desk" (it was very expensive) online to use my computer with my high bed; and at work I had one of the desk that are used for doctor's charts screwed into a wall so I can stand and write (about $150). Its smaller than a regular desk, but it does make a difference to be able to stand. A stand-up desk is a whole lot cheaper than a zero gravity chair!
  • I have one that goes up and down so I can sit or stand. My manager had it installed before I got back to work. I work with many people who had different types of surgeries so our work installs them if needed.

I recommend getting one.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    is to make sure you get up , push away from the computer, do some stretches and walking. You should not stay at your computer station more than 60 minutes out a time. No matter if you have a $25 chair/desk or a $5,000 chair/desk.

It may be true that different environments will make you feel more comfortable, but that also adds false security. As long as you are comfortable at your workstation, you are not going to think about getting up.

If I spend more than 70 minutes at one time I will suffer the rest of the day. Being a programmer, its so easy to let the time just slip by. I have a software alarm clock (info provided and still very grateful to Bruce, our Moderator)
    that gives me a warning on when to get up.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • But I do have a laptop stand that I am so happy to have purchased. It allows me to lay completely flat and use my laptop in comfort. My arms have somewhere to rest so I do not tire quickly. If you are interested just PM me and I will send you a link.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I used one pre and post discectomy, made a huge difference. But to Dilauro's point, you have to step away and keep moving around on a regular basis, you can't stagnate standing or sitting.

I don't stand now as its too painful, but I think post-ALIF I will likely use the standing option again (judging from what I've read here). With a timer to remind me to move around!!
  • This is a very old thread, but I'm hoping my input is still pertinent. I've been dealing with low back pain for nearly 30 years, and sitting for long periods of time always exacerbates it. A standing workstation is great, but varying one's position from standing to sitting, and taking breaks from any one position after an hour or less has kept me from stiffening up during the course of a day. I also work in front of a computer all day, but I drink a lot of water (usually around 3 liters), and it doesn't take long before Mother Nature calibrates one's biological clock to get up and move around. Stretching is also a good idea for those who aren't too self-conscious, but I've found that even taking a walk around the office does a world of good.
advertisement