Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Three weeks, first PT today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well,
Although I still havn't figured out why I am getting dizzy with hot and cold flashes I went to my first physical therapy appt today. I was very happy with the therapist and the place that was chosen. I have had some baaaad physical therapists in the past so I was very happy. I now have a better idea of where my body is, what things need to be worked on here in the present to get the process started. I didnt leave there in pain, but did feel that the exercises are beneficial. I was a bit nervous since it has only been three weeks but I feel like finally something is going to give me my independence back (I know patience still very important and there is a lot of work to be done). But having the knowledge of where I am and where I need to get to lifted my spirits actually. I thought it might set me up for the feeling of defeat but actually I felt the opposite.
My therapist is great and takes things at my pace which helps me gain his trust. Like I said Ive had some bad ones in the past. He kept the session light hearted which always helps.
Right now we are focusing on my legs alot as well as my foot that used to suffer from drop foot. We really are not doing much with the back just yet, its not ready for a whole lot. But he says we can start with a good base and work the legs to begin. I will be in physical therapy starting out at three times a week! I know what I am working towards, and I know where I am at now. So from yesterday to today, as one day at a time goes so far today has given me hope again. Just wanted to share since I was so lost yesterday. Cross your fingers, pray or whatever you do that this dizziness and vertigo goes away soon. >:D<
Erica
Did you all know that holding ten pounds out in front of you with arms at full extention puts nearly 100 pounds of pressure on your back...thats insane!
advertisement

Comments

• Wow, you are so young to be going through all this. You have such a great attitude, you will do great in PT. Keep it up, don't let anything or anyone discourage you. Remember to listen to your body and don't overdue, sounds like your PT is like mine, he was great too and took therapy one step at a time. Good Luck!! ;)
  • that's awesome! I too have had some horrible experiences with PT. How did you find this one? It seems like there is one on every corner around here, but to find a good back PT, now that's a difficult one.
    Keep up the good spirits and best wishes in your PT.
  • was recommended by my nuero, and the two are in the same building so they are very familiar with the types of surgeries the docs do and I think that has made a HUGE difference. They can work side by side...the nuero and my PT if need be they have full access to all my stuff which is right down the stairs. Finding a good PT is hard, so much to my relief I found a stand up one who handles my type of injury, post surgery very often.
  • to have a positive attitude but ohhhh....gooodnes...yesterday I had a poopy outlook. But we all have bad days and that was one of them. Even this morning I was still a little grumpy, but I felt better after PT. Just have to not allow myself to get in a rut when I feel down. Thats why I appreciate all of you and your replies >:D< keeps me away from a rut situation
  • Hi-

I also had my first session on Tuesday. Like you, I am very happy with the office. They are actually in the same suite as my surgeon and work directly with them. So, I didn't even have to fill out any paperwork. I loved how they first took time to listen to me and allowed me to ask questions, checked out my capabilities, etc. I know they are very used to working with people in my situation which was very comforting. The only bad thing was that they are closed next week for the holidays, so I have to wait until Jan 5 for the next session. I will also be going 3 times per week. The only exercises they started me on this week was a couple core stomach muscle strengthening.

One funny thing about my session was that it was on the 10th floor and while I was there they had a fire alarm. Everyone but my PT and DH left and walked down 10 flights of stairs. :jawdrop: The PT said he wasn't going to let me do that unless it was a true emergency. Thank God I didn't end up having to do it. The PT said to my husband, "she could do it, but you wouldn't want to live with her the next 3 days afterwards." :))(

Anyways, glad your session went well and you are happy with your PT. I hope the dizzyness and vertigo goes away.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!

Julie
advertisement