Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery needed ?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
This is my first post. This is a great forum!

I need advice on whether I should go in for surgery or not.

I had severe leg pain for 3 months (aug/sept/oct 2008), but the leg pain just went away november (last month). When the pain was there, it was extremely hard to walk on my right leg, even sit. Now I can walk normally, sit etc, but I'm unable to do heel walk on my right leg. The physiatrist I'm seeing says that it is an indication of weakness. I also have a little tingling and numbness at the big toe and first toe. Also, walking for more than 30 minutes seems to hurt the front of my lower leg (shin). The MRI shows a massive L4-L5 disk herniation.

Do I need surgery for these symptoms ? Will the weakness get worse if I don't have it operated on ? Or am I by any chance on the recovery path, in which the sciatic pain was the first to go away, and the weakness and tingling can also improve over the following months ? Would greatly appreciate any advice.
advertisement

Comments

• Usually your Dr. should order an EMG and also refer you to a Neurologist for you weakness and referral to an Orthpedic Dr. Are you on any meds? I'm taking Lyrica for the leg tingling and sciatica. Do you have a Pain Management Dr? I can't really say if you should have surgery but unless there is nerve damage from compressed nerves my Dr. told me no surgery. There are injections and meds to help while you're waiting for surgery. I'm going conservative with no surgery for as long as possible. Try to get a second opinion if you're going for surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • you need to research all your options and learn what you can. I just went through this and had surgery nov 20 so far so good but no picnic. It is scary and personal and at the end of the hour you will have to decide for you. It sounds like your a candidate no doubt but a lot needs to be considered. If you want more specifics about anything i know please ask ill keep an eye out for you. best of luck.
  • thanks charry and fused CS-I for your advice!

charry: the physiatrist did bring up EMG once, but then said it didn't seem necessary as the symptom of weakness seemed obvious. He has asked me to see a neurosurgeon, probably will take 2-3 weeks at least. I had pregabalin for a month. Also had neurontin for 2 months, and nabumetone, which I believe is an NSAID.

Fused CS-I: I will try and learn more about my condition. Until now I wouldn't have even known what dermatomes were if I got bit by one, and now I'm almost needing to draw them in 3-dimensions!