Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am curious is there is anyone

asmithaasmith Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
out there that knows anything about pregnancy and the spine stimulator?
I am a chronic pain patient...and although, I came to terms that I could not have any more children...I recently have decided to try to pursue conceiving. Whether its a death sentence or not..I want to absolutely know for sure all the pros and cons. I want another baby badly and think that there has got to be a way to do this. I have searched online and havent found anything re risks with the SCS.
My game plan for the worst case scenario includes - weaning off all meds, getting pregnant, having my mother move in when I am 6m, going on bedrest, then having a c-section so I dont push.
I have had two vaginal births, but I dont think trying to do it the 3rd time will do me any justice.
I dont have the scs now, but my PM wants me to consider it. I havent shared my desire with her yet, as we werent sure of it all until recently.
I am welcome to all opinions.
Thank you.

Alina
advertisement

Comments

• I had an L5-S1 fusion in 2004. I had the fusion because I had a torn, bulging, leaking disk. I pretty much didn't think that I would be able to have a child. The doc said yes go ahead though. Well I did still have pain after the fusion BUT during my pregnancy I had vurtually NO PAIN!! I did have some mild back labor when I went into labor but not all that much. I had a vaginal delivery with no epidural, and this was my second vag delivery. The doc said the pain disipated (sp?) due to the fact of all of the hormones that we get and go through during pregnancy.
    My back felt awesome for about 6-8 months later. I am now again back in pain in the L5-S1 area. I have changed my doc AGAIN! I LOVE my neuro BUT it seems that he is at a loss and I have asked for a CT and he wont have that done. They keep doing injections and all they do is make the parts that dont hurt , hurt. Or the parts that hurt hurt worse. I have never had S1 joint pain before. The neuro did a bone scan and was certain that was where the pain was coming from, although I was pointing in the L5-S1 area, so he did an SI joint injection, now guess what???? YUP I have pain there everyday now. So my new doc is doing a CT, thinks I might have failed fusion along with a few other things. Finally a doc that is not telling ME where my pain is, he is letting me tell HIM where it is!!! And he is listening!!!!
    Anyway to sum it all up, be sure to ask your doc. If you are already dealing with a lot of pain please be careful. I think that if you wean yourself off of your meds (well under your docs ok of course) and are off of your meds for a good couple of months or so you will be able to truely see where your pain level is. I noticed that when I took myself off of meds, due to my OLD PM completely over medicating me, my day to day pain lvl seemed a heck of a lot less then when I was on teh meds.
    As far as the SCS and pregnancy, I have no answer for you, I am sorry. To me personally though, I wouldn't have the SCS while I was prego. It would probably never affect the baby but it still makes you wonder if it truely would, you know?!?!?!
    So please discuss this with your doc, and if you THINK/FEEL that you want or might want to become pregnant again, I PERSONALLY would hold off on the SCS until afterword. With the way our bodies "shift" around during pregnancy I think it would be a risk of some sort. Sorry this is so long, hopefully some of this will help! Good luck and keep us posted! MJ
  • My back got better when I was pregnant!
    I wouldn't consider pregnancy at the moment - Can you actually carry/cuddle a baby? Push a buggy? Bend over and change them?
    They are physically demanding and take a massive toll on our bodies pregnancy and after!
    Just my thought.

Good Luck.

I would sit down and have a good chat with your family doctor and spine doctor with your worries etc.