Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not Sure Where to Post This - I need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
found this forum by searching on referred groin pain. I have been dealing with this for about 10 years on and off. No doctor has ever been able to (or cared to) find out the cause of it. I don't have insurance. I had a car accident 14 years ago and suffered a ruptured disc in my neck (c5-c6) and I've had lower back issues ever since the birth of my son in 1977. About 10 years ago I got my first groin pain. It just comes out of the blue and feels like an electric cattle prod. The pain will last anywhere between 1 and 30 seconds and then be gone. Then another one will come sometimes a minute later and sometimes 20 minutes later. Most of the time the episode will last for a few hours and then be gone. Sometimes to come back a few weeks later and sometimes I will not have an episode for over a year. Whenever I have told doctors about it they, at first, think it's my ovaries. But once I point to the exact spot they all say "oh that's more in your leg". It is in the indentation between my body and my inner thigh. One doctor said it's right on the femoral nerve. The one time that I went a year and half without an episode, I was doing 1 hour of pilates a day. Does anyone have any advice for me? I live in constant fear of the pain, it is so intense. I am always on edge that it's going to strike.

Thanks for listening.
advertisement

Comments

• It's hard because none of us can give medical advice and we can only share from our personal experiences. You should get a complete work up by a Dr. and make sure everything is okay. What kind of treatment did you get from that ruptured disc? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know you all can't diagnose me or tell me how to fix it, but I guess just knowing there are people who understand really helps.

Like I said, I don't have insurance. But I have been to three different doctors and one visit to the ER (one night when it was really bad and I had just had enough). One of the doctors poked around the area and said, just take ibuprofen 400 mg every 4 hours (every day - forever) and that would keep the pain from coming back. One doctor said that it could be referred pain from scar tissue (I had a cyst on my left ovary removed in 1985). One doctor said if exercise helped then I should just try and work out every day. None of them gave me an actual diagnosis. The night I went to the ER they seemed much more worried that I'd been taking too much ibuprofen. They insisted on doing a pregnancy test (even though I told them my husband had a vasectomy 9 years ago) and they did a pelvic exam and tested me for STD's. I even asked them why would they even check for STD's when I've been having this pain for almost 10 years - wouldn't an STD have shown some other symptoms by now? They didn't have an answer for that. They sent me home with 4 Loratabs and a $2,000 hospital bill and no diagnosis or advice on what to do when it comes back.

I think about the pain every day, even when I'm not in pain. I am constantly expecting it to come back. Anytime I wake up in the night, my first thought is - was it the pain that woke me up? I know that this side of it - the constant worry - is something I have to mentally and emotionally deal with. I just feel like, if I know WHAT is causing it - I can live with it.

For the ruptured disc I did PT for about a year and the neck pain is usually pretty under control as long as I get some regular exercise and do my stretching routine a few times a day.
  • I think having a pain diary would help. When the pain starts, what you were doing at the time. I think that may help Drs find out what's up. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That's a great idea to keep a pain diary. I too had similar pain but it was while I was pregnant. The docs thought the baby maybe pitching a nerve or something. I also have low back problems which I've had all my life so I don't know if it's from that. I did have this pain once in awhile prior to fusion (which I forgot all about until I read your post). It is very difficult dealing with pain or thinking about another flair up. I would only have bad issues with my back about once a year. Every day inbetween my flare ups, I was always in fear of having another episode or wondering if what I was doing was going to cause me pain later on. Then one day I got out of my car as I always do and felt another flare up. The only difference was that this one didn't go away like it had years passed. I just wanted to let you know I understand what you are going through and sympathize with you. Feel free to chat anytime and you've come to the right place for advice. As you mentioned and others have, we aren't medical professionals so we can only offer advice, opinions, support and understanding. Sometimes just hearing, I know how you feel...literally...really helps.
  • I've heard that it's not good for your stomach to take ibuprofen for a prolong period of time. I too take a lot of ibuprofen and I take vicoprofen. Does anyone have more info on this?
  • Um just something I am throwing around in my brain about your groin pain. Would you try this for me? (I will try to explain it right). While going in a sideways direction, take a moderate step to the right with the right leg, then bring the left leg in to the right. Repeat that several times and let me know if it increases your pain, decreases it or if it remains the same. (There is a method to my madness and a reason for asking.) Nope, not a doc here, but I am wondering about something. Let me know, k?
    Laura
  • but not at the crease of thigh. Mine is halfway between my belly button and the crease in my thigh. The first time that it happened I thought that I had a hernia. It lasts for more than a few minutes but is associated with my back issues. Good luck in getting a diagnosis. Be persistent and you will get an answer. Please keep us posted.
  • Hi Justducky.

Groin pain is something I can relate to as I have had it for several years. Mine seems to be related to a bulge at L4-L5. Unlike yours, however, my pain is relatively constant. It's always there although the level of pain goes up and down. It has affected my sex life as it makes sex painful. I have an appointment in a month with an orthopedic surgeon. I am hoping he can offer some help. I will be happy to share whatever he says.
  • Like you I have groin pain. Mine comes from damaged nerves at L3. Happened because of failed back surgery. Unlike you, mine is chronic and never goes away, however, the pain you are describing sounds very similar and is in the crease of my thigh where the femoral nerve runs through. Just curious, do you ever feel bruised on the top of your thigh, or get tingles that run down the inside of your leg? I'm not a doc and it's only personal experience, but it could be your back. If you already have a problem in your lower back it certainly is possible. Have you ever had a nerve conduction (emg) to check nerve functions. It would probably be the best way to determine if it is spinal or female.
    I've had the gamet of female problems ovarian cysts (bad enough to have to have them removed) endometrial complications even wrapping my intestines, none of them ever caused pain in my groin the way the nerve damage does. Felt female pain in my ovaries, intestines and had contraction like cramps. Not the same pain I hear you describing.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.