Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pregnant 4 months post op L4/L5 and L5/S1 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a minimally invasive TLIF done in May of this year. I had degenerative discs with nerve damage on my right side. They fused L4/L5 and L5/S1.. In October, much to mine and hubbies surprise, we found out I was pregnant. I'm 31 and have been told since I was 18 that there was no way I could get pregnant without fertility treatments because of the severity of my polycystic ovarian syndrome.

It's now the end of December, I'm almost 8 months post op and 4 months pregnant. I assumed my fusion was going well, my pain was minimal up until these past few weeks. Now I'm back to not being able to roll over in bed without crying and having my husband help me out of chairs and off our couch again. I've called my neurosurgeons office to set up an appointment for over 2 months, but due to a lot of little different mishaps we've been playing phone tag. I plan on camping out there as soon as they open after the holidays to get an appointment to talk to him.. I have no idea what to expect with my recovery process and this pregnancy, I just know that I'm scared to death...

I'm so full of questions, I plan on addressing these with my neurosurgeon as soon as I can see him, but with the holidays and such it may be a couple of weeks.. any help before hand would be greatly appreciated.. I've read that you're supposed to wait until 2 years post op before trying to get pregnant.. Is that true? My brace doesn't fit anymore, I tried to put it on to help with some of the pain last night.. is there one that can be worn during pregnancy and help with some of this pain? I can only take Tylenol for the pain I'm feeling, and that's not cutting it at all.. And what about delivery? Will I be able to have a vaginal delivery? epidural?

Has anyone else been in my shoes?

Thanks in advance for all the help..

Jennifer..
advertisement

Comments

• I wish that I could offer you answers to your questions, however I can not as I've not been in your shoes. I am here to congratulate you on the baby and to say that I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain during what is supposed to me a wonderful time in your life. This baby is God's blessing as you mentioned were told you could not conceive children so I am sure that you and your husband are truley grateful, estatic (sp?), scared, nervous and a hundred other emotions all at once. I wanted to offer my support to you.

I wish you the best of luck with your precious miracle as well as getting answers to your questions.
  • I was allowed to take tylenol with codene while pregnant with my son because of severe pain in my legs and back over 7 years ago so make sure you check with your OBGYN to see what is ok to take that won't harm the baby. You may want to seek a high risk OBGYN since you are so soon after surgery. I was fortunate to already have the best OBGYN due to problems I had with ovarian cysts that started when I was 16 and I still have her. I hope you have a really good one too due to your female issues.
  • Jennifer,

First of all, congratulations! Babies have a tendency not to come on command but whenever they decide to do so. I have read several posting here when people got pregnant shortly after back surgery, so it is not unheard of. It is important that you work closely both with your spinal surgeon and your OBGYN doc. Hopefully with their help, you will be OK. Of course, you really have to watch out what kind of medications you take, so discuss that with them also.

The timing may not be right, but it is a happy event nevertheless.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Hugs,
    Kin