Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home from ALIF fusion!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone :H I am 9 days out from an ALIF fusion, L5-S1. donor bone graft, plate and 4 screws. I have about a nine inch vertical incision on my tummy. OS said everything went great. I spent 4 days and 3 nights in the hospital. Pre-op back and leg pain is gone. The pain I feel in my back area is very different..more of just a sore and stiff feeling in the disc area. My leg pain is completely gone in my left leg. Only some discomfort in my right leg from the knee down...no pins or needles feeling, just more of an ache.

By all means, this was the toughest surgery I have been through, but each day is getting better and easier. I'm down to only 4 5/325 Percocets and a couple of Neurontin a day. Due to the abdominal incision, Gas-X has become one of my best friends ;)

Hoping eveyone else who recently had surgery a speedy recovery!! >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• I am glad to hear that you are home and are doing well. I pray that you will have a speedy recovery. Please listen to your body and your doc's restriction and watch the BLT.
  • I am glad that the surgery went well! You said that you have leg pain still a little bit? Did you have leg pain in both legs before the surgery? No one can figure out why I have leg pain in both legs. I was told that I am not a canadite for the discectomy(sp) because I have pain down both legs :? :?
  • Heidi,
    I actually only had sciatic pain in my left leg before surgery...the one that had always hurt. Since surgery, I have no left leg pain at all, but my right leg hurts only from the knee down. :? Not a severe pain or a pins and needles feeling, just a sore, achy type feeling...just like you can't get that part of your leg comfortable.

I'm sorry to hear you are having pain in both legs, wow :''( I personally don't understand why that would not make you a surgical candidate because you do have a herniation, right? I guess different docs have different views. I hope your search finds you a doc that can help you out!! >:D<
  • . . . to hear that you are post-surgery and getting stronger everyday!
  • I'm glad things went well and you're home. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I'm glad your legs are better. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hope your recovery is smooth. I told my husband the other day that my PLIF surgery and recovery was far worse than child birth or other surgeries that I've had. I'm now 3+ weeks post op and feeling so much better. Take care and keep walking!
  • I'm glad to hear you are feeling better also!! I have my first post-op with my OS today, so I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I agree with you 100%...this surgery takes the cake. Yes, much worse than childbirth @) I wish you continued success in your recovery >:D<
  • on your recent surgery and recovery process. It gets better everyday, just take it easy. I also have lower leg issues with odd feelings in it. I am taking Lyrica for it and it is helping but my hands/feet seem to be swollen a little. Best Wishes on a steady recovery.
advertisement