Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new and need your help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi I have DDD and have had 1 surgery to date, a cervical corepectomy of the C5,C6,C7 with plate and screws. I have been experiencing pain in my right thigh, calf and ankle pain and have had an MRI and visit with the Neurosurgeon that did my earlier surgery. I was told to hold off on the lumbar L5-S1 fusion unitl the pain gets to the unbarable stage. She has already said that I have some diminished feeling in my right leg. My question is why waiting is a good option, won't the nerve damage be progressed by the time the pain is worse? Do most folks wait for the pain to be horrible before they resort to surgery? This is very confusing, I have been told the cervical surgery is mild in comparison to lumbar surgery, but I am afraid to wait unitl the nerves are irreversably damaged.
Any and all advice is appreciatied.
Thanks :S :??
advertisement

Comments

  • Look for a 2nd opinion surgeon. I've been in pain since February and they sent me to a pain mangement Dr to get injections to help my leg sciatica and also had injections for facet joint pain. I'm taking alot of meds to control the pain. Most Drs can tell by a physical assessment and a EMG test to make sure there is no nerve damage before they send you for surgery. I notice alot of people never had to wait so long for surgery also. I guess it depends on the Surgeon in some cases. But I would try everything first before surgery for sure. I have a 2nd opinion Jan 22 and to see if I'm ready for surgery. I hope you check out all options before surgery and wish you less pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The surgeon I saw said that from my MRI bone on bone is pinching the nerve so I don't really get why she isn't wanting to do surgery, I will however take your advice and get a second opinion. Good luck with your 2nd opinion.
    I wish you less pain too.
    n2waterdogs
  • I just had C4 through C7 worked on on 12/17/08. The doc had to go in the front of the neck and back to remove old hardware from two previous surgeries in the past.The doc of the first two said he didnt put enough "filler" in to help it heal right. The first two were in the front and now both directions. What I'm asking is, does the pain in the muscle that had to be cut through ever quit hurting or the shoulders quit hurting? I live in Minnesota and this cold weather seems to be freezing my titanium plates too. Is this normal? I want to go back to work in a few months but I lift alot so I dont know if I'll be able to do that either and sitting at the desk kicks me too. Any advice would be GREAT. Thanks all.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I live in Minnesota also, up north to be exact. The muscle pain will most likely disappear but the nerve pain may not as in my case. I'm not sure about the freezing of hardware as I have a strut, cage, plates, rods, and screws installed both anterior and posterior. I am fused from C3 thru C6. I will wear a turtleneck shirt or a dickie if the weather is severe but don't feel as if the titanium is absorbing the cold. You have to be careful lifting as it could herniate other discs in your neck. Has your fusion taken hold? If you are fused
    adjacent joints above and below the fusion may fail down the road, just what
    I have read, may not always happen though. I understand not wanting to do a desk job, I have to be moving so I don't hurt the entire day.
    Take care and PM me if you have any more questions.
    Ranger
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.