Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Soma and Klonopin

tonya42ttonya42 Posts: 810
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
Does anyone take this combination? I've never taken either of these. I'm a little afraid of them. I've not ever taken anything this strong. Am I going to be able to work tomorrow? I'm suppose to start on them tonight. The Neurologist prescribed them to help with the muscle spasms that I've had for quite a long time and I'm glad to be trying something new. He thinks that if my muscles rest at night when they should then I will wake up without the spasms. I sure hope he's right. I want this to work.
advertisement

Comments

• What dosage, and how often? That will determine the answer to your question, most likely.
    JWM
  • I'm only taking them at night. It's 1mg of Klonopin and 350 MG of Soma. I can take one or two. I took them last night and it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it might be. But I don't think I could take 2 somas EVER!
  • i would not suggest ever taking two somas at once, but if that is your Rx, thats up to you. At 1mg klonopin and 1 soma, I think you'll be just fine every day, especially taking it only at night. Do your best to not increase to more klonopin; it works great, but can be very hard to get off of if your body gets dependent on it (higher doses, and more doses per day, i.e. 1mg 3 times a day). Sounds like you are doing fine though; bye!

JWM
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi Tonya,
    Please look them up and read all the material on them.www.rxlist.com.
    My issues were lumbar but I remember taking soma. Anyway interesting material.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I did look them both up on rxlist the other day after I discovered the site existed. I still didn't like what I was reading. I really hope this is a short term thing because I understand that both of these drugs are extremely addictive.
    JWM, Don't worry. One knocks me completely out. I wouldn't ever try to take 2. He gave me a thirty day supply of both but I'm hoping that it doesn't take a month for them to work. So far not a very noticable change in my muscle spasms. How long should I give it before I think it's not working? My doctor did suggest that we could tweak it until we found a dosage that does work. I hope he's not planning on going up on it! I think I'd end up in the ER having my stomach pumped. Or is this just my irrational fear of these drugs kicking in again?
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    After I read your post I looked up the drugs on rxlist (I love that site, tells it like it is with no bias) And didn't like what I read!
    I use diazepam 5mg. for spasm's at night. The pm. doc. prescribed 5mg. also for the day. but I don't like to take it that much in the day.
    None the less, it works well for me with no side effects.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I've been on 10mg of Valium 3 times a day for 2 months now and taking percocet 4 times a day and I wasn't getting any relief at all. I think I may just need to give it some more time. But it only have until Monday morning when I go back to my ortho doc who put me on the valium and percocet. He called them baby drugs. I'm still having shoulder and neck pain but it seems to move from shoulder to shoulder. I still live on a heating pad and I'm afraid the Soma is making me entirely too loopy in the mornings to keep taking. I'll never get back to a full day's work if I can't adapt to the Soma soon. It's just a good thing this week has been a holiday week. I'm needed desperately next week in my seat at my desk every day.
  • For me, it takes me 2 to 3 days to adjust fully to Soma, after which it has no effect on me whatsoever, other than helping with my spasms, knots, and such. If it is making you that loopy, they DO have a new smaller dose, which is 250mg instead of 350mg, which you might want to ask your doctor about. It's NEW, new new, and is name brand, but available now. Might be an option for you, but I wonder though, as your pain is still there and the heating pad too.. You might, and this is just my opinion, but you might get more relief from better pain meds, such as a light MSContin, (time release morphine vs your percocet, or together with), than with the Soma. You don't sound happy with it I guess.

Spinal/nerve pain and the like tend to be inconsistent at times, hence the moving from side to side; you may just need a better pain med.

The klonopin sounds like it's fine w/you; definitely only take it short term if you can, and less is better for sure. I got stuck taking it every day 3 times daily, and honestly, I'm stuck for life. It's ok, the side effects are zero for me, but I just can't get off it, and that's that. Happy new year! Bye
  • I woke up this morning and tried to pick my right hand up off the same pillow I had it rested on last night when I went to bed and it was dead. I mean picked it and dropped it and didn't feel a thing. Scared me so bad I jumped out of bed at 3:30. It now about 4:00 am and as you can see I can use my right hand again after much shaking it to death and rubbing the crap out of it. I can only imagine that the Klonopin did that.So Klonopin is off my list of meds until I see my ortho surgeon Monday morning at 8:30. I thought I was going to wake up paralyzed! Scared the living daylights out of me!
    JWM I do seem to get better pain relief with the Soma than the percocet but I'm also afraid of MS Contin. Have you taken it before?
  • like i wrote you on myspace i hardly doubt it was the klonopin that made your arm like that. you most likely slept wrong and pinched a nerve.

as for the comment of the mscontin you know i was on a low dose mixed with dilaudid for my recovery of the aortic bi fem.
    it was ok. depends again on the person and the issue.
    but in no way would i go into the drs office throwing around med names to them. that usually in alot of cases throws a red flag. not always but sometimes. depending on your relationship with your dr.
    as for the ortho saying valium and percs are baby drugs??? hmm first to hear that one. alot of times your lucky to even get percs out of the ortho ahahaha ya know my take on that one to well ;) ;) ;)

i would give it time sweetie. you have only been on them a few days...
    it takes our bodies time to adjust. as long as your not getting sick or any other symptoms listed in the phamplet you should be good to go....

ok iv said enough don't want to get in trouble =))

love ya lots pumpkin HANG IN THERE
    terri O:) :X
  • maybe try 1/2 the dose of the klonopin, but you know best if it's not helping you. The thing with your hand, I would definitely attribute to sleeping position as mentioned before. I had that happen when I was about 15 yrs old; I woke up and both arms of mine were ENTIRELY dead asleep; it was a frightening experience, but not med related in any way.

Terri is right though; we will talk about a LOT of things on here, but your doc might get cold feet if you toss around medicine names. Sometimes it's best to just describe to them the situation for which a certain med makes sense for you, and let THEM fill in the blanks with what they are comfortable with.

Have you tried ever tried vicodin/norco? When my back was not so bad, years ago, soma and norco worked wonders for me, but when I tried percocet for a month, the soma still helped but the percocet didn't really do much at all. I always found the active med in percocet (oxycodone) to only work for me with accumulation; i.e. if I took one, then another 3 hours later, then another 3 hours later, THEN I would get relief. But one at a time, spread apart, nothing. The norco works for me just fine one at a time, randomly. You don't seem too keen on trying strong stuff, maybe another percocet equivalent is worth a try..?

As always good luck finding the right meds when you see your doc, and take care! Happy Holidays

JWM
  • I know that I didn't sleep on it because it was on a pillow on my belly when I went to sleep last night because of the numbness and tingling in my hand during the day. It was still on my pillow this morning. JWM I just hate pain meds in general but I also like being functional. My ortho doc had me on the Percocet and Valium combination then I went to a Neurologist because I have Chiari Malformation which causes headaches. Well he felt my shoulders and felt the knots and that's when he changed my meds to Klonopin and Soma and took me off the Percocet and Valium. So now I don't know what to say to my ortho doc on Monday morning except maybe "Sorry." I feel stuck between these two doctors. I told Terri earlier I feel like I'm on my way to the principals office Monday morning. I know they are both doing what is best for me but NEITHER of them have addressed my tingling in my right hand yet. But Terri you know what I was thinking about this today and I wonder if it's because of the 3 hour long MRI I had last Friday. I wonder if the tingling is a pinched nerve somewhere from laying there for so long. I never even put these two things together until just a little while ago. As you can tell it's 11:15 pm where I am and I am wide awake because now I'm afraid to take anything! So here I sit with my back on a heating pad wishing the spasms would just stop and my hand is still tingling which will surely keep me awake. I'm seriously considering Tylenol PM until Monday when I see my ortho again.
  • only had Soma, but it works great for my muscle spasms (much better than Skelaxin and doesn't knock me out quite as bad as Flexeril.)

I hope you find a combination that works for you. That hand numbness would have also scared me to death! Glad it was short-lived.

Cheri
  • I am so afraid to go face my Ortho surgeon this morning to try to explain all of this to him. I really didn't go to the Neuro to replace my medications for my spasms. I still havee the same headache I went into his office with. But I think he's putting the pain in the back of my neck together with my headache. I hope he's right. I haven't taken the Klonopin again though since my experience the other night. I went back to my baby Valium instead and would gladly tell the Neuro's office if they would ever call me back. Which they never did so I did what I thought was right for me. I know my ortho doc will be happy to never have to write me a presciption for pain meds again if I can learn to tolerate the Soma. I just want the tingling in my right hand to stop and I want my spasms gone. Could he suggest something for nerve pain? I know a lot of people on here take things for nerve pain. That's the only thing I want my Ortho to do for me today.
  • I have taken the generic for klonopin - clonazapam for a long time. It helps so much with anxiety and panic type feelings - I don't know what I'd do without it. It makes me feel more calm and if this makes sense, see things more rationally and also it helps me sleep, my dosage is 0.5 mg
    and I take 1 in the morning when I wake up, 1 (if I need it) around 3 p.m. and 2 at bedtime.
  • I have had my drugs messed with so many times in the last 2 weeks I feel like a tennis ball. I have tried to call the Dr's office twice about the side effects of Klonopin. I absolutely could not tolerate it. He started me out on 1mg at night only. But I want my Valium back! I was doing very well on it for my panic attacks since I had gotten used to it. He gave me more Soma since it works better for the spasms than the Valium was doing. He also started me on yet another new pain med that I had never heard of Ultracet? From what I've gathered it's Tramadol with Tylenol in it. I've never taken Tramadol either. So I don't know what to do anymore. I just do whatever I'm told.
advertisement