Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Happy to have found an active forum!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone.. Im Jennie- I live in North Eastern USA...
Ive joined quite a few Pain Management/Spine forums and groups and they always seem to turn into duds where no one EVER TALKS.. So ive lurked a few different boards for a few weeks trying to find an active group... I dont think there is a better one than this!
I wish I would have found it a long time ago!
ANYWAY-
I am 31 years old, and have had surgeries on spine and legs-triple spinal fusion, Harrington rod, and hardware in left leg which was later removed due to hardware failure.
Ive been seeing a wonderfullllll Pain Management Doctor since 2002.
At this point, pain management with medicine is my only option although I do hope that some day a surgery will be invented that will cure me for good!
Again, glad to have found the board, everyone seems so nice, and its great to see such an active group!
JENNIE
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Jennie,
    Welcome to the board......I'm a newbie here also and have posted a few times and have always gotten a good response. I'm grateful for this board and the people here.
    Hope you'll stay........
    Kim
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come to a great forum and it is busy from morning to night. <:P i am often on at night as i cannot sleep. I) i look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you better. i also use medications and other conservative treatments to control my pain. i hope you enjoy yourself here and join in as much as you like. :D good luck on your pain treatments as well. Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine Health. As forums go, this one is by far the most active with meaningful content that I've ever seen.

"C"
  • Welcom to our little village on the web! I hope your time here will be excellent and warming to ya!
  • I'm also new here and am having my first fusion next week..I hope you can find some relief soon. I have been doing the pain management route for 9 years and have had enough...luckily (I think), a fusion is the only way for me...so we'll see

I do think that there are advancements coming about these days, so who knows what the future will hold...but never soon enough for all of us
  • Hey everyone,
    I have posted a few times and agree that this is the best forum I have read...I feel comfortable with expressing myself here. Thanks everyone. :*
  • I love the place already :) .
    I forgot to write in the original forum that its also nice to see such an understanding group....
    Ive also joined groups before and it was horrible because everytime someone (especially a new person) posted, someone YELLED at them for SOMETHING. And im serious. People are literally sitting around waiting for posts to be up so they can pick them apart and tear apart the poster lol.
    Ive left a few of those just because I felt so bad for the new posters all of the time!
    Its hard to be a newbie in forum world lol...
    This is by far the friendliest forum Ive found !
    Thanks to everyone for the welcome !
    Jennie

• Welcome to spine health. We are all here to support you. You have been through a lot at a young age. You are fortunate to have a good Pain Management Doc. I do hope all the best for you. I have found people friendly here too.
  • Me? Young? Well thank you lol!

Ive had a lot of surgeries, starting at 21. The last surgery was in 2002 and Ive been in Interventional Pain Therapy since.
    Although it isnt the most convenient way to live, Its the ONLY way at the moment.

Its amazing the amt of info on this sight! I could literally sit and read threads for days, and never get bored, AND learn SOMETHING new in almost every thread.

Everyone in chronic pain/spinal injuries/etc should be referred to this sight!! :)
  • I'm in pain management too. Mostly just meds I had facet joint injections and 3rd epidural Dec.6. Back to pain management Dr. on Saturday. I'm not sure what's up then. What's interventional therapy? Have you tried biofeedback? Take care and glad to have you here. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think Interventional Pain Therapy is really the use of meds, thats just what my clinic is called.
    Ive done the injections but for one thing, i might just be a big baby but i dont think theres anything in this world that hurts worse than those do!

My pain dr does injections, and after he tried them the first time he said THAT was IT- he wasnt doing it again lol.. I bawled around and had to stay in the office for almost 4 hours because it made my blood pressure so high. (I NEVER have high blood pressure!).

SO ive been using only meds for relief for quite some time.
    I am rxd OxyContin, Ultram, and Norco... The OxyContin im allowed two a day, BUT I only ever need them a few times a month. Im one of the few people that like Ultram and I do use it, I also take the Norco as prescribed, every day.

OK- BIOFEEDBACK.. I havent a clue what that is!!!!! Please tell me!
  • haha =)) I don't know what it is I thought you would know. I'm interested in trying it though
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have to say though- I dont have the troubles with my PM that Ive read from other posters here. WOW some of these threads are crazy. I just got done reading one where you have to be seen twice a month, your pills are counted, bottles are checked for dates, you are urine tested and you are fingerprinted at the pharmacy!
    You have got to be kidding me.
    There are cups in my docs office for urine screening, but in the years ive been there, (about 8) ive only been screened twice. And once was my initial consult. You do take your meds with you, but he doesnt count them. Though i guess he could!
    I ALSO DONT LIVE in a state where all that script monitoring comes into play either. I think a lot of the doctors that impose all of those rules are almost forced into it after their STATES start all that stuff! Hopefully my state doesnt enact any of those laws for a long time lol.
    I should knock on wood, but ive never had anything happen to my meds or anything happen where I ran out and had to call him, so maybe thats why he doesnt do the screens? WHo knows! I really dont think he would refill even if someone stole mine though.
    I know when I started seeing him I signed a contract saying NO refills for ANY reason, EVEN with a police report! So god forbid if anything ever did happen!

ANYWAY, i just happened to be reading some posts about PMS when I saw the reply on this one, so thats what sparked my rant on the subject. Thanks for listening!
  • HAHHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=))
    Usually when I write LOL, im not really doing it, but when I read that, I really am LOL. LOL.
    Im an LOL addict...
    Not dependent, addict LOL.
  • Im looking it up- Now im curious...
    IF ITS PAINFUL, i dont want any biofeedback though!
  • I swear I just looked that up and this is what i got:

Biofeedback therapists are professionals who specialize in biofeedback.

HAHA-- that really clears things up!
  • You won't fiod kinder people anywhere O:) ) But some of us are in very bad pain and some days our fruststations and pain may come through and we may not alway be so sweet-I'm sorry it that happens to you-I will never do that because I'm just not that kind of person, but if you see such a post-please forgive the poster. We are only human aferall :X

So sorry to see such a beautiful and young person in such pain but I have found a pain shared is a pain halved and that may be part of the biofeedback that may help you. You fel thye pain, you share and we relate and you feel better just knowig others understand. Feel it in your heart and soul-it may help you or make you laugh at thwe silliness of it all-either way it takes your mind off yourpain for a second :) Welcome again!
  • I just noticed you have MSCONTIN on your meds. That is time released Morphine?
    Do you think it works well?
  • Totally understandable Turtle.
    I myself have those days. Im like you, I still wont take it out on other people. But I can understand it happening.
    The forum I was talking about earlier, these people did it every day, post after post. I really think they were just trying to be mean!
  • I used to be on a time released Morphine pill, for the life of myself I cant remember what it was called- I remember it being a capsule and there being millions of little clear balls inside of it.
    I know it made me sick and I wasnt on it very long. I dont remember it being called MSCONTIN, though-
    That must be something different.
    Ive had a few really good months, directly after having a few REALLY BAD ONES. So right now, im not having to use the time released so much (mine is oxyc)...
    But just wondered about the Mscontin for possible future attacks.
    What is it in the two that makes up the "contin"?
  • Morphine sulfate continous. I take 60 mg 2X day sometimes I take my night dose only 1 pill early if I'm having too much pain. I have percocet for btp but rarely take it. I'm glad I'm not in the States where there's agreements and pill counting yet. Yes Turtle is that biofeedback or distraction? for humour to get your mind off the pain. Charry
  • I just did some reading on the biofeedback... Still dont get it lol..
    Well, I guess I get it, but im not sure what it would be good for, to be honest???

I dont think thats the same thing i was on a while ago. Still cant remember what it was called, but that doesnt sound like it.. Does yours have a million little clear balls inside a capsule?
  • OHHHH
    CONTINUOUS..
    I just got that part-
    So OxyCONTIN, is continuous OXYcodone and then the MSCONTIN is continuous Morphine. Nice to know!
    I dont remember that morphine pill having any CONTIN in it but i know it was supposed to be a time released morphien pill. Ive never taken anything that made me as sick as that pill did.
    It was probably 4 years ago that I was prescribed that though so it might not be a real popular thing anymore. Is mscontin new? Maybe it replaced that kind of pill.

Ive always taken the meds my doctor decided was the best for my circumstances, and never really been curious about others, just taken them. Since I got into the forums and groups ive gotten more curious as to what is out there, and what I have taken and what exactly it was that ive tried in the past, etc.
  • Biofeedback is basically using some sort of monitoring system while you yourself try to relax and bring your heart rate and blood pressure down. Some are also about getting better blood flow to all parts of your body.

For instance, an easy one. Tape or connect a thermometer to your finger and focus on changing the temp. It means you are changing the blood flow in your hands. (remember the old mood rings ... ) If a person wearing a mood ring got it to turn blue, then they were supposed to be happy ... it just meant their hands had good blood flow, which in turn means the rest of their body does and hence pain levels have a tendency to come down.

Some systems they use will have a computer screen showing you thing to aid you in bringing down your heart rate and blood pressure.

An Interventional Pain Clinic is typically one that treats pain by means other than medication. To "intervene", is to "interfere" in the pain cycle. These clinics typically specialize in Epidurals, Blocks, Rhizotomies, Acupuncture and Neuro-Stimulators.

"C"
  • i have finally figured out that the rod the doctor put in my neck to hold my head when i had my neck broken has come loose and does not show on a mri now.....do any of you know where the rod would go and how big it is it was screwed on at c5 c6 thanks will be watching for answer please help

nancy in canada
  • I keep retyping this sentence because everytime I type it out, it sounds like im totally dissing BIOFEEDBACK, when Im not...Im genuinely curious and genuinely confused about it-

So with that in mind- What good would that do someone? I can easily see that helping with someone who has anger issues, stress issues, etc. But not pain? I can even see it helping with weightloss/smoking, as you could "calm" yourself when needing the cigarette/food, etc... BUT w/pain control, could you actually teach your body to respond to pain and lessen it this way?

Thanks for the Interventional Pain def., also.. That would explain the type of clinic I go to. They do all of those things but also prescribe medication. Im sure any clinic that does anything to Intervene in ones pain problems would technically be a Interventional Pain Clinic? Just depends on whether they elect to include that word in their title or not, i would guess!
  • Do you know if its a harrington rod?
    It used to show up and now it doesnt?
  • It has been proven that things like certain breathing techniques, meditation and biofeedback, can all work as a PART OF a pain management program. Not completely. Stress is a great trigger for pain or increased pain levels, so if you can reduce the stress, in essence you can reduce the pain or shorten the timeframe it is around.

Some Pain Clinics are all about medications and no procedures and therefore are not considered to be Interventional Pain Clinics. I see where you are coming from and in essence are right by definition, but ....

"C"
  • I am in almost the same boat that you are in. I had a failed surgery last year and now I am left with no option but the meds. I too am hopeful that one day soon a new spinal technique will come along and fix my problems. Until then, we will all continue to support one another.
  • That is very interesting, and I really mean that.
    Im really up for anything and will research the biofeedback subject more deeply.
    My "Interventional Pain Clinic" has two offices. One office is where you go for appts and refills/etc.
    The other office is actually like being in an Operating Room/ER. Its set up for him to do all of his xrays, injections, etc. Ive personally only done the injections one time, and like i said in the one post, it was bad. I bawled and ended up being there for a long time because my blood pressure went up so high. It hurt SOOO bad. Maybe I just have too much hardware for that stuff, I dont know, but i wouldnt ever try it again!
    My PM does many diff kinds of injections, diff kinds of spinal cord stimulation, radiofrequency denervation, also does the morphine pumps, and that kind of stuff. And of course meds.
    I was just surprised to hear that there are PMS that do the stuff listed but dont go to meds, as it seems to me as if that would be quite a big part of anyones pain management, even if it is for a limited time.
    PAININTHEBACK- and Like painintheback, im in a stage where im just w/meds, as the other therapies just arent an option for the problems causing my pain. Of course I was a little discouraged to hear this at first, but My DOC also has told me that these meds are made for people like US, People shouldnt have to live in pain, that is why these meds are out there, and in no way should I sit around and feel bad about using them, SO after that lecture, Ive just taken the meds, LIVED A NORMAL LIFE (TY DOC) and until something is invented to help, this is where Ill be!

Ill try anything once, even twice if it doesnt hurt that bad lol. Sounds like biofeedback isnt painful, so that could be an avenue for me,and like I said before Im certainly going to look into it!
    Thnx for the info Hagland!
advertisement