Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Info on Anyone With Bone Stimulater

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a TILF 3 weeks ago this Thursday and visit my surgeon tomm. Anyone who has a bone Stimulator can tell me how it works and why your surgeon used it. I want to have every available thing to help my fusion be a success so want to ask him about them tomm. Anyone who has or has had one, any info would be appreciate it. 8>
advertisement

Comments

• My NS RX'd an Ortho-Fix unit for me b/c of my 2 priors, my general weakened condition (thin, chronic lumbar problems etc) & not wanting to take any chances. I used it from Jan-Oct & I am fusing. Your insurance co will need to approve it (mine cost about $5000) so your doc will need a reson to have you get one. B/c there are mixed reviews as to their success rate, some insurance co's will deny them if there's not a real need for you to have one.

Ask him what he thinks, that's a good idea. He'd have to approve it anyway & write the RX for it.

Hope you are healing well from your recent TLIF! Rest a lot now! You've been thru the mill!

~Lakeside
  • My dr gave me this one to wear after my 2nd fusion surgery.

http://www.biomet.com/osteobiologics/products.cfm?pdid=7&majcid=16&prodid=162

My insurance wouldn't pay for mine, but my dr gave it to me anyways (at no cost to me!!). My machine costs around $5,000 too. What they do is stimulate blood flow to the area which stimulates bone growth. I'm different than most people in that my machine also cuts down on how much pain I feel on a day to day basis. Don't know or understand why, am just glad it does (I notice a BIG difference if I leave mine off for awhile). My dr has me wearing mine 24/7. I got mine about 3 weeks after my surgery (which was on 8/21), and he wants me to wear mine for another month and a half yet. 5 months total.

Someone else started a link awhile back asking about the same thing. Here is the link, so you can read up on what others have had to say.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/bone-stim-good-or-not-good-poll

Good Luck!! :)
  • My surgeon also prescribed the Orth-fix bone growth stimulator for me and I actually got it while I was in the hospital. I was told that I was getting one because my fusion was two levels. I wear it 4 hours per day. Mine doesn't make any difference in how I feel. The only issue is that it is kind of bulky and for me is uncomfortable when I am laying down on my back. But I have started to get used to it more, and the nice thing is that I don't have to do all 4 hours continuously. I was told that I would probably need it for four months. The way I figure it, I am willing to do anything I can to make sure that I fuse well. :D
  • At the time my OS performed a three-level fusion on me he also inserted an Ebi Bone Fusion Stimulator. The electrodes are on the implanted bone chips (allograft mixed with autograft) the leads were connected to a small lithium battery pack that was placed just under my skin. I only heard one other person who had this type of internal bone stimulator. Maybe they only use it during multi-level fusions. My insurance paid for it. It performed well, as five month after the surgery I was almost completely fused. I wonder if it may have helped with pain reduction, because I did not experience any post-surgical pain at all, and after I left the hospital (3 days) I had no need for any kind of pain medication, other than for my usual headaches.

Kin
  • Hi Robin, I have a BGS. It was delivered to my hospital room. My insurance paid for it. I only have a one level fusion. I guess my only risk factor is being overweight. My surgeon orders one for all his fusion patients. I only wear mine for 30 minues a day, but will use it for 9 months. Here is a link:
    http://www.djoglobal.com/bonestim/medpro/spine.asp
advertisement